Poll: Are you a PC, Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft person?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. If you had to cite one platform of video games to declare as the one you support above all others, which, of either PC or the three main console makers, would you choose? Please give a reason for your choices.

Sep 14, 2009
ho boy, this is going to be quite a nice thread. can't wait to see all the respectful opinions and such.

Plus the people who come in and complain why this thread isn't locked, those are always the fun ones.

anyways, PC mostly due to its openness and massive amounts of mods and tinkering. Steam sales and the like don't hurt either.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Is it just me or do all consoles have crappy names? PlayStation sounds like a workplace, XBox sounds like something a corporate management focus group consisting of 40-year-olds came up with ("Put lots of 'X's in it! The kids will dig it!") and Wii is something you hire a guy to do on you from a shady wet works website.

Where are names like 'Odyssey' and 'Genesis' and 'Dreamcast'?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Have to be a tie bewteen Sony and PC. I mean, my PS2 and PS3 has been my primary form of gaming for nearly all of my life. I only started really PC gaming a year ago, sure it's been a total blast. But I can't just kick Sony out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
PC. If/when I do get a console it's usually Playstation or Nintendo (mainly handhelds for Nintendo) but if the idea of exclusives just up and died tomorrow I wouldn't set my gaze close to a console. I'd still get a handheld of some kind probably, for convenience sake.

Since I've been able to afford a fairly decent PC it's just kind of... better than having a console, to put it bluntly. 1080p, 60fps, KB+M or controller if I prefer it, don't have to pay for online, being able to alt-tab out. Just the little stuff really, it ends up making a big difference to me. It's been about a year and a half since I finished this one off and it still runs things fantastically, even with mid-tier parts. The only change I've been thinking about is getting a fan or two put into it but otherwise it's going to last a few more years at least.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
All of the above?

"Above all others"? Oh, well then.

PC, followed by Sony, then Nintendo, with Microsoft bringing up the rear.

As for why, well, I like the slightly less limited "freedom" of the PC. If I want to play my games with a controller instead of keyboard&mouse, I can. Hell, with a bit of work the PC supports almost any kind of controller; I use my PS3 Dualshock pad.

Also because I can easily go back and play older games like Sonic Adventure DX or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or X-Men Legends II, Warcraft II or Starcraft, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Betrayal at Krondor, Fable, and (aside from availability for purchase if the situation might call for it) the only limitation on my ability to play them is my ability to tweak and replace files that might not be compatible with new operating systems. Sure, there's an amount of backwards compatibility on the consoles, and it does cover many of my most favorite games which are the ones I'd actually feel like ever playing again, but it's still not the same breadth.

Lower pricing and regular sales of games is a plus as well, of course. I like having physical media, but there's no way I would've ever purchased even half of my 140+ game Steam collection at $30+ per game.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
PC followed by Playstation. Simply because I like Japanese import games.
Nintendo hardware gives me a pretty consistent feeling that I bought the wrong thing. Doesn't seem like a great strategy.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
All of the above as well (well, except for PC but even PC I game on a bit)

Each generation, a new champion seems to be crowned in the fight for my gaming habits.

NES was victorious in my 1st gen
SNES was victorious in my 2nd gen (I did have a Genesis though)
PS1 was victorious in my 3rd gen (I did have a N64 though)
PS2 was the clear victor in my 4th gen (I did have a Xbox and Gamecube though)
360 was the clear victor in my 5th gen (I do have a PS3 though)
??? will be the victor soon...

That doesn't even take into consideration that I've had each Nintendo handheld system at some point (though my 3DS collects an awful lot of dust sitting there).

As for this generation, it's going to take time to see. Microsoft blew their freaking leg off before the race started but they've slowly been building back up since then. Nintendo is far back in the pack to be considered (though it's likely whichever wins between Microsoft/Sony, a Wii U may sneak in anyway). Hell, if none of the systems impress me, I may even...*shudder....become a PC gamer.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to declare my allegiance to one and only one right now, it'd have to be Sony. Their future and the PS+ program looks much more appealing to me than sticking with Microsoft.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm a Sony guy.

If a game is good a game is good, but it's generally been the Sony exclussive titles that have drawn me to their platforms ever since the PS1. It's also been them that have inexplicably thrown millions of dollars into a project they most likely knew wouldn't sell for shit, but did so anyway, like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Journey. I've always liked that about them.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Nintendo.

I grew up with their systems, so I guess it's partly nostalgia, but I find the games appealing and fun. I don't really care if people think it's "kiddy"; as long as I enjoy it, it doesn't matter.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Can't pick between nintendo and PC. They've both got things that the other can't do that I want (PC has shooters, RTSs, Modding, and Good online play, but Nintendo has portability, JRPGs, and platformers).

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Sony for me mainly.

My first console was a Playstation. And most of my favorite games span across almost the entire Playstation line.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I grew up on the SNES but I've been a Sony guy since the PS1. I had the most fun on the PS2 - never did a system harness these many good games. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Odin Sphere, Dragon Quest VII, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, God of War... anyway, only recently got a PS3 and while it doesn't exactly pack the magic of its previous iteration I think it has the best exclusives of its generation.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Microsoft, really. I don't like many of their choices and I was against getting an Xbox One while those deadly three cancers were on it, but I'll be damned if I say that I haven't used the Xbox 360 more than any other platform since it came out. I played the hell out of the original Xbox at a friend's house when I used to go there like every day. I even own an Xbox One and have not set it or myself on fire yet.

Of course the only constant in my gaming life has been PC, but that's just because my Dad was never a console gamer and never will be (unless it's AssCreed time, clearly).

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I choose Nintendo, if only because I get more use out of my handhelds than any other devices.
The Escapist is a PC dominated site so I'm not surprised to see it in the lead.
I want to get into PC gaming, there really are so many benefits to it. I most likely will down the line.