Poll: Are you vaccinated agains the H1N1 aka. Swineflu?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
No and I don't want it.
Swine flu is no more dangerous that standard issue flu accept that less people have an immunity to it. Standard flu kills over 40,000 people a year, where as there have been over 600,000 confirmed cases of swine flu all together and it has an estimated morality rate of 0.1%. If you do the maths thats only over 600 deaths from it ever.

It's not a massive threat to the human race. It's just a slightly more contagious flu, with the word swine glued on the end.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
No, haven't got the vacination and will never get it.
Every time I get sick (major sickness), I just go to the medicine closet and take two or three aspirines and four ben-u-rons.
Bah, none of those fancy-shmancy vacinations, my way IS the best way!

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Sven und EIN HUND said:
Swine flu was blown WAAAAY out of proportion; if I do happen to get it (very unlikely) then I'll got to the doctor and get a shot, which is all it takes.
You do know that getting the shot after catching the flu will do exactly nothing?

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
Nope. In fact, my wife & I have it. Not fun, but other than the increased body pain I haven't noticed anything different to a regular flu. My doctor insists its H1N1 though. My wife's had it a little worse, but her immune system isn't as strong as it should be so illnesses like this are worse on her. We did have an injection that's supposed to help it go away faster, but we didn't get a vaccination obviously. We attempted to get one, ironically enough, a week before our doctor diagnosed it but they were out of the vaccine.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I work in a Pathology Lab so I got my initial and booster injections free, as well as any other possible infectious outbreak.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Nope didn't get it and I don't want to, untill I see proof that the injection is 100% safe. And due to the stories I have been hearing I most certainly consider it unsafe.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Sven und EIN HUND said:
Swine flu was blown WAAAAY out of proportion; if I do happen to get it (very unlikely) then I'll got to the doctor and get a shot, which is all it takes.
You do know that getting the shot after catching the flu will do exactly nothing?
I'm not talking about getting the vaccination after I get infected... Come on. There is other treatment for it.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
With regular seasonal flu 90% of deaths are the elderly(65+). With swine flu around 80% of deaths are people between 18-64 with the median age of all deadly cases being 27.

Meaning that if you are AROUND 27 give or take a few years you're MOST LIKELY TO BE KILLED by H1N1.

More fun facts:

Around 30% of people who have contracted H1N1 are hospitalized.
Of those 30%, 11% die.

These numbers are current as of November and only cases that have been laboratory tested are included in these figures.

Yes, I'm vaccinated.

Fraeir

Sep 22, 2008
NordicFrozenBackside said:
My country (Norway) is well underway of getting its population vaccinated agains the ongoing pandemic and that made me wonder: How many are vaccinated elsewere? Are you (or is going to get) vaccinated?
I'm from Norway too, and I haven't gotten the flu yet.
Neither me nor anyone else in my family is intending to get vaccinated at all. Especially not after we got the word that the vaccine was developed several months BEFORE the Swine Flu was even discovered! Besides, for crying out loud, more people die because of regular flu anyway. It's just all the panic-mongers, 2012-doomsday prophets, naive news-whores and radical Christians who think Swine Flu is a legitimate threat.

And to add, some person (or more, I don't remember) in this county died of the actual -vaccine-, not the flu..

Swine Flu will only be a real threat if it would ever reach the proportion of a serious disease, say for instance; The Black Death! <.<
But it won't, so..

Mar 25, 2009
Fraeir said:
NordicFrozenBackside said:
My country (Norway) is well underway of getting its population vaccinated agains the ongoing pandemic and that made me wonder: How many are vaccinated elsewere? Are you (or is going to get) vaccinated?
I'm from Norway too, and I haven't gotten the flu yet.
Neither me nor anyone else in my family is intending to get vaccinated at all. Especially not after we got the word that the vaccine was developed several months BEFORE the Swine Flu was even discovered! Besides, for crying out loud, more people die because of regular flu anyway. It's just all the panic-mongers, 2012-doomsday prophets, naive news-whores and radical Christians who think Swine Flu is a legitimate threat.

And to add, some person (or more, I don't remember) in this county died of the actual -vaccine-, not the flu..

Swine Flu will only be a real threat if it would ever reach the proportion of a serious disease, say for instance; The Black Death! <.<
But it won't, so..
Its is true that it does not kill more people than a regular flu, but the nasty thing about this virus is that it seems to target younger and seemingly healthy people as well as the elderly and the regular influenza patients. The goal for the government now (or so is mine conclusion, as they tell us bugger all) is to get an immune population just to be safe. I truly agree that it has been overhyped in the media, but it is not to be taken lightly either. My fellow students and I are following the situation with great interest as it is really relevant to our education (pharmacy).

A friendly tip is too get you and your family vaccinated, but I understand the healthy skepticism that many people have as it is a fairly unknown vaccine with unclear long term effects (although taking medical advice from someone on the Escapist forums does not seem like a great idea in general(!), so please feel free to dismiss me as a mental quack).

PS: Where did you hear about the vaccine was developed before the outbreak? It is not that I don´t believe you, but I am genuinely interested to hear more about it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
its not only just a flu. its a especially weak one too! so why? in germany alone a normal flu costs about i guess it was 1500 lifes . the swine flu? till now its 20 ! best thing ever happened to flu season

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
Not yet because i'm low risk. I usually get vaccinated for seasonal flu anyways so won't be any different for me :)

My fiancé should be getting vaccinated soon though because shes ashmatic

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
General_Qwetch said:
05rutterb said:
Just like global warming is a media scare. Ooh, I said it.
pretty much
what the vaccine is made of is scarier than the flu.
its taken from monkey kidneys.. a special type of monkeys id have to look through the papers again to see what kind but yea.
just knowing that is creepy enough
No?

I think you'll find chicken eggs are used for vaccinations.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/swine-flu-vaccine-made-chicken-eggs-faster/story?id=8940397

Get facts before you say no to vaccines silly people

General_Qwetch

Oct 26, 2009
geon106 said:
General_Qwetch said:
05rutterb said:
Just like global warming is a media scare. Ooh, I said it.
pretty much
what the vaccine is made of is scarier than the flu.
its taken from monkey kidneys.. a special type of monkeys id have to look through the papers again to see what kind but yea.
just knowing that is creepy enough
No?

I think you'll find chicken eggs are used for vaccinations.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/swine-flu-vaccine-made-chicken-eggs-faster/story?id=8940397

Get facts before you say no to vaccines silly people
this is scanned from the contract i had to sign to participate in the swine flue vaccine testing phase

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/General_qwetch/txt.jpg

which translates into
"This test Medicine made by baxter is a interactive totalvirus-vaccination which can lead to minor infections,
producing this vaccine requires a special type of cells, known as vero-cellshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vero_cells .
these Vero-cells are taken from the kidneys from of the African green monkey , which have been used over the years to Produce different kinds of vaccinations for sicknesses such as Poliomyelitis and rabies." the rest just says that its not allowed to sell this product in Germany or other countries

sorry but i have my facts =P

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
nope, I've had it. and if it's strong enough to kill you your better off underground.