Poll: Are you vaccinated agains the H1N1 aka. Swineflu?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I dunno yet. They're offering it at my school on Wednesday, but I find it pretty pointless

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
Gotta love the internet, everyone's a virologist.
Anywho, I got the shot, it's free for us non-americans, so why not? Heck, would probably have gotten it even if it wasn't. Better safe than sorry is my motto.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Not getting it, too much media hype over something that is relatively tame compared to other diseases that cause death. How many people died from AIDS today? Or how about lung cancer? Leukemia?

ColorfulObscurity

Mar 1, 2009
I have never had a flu shot and only had the flu once. :|

But I do know someone that had the vaccine and she had a severe reaction to it. Only because that was her first flu vaccine. Her skin turned red and swollen, vision blurry, and her throat started to close. She was hospitalized for about a week.

So no. I'm not going to get it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
. And flu shots themselves have a high chance of either killing or crippling you.
Prove it.
Don't just spout "facts" give us some evidence.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flu+shot+dangers
Don't be petty. You made a claim, YOU give the evidence to support it. I've looked, can't find anything saying there's a high chance of death from the vaccine. In fact the CDC have given a 1 million to 1 chance of a severe reaction the vaccine (Don't have a direct source. Second hand data here: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2009/is-the-h1n1-swine-flu-vaccine-safe/)
You have an internet connection as well. If I'm too lazy to look, and your obviously too lazy to use a search engine (you know, 'cause they're "petty") then I guess we are at an impasse and there's nothing more to discuss. Go bother someone else.
I've looked. I've found nothing that convince me there are high risks. In fact, I've just given you evidence that there's low risk. And my "petty" reference was to the LMGTFY. Why the hell should I have to look to find evidence for YOUR claim.

Either stop making statements without anything to back them up, or go bother someone else.
Or you could have ignored my statements, but you obviously revel in conflict, you just had to keep the ball rolling. That's fine if you in some small way get off on going around proving yourself right, but really, isn't there other places to do that? Yay! You're right and I'm wrong. I made a claim to something based on a combination of what I've heard and personal experience, and here you come from nowhere "ZOMG PROVE IT!!!11one". I don't have to make a claim to all of my statements and I'm sure as hell not going to do so for an anonymous faceless nobody like you. Seriously, if you want to revel in conflict so bad, go on Xbox Live or World of Warcraft's trade chat or something.

So here we are, trading text-based blows about pretty much nothing (because that's all H1N1 really is) and yet you must finger some random text out, demanding that I bring proof to a goddamned internet discussion. Internet. Discussion.

Man, those trolls on 4chan were right. The internet really is serious fucking buisness.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
No, because it's not that big of a deal in the end and if I get it, oh well. I'll just rest, drink lots of fluids, and let it run its course just like any other flu.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Haven't gotten normal or swine flu vaccines and I don't know if I'm going to. I don't really think I need the swine flu vaccine.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Scrythe said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Scrythe said:
. And flu shots themselves have a high chance of either killing or crippling you.
Prove it.
Don't just spout "facts" give us some evidence.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flu+shot+dangers
Don't be petty. You made a claim, YOU give the evidence to support it. I've looked, can't find anything saying there's a high chance of death from the vaccine. In fact the CDC have given a 1 million to 1 chance of a severe reaction the vaccine (Don't have a direct source. Second hand data here: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2009/is-the-h1n1-swine-flu-vaccine-safe/)
You have an internet connection as well. If I'm too lazy to look, and your obviously too lazy to use a search engine (you know, 'cause they're "petty") then I guess we are at an impasse and there's nothing more to discuss. Go bother someone else.
I've looked. I've found nothing that convince me there are high risks. In fact, I've just given you evidence that there's low risk. And my "petty" reference was to the LMGTFY. Why the hell should I have to look to find evidence for YOUR claim.

Either stop making statements without anything to back them up, or go bother someone else.
Or you could have ignored my statements, but you obviously revel in conflict, you just had to keep the ball rolling. That's fine if you in some small way get off on going around proving yourself right, but really, isn't there other places to do that? Yay! You're right and I'm wrong. I made a claim to something based on a combination of what I've heard and personal experience, and here you come from nowhere "ZOMG PROVE IT!!!11one". I don't have to make a claim to all of my statements and I'm sure as hell not going to do so for an anonymous faceless nobody like you. Seriously, if you want to revel in conflict so bad, go on Xbox Live or World of Warcraft's trade chat or something.

So here we are, trading text-based blows about pretty much nothing (because that's all H1N1 really is) and yet you must finger some random text out, demanding that I bring proof to a goddamned internet discussion. Internet. Discussion.

Man, those trolls on 4chan were right. The internet really is serious fucking buisness.
Wow. You're really a dick.

So, if we can just state facts and not back them up, then what exactly is the point of the thread? To just make a post and move on? And yes, I get off on conflict, that's the entire POINT of discussion, to talk through opposing views. Even on the internet. Yes, it's an internet thread and means practically nothing. But I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now and this thread is vaguely amusing.So we could have a civilised discussion and maybe actually find something interesting, or we can continue slagging each other off and accept that the internet can NEVER be used for anything other than 4chan style bullshit.

If this goddamn discussion is so meaningless as you suggest, then why the hell are you even BOTHERING with it?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Yes, I got the vaccine because I work in health care.

What many here seem to fail to realize is that the Swineflu is not the same thing as the seasonalflu. The seasonalflu is minaly a risk for elderly people and young children due to their weaker immune-systems.
The Swineflu on the other hand is weaker but has a higher chance of infection. And, most importantly, the risk category here are young adults (18-29 years old). The deal isn't that we are all going to catch it and die, it is that we will catch it and cough our lungs out for a week. The vaccination is mainly to prevent national-wide outbreaks that risks crippling social infrastructure because too many people are calling in sick and their workplaces can't continue to operate as normal.

As a closing note, ponder this: The study made on the side-effects of the vaccine found that there was a low risk for adverse side-effects (1 in a hundred thousand or a million, or if you will, 0,0001 to 0,00001 percent) and most of the side-effects were tied to a violent reaction to the virus, not the vaccine itself. You see, the vaccine-"body" is the exact same one as used in the seasonalflu, it has been proven effective for decades. Now, if the reaction is to the weakened version of the virus, would you really want to catch the living, strong version of it?
And really, who do you think knows best about these things? The doctors that have professional knowledge and work with these things (and who recommend you take the vaccine) or the journalists who are trying to sell as many newspapers as possible (and love to tell you how bad the vaccine is)?

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
No, I'm not going to. There has been less than 2000 cases in my state of Western Australia and I dont plan on going into Victoria(had the highest concentration of swine flu in the world)

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
awes0mepenguin said:
Nope. Swine flu really isn't that dangerous, people blow it way outta proportion
I toally agreee. I still got vaccinated though... my dad forced me. :(

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
I'm getting it sometime before I go home for the hollydays, as my dad's got a ridiculously low immune system (chemo sucks ass!). Better safe than sorry.

tjdrummer13

Dec 1, 2009
would be stupid to get the vacine, if you get it and the thing mutates then the vacine is no use anyway....my uncle is on the world health board, he's a doctor in melbourne and he said that swine flu was just incredibly over stressed by the media, before you know it there will be elephant flu or monkey flu. I only know of one guy who died from it and he was morbidly obese and it caught him when his health was at an all time low, even if he didn't get it i bet he would of died from a heart attack like a week later.

So in short its a load of shit and don't bother yourself about it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
No and I do not intend to get it. I've come to this conslusion based on the information I've seen so far.

1. From all the data I have, the swineflu doesn't seem to be any more lethal than the regular flu. In fact, some sources claim that it's actually less lethal. Since I never get vaccinated for the regular flu, I see no reason to do so for an equal or less harmful strain.

2. There are some indications that the vaccine might be harmful. Granted, it might all be panic-mongering, but I'm in no mood to check it out. Also, from what I understand, the vaccine was developed in a bit of a rush, so that's another reason why I'm not to keen on trusting it. If the disease was more dangerous, I might risk it, but due to the above paragraph, I'll pass.

3. If the damn thing mutates into something more harmful then the vaccine is unlikely to have much effect anyway.

4. I'm currently running a fairly low risk of exposure. I'm mostly at home studying. I go into town a few times a week, and usually for no more than a few hours. Also, I tend to time it so I miss all the rush hours and crowds.

Taking all that into consideration, I don't see how potential benefits of vaccination outweigh the potential risks, at least for me.