Poll: Are you a feminist?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
TWO DEFINITIONS ENTER! ONE DEFINITION LEAVES! TWO DEFINITIONS ENTER! ONE DEFINITION LEAVES!

Wouldn't be the Off-Topic section without at least one semantics thunderdome :D

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
In the real and true sense of the word: Yes. In the "I'm an asshole and all men can eat shit" type? No.

As for the qequality of women's rights? I was the librarian for a couple years at an all-girls school, where I gave the girls as much advice as I could... which was part of my leaving as it wasn't what the school promoted. Not to mention the fact that most of their mothers were trophy wives as it was a private school. I did things like telling the girls to take up a trade, not to be embarassed to play video games, beat guys at sports and don't dumb yourself down around them to seem prettier, as many girls do.

However, I don't support a lot of the "movements" women have going on, as they are pretty damn stupid and demeaning. Trying to own something demeaning is a brave ideal, but things like "Slut Walks" are just stupid as all shit.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
When someone says feminist, I can guarantee a good percentage of people will translate that into "Feminazi sluts who think they're superior to men!" which is why I usually avoid labelling myself as such.
Of course I want equal rights, any decent person should want all humans to have equal rights.
I think we're taking huge steps in the right direction in order to achieve this. As far as I'm aware there's no pay difference between men and women over here.
Unless of course, the man is in a higher position than a woman.
My job doesn't pay blokes more and I can't think of any places that do.

We can vote at the same age as men, we can be priests, we can go out and hold a job down while supporting the family. I'm sure there is a law they're trying to pass to let women be bishops?

I wouldn't dream about shoving my thoughts down people's throats. I do have a friend who is a bit bad with that, she was having a go at me because I didn't vote in the last election.
That's disgusting! How dare you not vote! Women died to give you the vote!!

She wouldn't listen to my "I'm not registered and lost my passport so can't sign up to do so" excuse. Also I'm pretty sure she was exaggerating the amount of women who supposedly died. I'm sure I read somewhere it was a pretty small number, but it has been about 6 years I was taught about it in school.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Yep.
If I meet someone who automatically dismisses me or judges me for saying I'm a feminist, they aren't worth knowing anyway.

But I must say, this gaming forum seems more interested in talking about this than I am.
It kind of baffles me.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
TWO DEFINITIONS ENTER! ONE DEFINITION LEAVES! TWO DEFINITIONS ENTER! ONE DEFINITION LEAVES!

Wouldn't be the Off-Topic section without at least one semantics thunderdome :D
The fact the OP provided the definition in which to operate from, I find it rather refreshing. But even the definition, which is repeated several times in various definitive texts, still tends to differ from person to person, as evident in this thread.

I typed more, but then realized I was ranting...

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Equality is nice but i'm lazy so you won't find me fighting for the rights of anyone. Posting in threads like these is about as far as I go.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Not really.

While I try to be fair to everyone regardless of things like gender or race, I'm too pragmatic to believe in complete equality.

I see Humans as a collection of similar, yet ultimately different people, which isn't a bad thing because it's these differences and variety that makes mankind wonderful, but I recognise that different people have different strengths and weaknesses.

Some of these differences are due to physical traits, some are due to learned behaviours or skills, but ultimately I can't believe in or advocate complete, unbiased equality when in any given situation, it would be impractical not to favour the most capable person for that situation.

It's because my outlook could be possibly be (mis)interpreted as sexist, misogynistic or prejudiced in some other way that I can't make any claim to being a Feminist.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Nasrin said:
I find those definitions of feminism to be sorely lacking. Feminism is the crazy idea that everybody deserves to be treated like a human being, regardless of things like age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
What you've described is egalitarianism with a humanist twist, actually - though feminism can potentially compliment egalitarianism.

To respond to the OP,

I'm not an egalitarian because people are not equal and trying to treat them as such seems disingenuous. However, I could perhaps be called a humanist because I speak to everyone (at least initially) as though they have the potential for greatness (even if that potential is obviously going unfulfilled thus far).

I'm not a feminist because I think we shouldn't be taking common-sensically-made gender distinctions into account when working toward what really matters: ethical progress.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
Depending on the definition of the word I may be in some regard. However I believe that forced equality is wrong.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Nasrin said:
Radical vs mainstream feminism, yes.
Jonluw said:
And as is the problem with any movement, the radicals are the ones most people think of when they hear the name of the group.
And thus arises the whole 'femnazi' problematic in the public conscious.
Okay, for the last time, radical feminism refers to a school of feminist thought that places responsibility for the oppression of women at the feet of a patriarchal social dynamic expressed in intra- and interpersonal interaction.

It has nothing to do with hating men.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
In terms of the most basic definition, yes I am all for the equality of the sexes (to a viable extent).
But in terms of how it is currently applied in the real world, no.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
Pow right in the kisser this is so dead on. On a related note a person told me that they disliked the Gay rights movement simply because it shouldn't be gay rights it should be human rights and I actually found myself agreeing and in a lot of ways because feminism was the same way with women I feel they have lost there way. What started out as making things even for both sexes a noble and worthy cause has turned into a mixed and matched message that even feminists don't agree on. I have a feeling the gay rights movement will end up being in the same boat in a decade or so from now because of this. Of course this is speculation and my opinion as long as everyone is happy I am happy.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
But the world has so many connotations to so many things.
Maybe we should start naming feminism subgroups.

I consider myself the product of third wave feminism. I reluctantly call myself a feminist, but proudly do so.,

this is the problem with labels

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eh...if you're going with the official definition then technically I am. Like others have said I don't identify as one but I do believe that men and women should be equal. I believe they should be equal in all ways though.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Yes, I'm a feminist. I'd like to have females equally represented in video games. I kinda feel like that's the fight I'm part of, right now.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I consider myself a humanist, and I feel that such a label encompasses feminism. If you're a humanist, then you're a feminist, since women are human. A humanist stands for equal rights, treatment and laws for ALL humans - men, women, black, white, poor, rich, etc.

Now, granted, the world cannot be composed of just humanists. It's too broad a group, and since it tries to fix everything, it'll end up probably fixing nothing. Feminism is an essential component of humanism, and feminist activists should focus on feminism - after all, someone has to.

I just prefer to call myself humanist.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Feminism is a very good idea in theory, but in practice it sometimes leads to pure stupidity. See "Sexual harassment Panda" from South Park.