Poll: Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'll buy it when they release it.

MammothBlade said:
I couldn't care less. Maybe HL3 will be good when it comes out, but it's got so much to live up to with all the hype, I'm sceptical. I made a thread a while back about how it will probably be a disappointment and all.
At least its only been hyped by abject silence out of the company, and repeatedly ignoring questions directed to them about it.

Artlover

Apr 1, 2009
Doesn't matter how many polls, threads, jokes, memes anyone creates. There is no HL3 and no one is working on it as far as anyone knows. What exactly about that can't people grasp? Or maybe the fan boys are just trying to be so damned annoying that they break down and make it just to shut everyone up, ensuring that it would be horrible. Of course, it would probably be horrible anyways even if it wasn't a 'shut up the fan boys' release, simply because it's been hyped too much by the people who don't understand it's not real.

Every gaming site. Facebook. Every other web page. Tired of seeing delusional HL3 crap everywhere I look.

It doesn't exist. Get over it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I consider HL3 like the Higs-Boson, string theory, and the female orgasm.
Those who's job it is to know about these things, tell me they are real. They also tell me I could prove for myself that these things exist if I spent as much time studying them as they did. I unfortunately have other interests.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Yes, I've been waiting patiently for quite some time.

People saying it's vaporware don't have a clue, Valve wouldn't be uptight and refuse to talk about a game that they aren't making. And the fact that they clearly aren't devoting resources to much else right now says something. Then there's the whole Borealis easter egg that they snuck into Portal 2 that people seem to forget about. They've also confirmed that they're making Source 2 but won't role it out until they have a proper game to do it with... what would be better to do that with than the next Half Life. Ya, it's totally canceled.

Considering the level of quality control Valve has, and their tendency to be ambitious, I would expect the next Half Life to take a while. And honestly I'm fine with waiting as long as they deliver in the end. I believe Shigeru Miyamoto put it quite nicely.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever."

The episodes were decent, but it was obvious the series was going nowhere fast with that model.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Valve are saving up so they can release a game literally just called '3', which will be a giant mashup of all third instalments from them that are yet to(currently) come.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Nope. Half-Life was a good game. Half-Life 2 was vastly overrated. Following on from 2, and knowing Valve will follow that wonga scent, I'm certain Half-Life 3 will be the prettiest FPS game to date, but I doubt it'll be in any way innovative in its gameplay. That's just my opinion, sorry to say it.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Nope. Half Life 2 was fun but it wasn't good enough for me to really care about getting a sequel anytime soon.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm definitely excited for whatever they'll make, be it HL3, Episode 3 or whatever they ultimately do. With that said, I'm not exactly holding my breath, nor am I very hyped at the moment.

When something gets announced, however, I'll be on the edge of my seat, because chances are I've shat enough bricks to not be able to sit properly anymore.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I was interested in it and waited a bit for it when I first finished it (about four years ago), because I though it was going to be announced soon. It never was, and I basically just lost interest in the entire story due to time to the point where I don't care about HL3 anymore.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm hoping it comes out primarily for the story. I want to know what happens to Gordon Freeman and his friends. I want to know who G-Man is. I want the Combine to be wiped out.

But there's no hope, so we might as well forget about (or accept that it has no ending) one of the most critically acclaimed game franchises of all time, right?

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
Personally, I think Half Life 3 will just be a video of Gabe Newell laughing at you while Steam permanently removes all half life content from your computer and steam account, never letting you play the game again.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
If it ever gets released, I will buy it. Other than that, not really waiting for it. I'm at the point that I don't even mind if it never gets released. There are enough good games around.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
I have a debilitating problem that keeps me from obsessing over any one game

And the up coming steam sales aren't helping either

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Nope, not really. Then again, i've never gotten into Half Life. I've always seen it around, but I never thought it was interesting enough to play.

I still haven't gotten around to actually trying it out for an informed opinion, but it's something I can watch other people react to on the wayside.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm not really "waiting" for it, I've got too much shit on my plate and too many other games lined up to worry about that. I'd like to know what happens next in the story, but I don't spend every night sitting up thinking about it. But I am sure they're making it. Last time they talked directly about it, they mentioned not wanting to make any announcements or release stuff before they actually have a substantial amount to show. And I see no reason for them to have given up on it, because unlike the studio that was making Duke Nukem Forever (which is what some people are comparing HL3 to these days), Valve is doing better than ever financially, they've had no major changes in their power structure, and they haven't been bought or sold recently. HL is their flagship franchise, they have no reason to not be working on it. They've always been arbitrary about when stuff gets released, hell how many years did it take to get the Meet the Team videos finished up?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
So I see that people are comparing HL3 with DNF again.

Let's compare the two...

DNF was in development hell for fifteen frigging years. It was announced being in development in 1997, to be released in '98. First trailer came out in '98. They dropped the game engine and started from scratch. A second trailer comes out in '99. Another one in 2001. Every time they show up for E3 they state that the game will be released very soon. In 2003 they dump all their work again and start from scratch with a new game engine. Yet another trailer in 2007. Game is canceled in 2009. Revived in 2010. Finally released under a different company in 2011 with a spectacularly underwhelming reception. Its biggest feature? You can draw cocks on a whiteboard and throw poo around the bathroom.

And you want to compare this to the fact that Valve have yet to announce a new Half Life sequel, since the last one came out about 6 years ago, despite the fact that in the meantime they've released L4D 1&2, Portal 1&2, TF2 and DOTA2 (cue the "lol Valve can't count to 3" jokes)? Edit: Oh, and of course there's this little thing that they developed and released, called Steam.

Bear in mind that development of DNF started around the same time Valve was being founded and just starting on HALF LIFE NR 1!

Yeah. Totally the same thing.

Idiots.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
I honestly don't see what everyone loves so much about Half life.

I have played much much better games, worse as well but for me its just average.

but then this is Valve and every one of their games I have played were overrated bland experiences.

well except portal and left 4 dead they were good.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
No, I really enjoyed the Half Life games, but I don't tend to think much about sequels until they have been announced. While I'd like there to be a Half Life 3 I generally don't tend to think about it unless I see it being brought up.

So until then, no I am not excited for or anticipating it, it's usually at the back of my mind.