Poll: Are you actually waiting for Half-Life 3?

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
My bullshit radar... its off that charts! Systems have reached maximum capacity! ERROR! ERROR!

Anyways, ya, this brings to mind the Call of Duty boycott. Say you stopped caring all you want, pretty much everyone here is gonna buy it when it comes out no matter what they say. I mean once all the hype starts up, all the good press it will almost certainly get, etc. etc. etc. almost everyone will start to overlook the wait. Me, I don't really know, I still have to finish HL2 so who knows if I'm gonna buy it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nah, I'm fine with Team Fortress 2's steady influx of free updates and players. Half-Life 2 Episode 2 was six years ago, I don't care anymore.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
When game development begins to take too long, I just stop caring. See Last Guardian.

For Valve games I've never hugely invested but the technology always intrigues me.

I just found it hilarious how most of the episodic distribution model failed:
Half Life 2 Episodes get constant delays
Sin Episodes gets cancelled after the first installment.
Penumbra trilogy cancelled after the 2nd game, third game released on a low budget.
Telltale Games actually succeeds with their adventure games.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
At this point, the only way I'll be excited for Half Life 3 is if they announce that Norm Macdonald will be the voice of Gordan Freeman.

"Hey, yeah, thanks buddy. When I found myself teleported into the heart of a totalitarian alien regime, the first thing I thought was, 'I really need a crowbar.' So thanks, Barney. Thanks for the crowbar."

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Half-Life 2 has always just been a solid game to me.

I don't consider it among the best games ever made, or the best shooters ever made or even the best game released that year.
It's just a high quality shooter with some good voice acting and a lackluster storyline.

I'm sure I'll buy Half-Life 3 on a steam sale about 6 months or a year after it is released but it's not the kind of game that has me hyped enough to buy on day one at full price.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Insofar as I know it will be great, I want to play it, and it will come out eventually, yes, I am waiting. In the meantime, I have a lot of excellent games to play, and waiting doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lilani said:
I'm not really "waiting" for it, I've got too much shit on my plate and too many other games lined up to worry about that. I'd like to know what happens next in the story, but I don't spend every night sitting up thinking about it. But I am sure they're making it. Last time they talked directly about it, they mentioned not wanting to make any announcements or release stuff before they actually have a substantial amount to show. And I see no reason for them to have given up on it, because unlike the studio that was making Duke Nukem Forever (which is what some people are comparing HL3 to these days), Valve is doing better than ever financially, they've had no major changes in their power structure, and they haven't been bought or sold recently. HL is their flagship franchise, they have no reason to not be working on it. They've always been arbitrary about when stuff gets released, hell how many years did it take to get the Meet the Team videos finished up?
Ninja'd.

I swear, sometimes I think you're my doppleganger.

You've put to text almost exactly the line of thought that popped into my mind the moment I saw the thread title.

Pugiron said:
What a stupid question. As opposed to what, not waiting for it? Does that mean someone is not going to look at it when it comes out, or that they are playing it now? Does waiting for it mean you are going to pre-order it, sight unseen? If so, who cares what you think, you're insane/retarded! Everyone is either not going to buy it if it comes out tomorrow or they are waiting for it until it does come out.
Seems my second thought was also ninja'd.

Seems I'm just late the party today...

Also, I love that quite a few people, who themselves say they were never fans of the games in the first place, felt compelled to answer a question posed to the fans.

'Course, that's not surprising. This community has come to love finding reasons to hate on the series. It's the new Halo, in that regard.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Not really, no. I used to be all "give us HL3 dammit!" but honestly I'm not really waiting for it anymore. If it does happen? Great! I'll buy it and play it like I played the others. But if it doesn't? Oh well.

Honestly, if there's anything I want a third installment of from Valve, it's Left 4 Dead. L4D2 is probably one of my absolute favorite multiplayer games, so a L4D3 would make me a very happy SkyKitten.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Nope, at this point nothing will live up to the enormous hype that the fans have created for it in their head.

It is, essentially, our next Duke Nukem.