Poll: Are you a Hipster?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Last week I was talking to this girl and she kept making comments on how much of a hipster I am. I was shocked. That was the first time anyone had ever made such implications about me and I found it odd. I had never considered myself a hipster before and I did not like the idea of being sorted into such a category.

Suddenly interested, I went online and started looking up the criteria that makes for a hipster. Sure enough, i had all the mannerisms and tastes of a polite, educated hipster. Thankfully, I did not enjoy most of the fashion choices of male hipsters (i.e thrift store style and those ridiculously tight jeans. Seriously, what's with the pants?) except for my one favorite fedora. Strangely, I do fit the ideal male hipster body-type.

So here's my question to the Escapists. Are you a hipster? Are you a hipster by choice? Perhaps you fulfill all or most of the requirements of hipster-ism but have never thought about it before?

Share your thoughts, share yourself.

EDIT: Okay, for all of you who are on the fence or have never heard the term before, I first looked up the definition of "Hipster" here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

There seems to be a division between people who have hipster qualities as opposed to those who identify themselves as hipsters and are complete douchebags. The definition I found puts hipsters in a decent light. Then again, there was a seperate article called "hipster douchebag"

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I am a bit of a low-budget 2000's cinema hipster, yeah. *puts on glasses* But I bet you've never heard of us, we're not mainstream.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
None of the poll options really summarise how I feel about this. I might be guilty of a couple of hipster habits or mannerisms, but I don't think of myself as one. To attempt an analogy, I've enjoyed a couple of horror movies but I'm not a fan of the overall genre.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not too sure what the definition of "hipster" is, me, seems a bit vague...or maybe we just don't have them round here.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I don't know really. It seems that if you like even the slightest of obscure things, then that automatically makes you a hipster and you should be eviscerated. So if we were to go by that definition, then yes I probably am a hipster.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Trick question!

A true hipster will never admit to being a hipster, as that would put you into a category, and hipsters don't belong to any system; LIK EH BAUSS!!!

Incidently, my sister goes to Grinell College in Iowa, which according to the Huffington Post is the biggest/best hipster college in the nation.

A sample of their work:

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Possibly, in the ever-ready to accuse sense, in that I like many less-than-mainstream things.

I don't blindly hate the mainstream or consider myself better than people who don't like what I do, though.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
AssassinFisH said:
What on earth is a hipster?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hipster
That just about answers you.

OT: Nope.
Also, what's up with the fact that there are multiple ways you can choose yes or possibly yes, but the only option for no is some kind of shocked and outraged "Absolutely not!"? :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Id say the escapist is somwhat the "hipsters" of the gaming world

no not really....however (this is stupid I know) I get a false sense of elitism when I listen to rap or other genres that people dont like as "ha I understand this on a level you obviously dont....sure have fun listening to your gunn'n roses/pop music dumbass"

YES I know thats completley stupid and untrue...but eh I like rap

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
No way in fucking hell am I a hipster nor will I ever be a hipster. If I ever encounter one, I will promptly punch them in the face for being a douche bag and an idiot.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Vern5 said:
So here's my question to the Escapists. Are you a hipster? Are you a hipster by choice? Perhaps you fulfill all or most of the requirements of hipster-ism but have never thought about it before?

Share your thoughts, share yourself.
The other day my friend called me a hipster. I am not super skinny, I don't dress like a hipster nor do I do things for the sake of irony. I don't really think I qualify as hip in any way nor paint my nails and yet there it was. I was insulted by his completely groundless accusation. Now if you'll excuse me I have to listen to some Preteen Zenith. They're kinda like a symphonic version of Women mixed with Yasushi Ishii before they both went all *mainstream*. *puts on headphones*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm still not entirely sure what a "hipster" is. Going by context it appears to mean "a white middle class person who I don't like".

Anyway, I've never thought of myself as a hipster and nobody has ever applied the term to me. However, some of the traits I have seen people assign to hipsters are ones that I possess. For example, apparently studying for an arts degree (yes, yes, I know) is indicative of hipsterdom.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I dont think so...Nope...Im not...

Im to much of a jackass to be a douchebag

Sounds like a good shirt but then dbags would wear it for irony and it would lose its value

Also this is The Escapist
I demand a etest of some sort to back your findings!

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
I've been called Goth before, which I found a little odd, but understood why someone might think I was. I was wearing my leather trenchcoat at the time and my wardrode is exclusively black with dark blue jeans. I don't wear make-up and can be quite a cheery person when I want to be and am not being overly cynical and wracked with bitterness and pessimism.

But yeah, OT: I hate hipsters and would rather break my own fingers then be one.