Poll: Are you finished with Bioware now?

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I've yet to play Dragon Age 2 (didn't have much interest) and have yet to buy Mass Effect 3. Seriously I can't stop hearing people complain about the ending, I've been avoiding the spoilers but how bad can it be. Did the Reapers shoot a lazar that turned everyone gay? Did Shepard win with the power of friendship? Seems to me like people are just complaining because the ending wasn't a happy one. Can you really declare that a company will never make a good game again because of an ending?

(please don't try answering my hypothetical questions with spoilers)

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I thought ME3 was spectacular! I just didn't like the ending. So Bioware made an ending I don't like....okay. Fine. I will vaguely hope that they may bring out something later in DLC (I read the the thing about "The Truth" and yeah I can't say that I'm not holding out hope) but I'm not rallying the boycott troops.

My problem with the ending is that everything I did didn't seem to matter. I had worked hard to be this paragon of virtue, trying my damndest to help everyone I possibly could. And now I have three options, two of which seem bitter in the mouth and the one I DO like is considered the "bad" option and means I have to kill allies as well as baddies. The final choice really wasn't a choice at all and the fact that I had "united a galaxy" didn't matter either.

That all being said, not every game is going to be perfect. Maybe it's because I haven't played DA2 yet (STOP! don't touch the quote button. You telling me how bad DA2 is isn't going to change my mind. I will play it one day.) so I don't feel like I've been burned twice like some people do, but I will continue to support bioware if they bring out another game I find interesting.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I'm looking forward to the next thing BioWare does more then ever with Mass Effect 3 being the best game I've every played (Hyperbole residue left obviously still a factor. Plus, like anyone else I would like to see more from the ending. That isn't a reason to stop loving the game because it would paradoxically require you not wanting a better ending.) and Dragon Age 2 being pretty damn great where it excels despite a lot of significant flaws holding it back.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Accidentally voted no (because the topic title and the poll question are opposite). This is because I believe Bioware trolled all of us with the ME3 ending and I believe Shepard was indoctrinated.

Just wait, give it a few weeks and Bioware will bring out some DLC that answers everything. You can quote me on that.

So, I will buy the next big Bioware game (not including Command and Conquer because I don't like RTS games) if it interests me (c'mon make a pirate-themed RPG!)

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Your Title and Poll were misleading.... I clicked "No"... because of your thread title, since I am no where NEAR done with Bioware... but I was drunk and your dumb "Poll" question lead to the opposite...

Your poll results are flawed.

ME3's ending was.... incomplete. Bioware isn't doomed because of it... and you are a fool to think so.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
ME3 was a really good game aside from the ending, so I don't think BioWare really failed there. Then again, I'm not really a huge fan of BioWare in general, so whether I get their next game or not depends on what it is.

skellboy

Mar 15, 2012
I really hope people aren't forgetting that this is essentially the same Bioware that brought us Jade Empire, KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Balder's Gate. Bioware will produce the games that they feel are relevant to the market and what gamers in the contextual society will want to play. They'll evolve to the standards of the community.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Yes. I still love Bioware. And i will continue to.

ME3 was a great game. Even if the ending was "sub par", everything leading up to it was gold. Solid gold. Not like minecraft gold. But like real life gold.

And DA2 wasnt terrible. It was a good game. Just a bad "Dragon Age" game. They could have called it "fantasy battles taking place in a dozen locations" and no one would have hated it, because it wasnt a dragon age game.

As far as im concerned, Bioware is 2nd only to Bethesda. They both still make some of the highest quality games that hit the shelves.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'll play Baldur's Gate again of course, but new stuff? Not likely, unless they have a major change of heart and an injection of talent. I haven't bought ToR, I haven't bought Dragon Age 2 and I haven't bought Mass Effect 3. Dragon Age 1 was the last title they did I really cared for.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Pretty much. All the negative press has kinda put me off ME3. That's not the crux of it though.
There was an article here a while ago about two people who'd left Bioware and one of them mentioned that they missed the days of the "team spirit", which had been lost as the company grew. This shows itself in how Bioware has handled PR in the last few years. Most of their recent games have, in my opinion, been underperforming, compared to the likes of KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 was good, but lacked the same shine of the first one. I wasn't particularly enamoured with Dragon Age: Origins and so I steered clear of DA2; their reaction to criticisms of DA2 was rather worrying. TOR looks interesting, but until I have an internet connection capable of even trying it out, its a no no.

If they can produce something stellar in the next few years, then no, but currently, I pretty much am finished with them.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Okay maybe the poll was wrong, I mean are you going to play a new Bioware game when it comes out?

I voted Depends, cos DA3 might redeem itself, we shall see.

I'm currently replaying Baldur's Gate 2, and plan to do Dragon Age Origins and KoTOR again some time soon, so I'm definitely not finished with their old games, new games...we'll have to see.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fuck, don't do that with the title and the poll question.
Yes, yes I will play another Bioware game. I honestly didn't think Dragon Age 2 was awful (bad for a Bioware game but there are many other games I dislike more) and everything except the ending of Mass Effect 3 was great. Fantastic even.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Does playing Baldurs gate count?

I got it back when Bioware wasn't corrupted by EA and all their EVIL!

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Oh. Look. People are finished with BioWare. How droll. I wonder whether everyone will buy the next BioWare game and whine about it and say they're finished with BioWare and then buy the next one and whine about it etc... They will. A thread like this has been put out with every BioWare release since DA2 (Or ME2. Whichever came out first, I forget), and the amount of people playing BioWare games on The Escapist doesn't seem to decrease much. Because, face it, even if BioWare has started releasing worse games (Which I will admit, it has), it's still pretty much the best company out there if you like story driven games. Unless, of course, you were deeply moved by Skyrim's main qu- HAHAHA. Sorry. Couldn't hold my laughter back.

Let's put it this way. It took me 50 hours to get through ME3 (I like to play reaaal slow). Out of these 50 hours, 10 minutes were shit. That makes it 10 out of 3000 (=1 out of 300) minutes of shit, 2990 out of 3000 (=299 out of 300) minutes of awesome. I think that is a pretty good ratio. Even if you blazed through it in 10 hours (Which I don't think is possible, but let's suppose it it) it's 10 out of 600 (1 of 60) of shit to 590 of 600 (Yes, you got it, 59 of 60) of awesome. That's probably a bigger ratio than most games.

A question to all those complaining about BioWare: If not BioWare, who are you going to turn to get your reliably story-driven games? Just curious about it, not trying to *****.

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
I won't say I'm "done"
While I loved KOTOR and about 99% of the ME games. I didn't bother with either Dragon Age game or SW:TOR.

I'm definitely less likely to assume their next game will be awesome and buy it launch.
However if they make a good game (with a good ending) I'm not gonna NOT buy it just cause they (IMO) crapped out on the end of this one.

In other words in the future I'll probably treat them like I do most publishers.
Wait for the price to go down or buy used (or both)

richd213

Mar 2, 2011
Well, ME is what introduced me to bioware's gammes and the ending was *wait for it* shit. I won't say I'll never buy one again but I'll wait until there's some sort of consensus on how good the game was.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Rariow said:
A question to all those complaining about BioWare: If not BioWare, who are you going to turn to get your reliably story-driven games? Just curious about it, not trying to *****.
CDProjekt.

The Witcher 2 was a fine RPG, as was The Witcher 1. Your choices actually mattered in a truly grey and adult fantasy setting, with a fine art style. The gameplay istself leaves something to be desired, and it isn't particularly epic, but they're our best hope for good story driven RPGs.

Also Obsidian.