Poll: Are you watching the 2010 World cup?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Frankly I think England should be kicked out for not winning against the US. It's really, intensely shameful.

I shall clarify that I am English and support England in any sport. I don't care for most sport that isn't international so usually I actually really despise football. I also hate all the hype, the football related advertisement and all those idiots with flags on their cars (reducing their MPG by up to 6 MPG, the cunts).

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Zeithri said:
Doesn't most of said income go to the players, does it not?
I mean, what does a soccer player earn per year? 52 million if they're good?

I could be wrong though.
Please tell me you're joking; alas this is the internet and sarcasm in text is difficult to deduce so I'll take the line that you're serious. Most players, especially some of those in the world cup, earn very little - bearing in mind some of the countries represented. The best of the best in the world earn a few million in wages from their clubs per year, but the money they earn for representing their country isn't a lot - the tournament isn't about the money.

FIFA, however, expect to gain an income of around 1 billion through commercial rights; some of that money will be used to pay the various nations, the hosting country etc; the rest being stored for the next world cup and other financial ventures.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm not watching, but I am very conflicted. On the one hand it's Freedomland's duty to be the best at everything. On the other hand, If Freedomland wins, we'll have to start caring aboot Communist Kickball.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
No,I'll take my nations official stance on Soccer (or Football for you over the pond), as we generally don't really care about Soccer, but there are exceptions...

Professor Moon

Jun 12, 2010
I'm not watching the World cup. Soccer is one of the many I hate with a burning passion, but I do hope Italy do good.

Aug 25, 2009
brandon237 said:
MelasZepheos said:
I hate football, and I hate the rabid fans of football even more. I hate grand unifying events across the nation, and I hate the focus of a nation suddenly turning to something as inane as sports.

Yeah, guess my option.
Well I'm damn happy considering the current economic state of my nation, but yes, it is sometimes a little inane.
My happiness is tied to things I do, rather than things other people do that I can watch.

Also, I'm about to spend the next five years getting anally raped by my new government, so don't talk to me about getting into an economic state.

brandon237 said:
rekabdarb said:
No, I'm not, why is that so odd? I'm confused, doesn't the rest of the world normally call it soccer?
We call it football. See, what the Americans call football is what the rest of us might call 'handegg'. We kick a ball with our feet, you hold an egg in your hands. It's really just simple linguistics, with maybe a little common sense thrown in.

[sub]Author's Note: The contents of this response are intended to be satirical. a play on the nationalistic pride surrounding nations during the World Cup season. By taking offence not at the football itself but seemingly meaningless additions to the football I am deriving humour from an insane logic not based on the true situation in hand. A real life example of the 'Cloud Cuckoolander' trope if you will[/sub]
[sub][sub]Sub Author's note: This disclaimer included for all those unaware with how sarcastic I get late at night when I should be sleeping.[/sub][/sub]

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm watching every match that I can get up early enough for. Living on the US West Coast makes viewing a bit of a challenge.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Zeithri said:
Doesn't most of said income go to the players, does it not?
I mean, what does a soccer player earn per year? 52 million if they're good?

I could be wrong though.
£10 million if you're the very best player in the entire world, otherwise it is only like a couple of million. And that's from clubs, not countries. Countries pay like nothing as far as I'm aware.

Also, it's called "FOOTBALL".

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Zeithri said:
I apologize, I'm not joking.
I'm just Uneducated in the matter actually, since I just don't find fotball very interesting.

The thing about the 52 million comes from a newspaper I saw about 7 years ago or so with a swedish fotball player earning A HELL A LOT. It was just insane how much he earned.
I think you might be mistaking the cost of a player to how much money they earn per year. Some players, such as Cristiano Ronaldo, have traded clubs for fees of around 80 million, but he's earning between 30,000 and 56,000 (there are varied reports) per week. Whilst that's a hell of a lot of money I doubt there'll ever be a player that earns 52 million a year...

dehawaiiansupaman

Jan 2, 2008
SimuLord said:
I'm watching every match that I can get up early enough for. Living on the US West Coast makes viewing a bit of a challenge.
Same here man. I don't know how but I'm going to try and wake up for all of them, even the ones at 6am or what ever hour. My parents are way ahead of me (my dad woke up early for Greece and S. Korea, no idea why).

OT: I'm watching the World Cup and Supporting my team. Hell There's a player from my town's old team (Hercules Gomez, Formerly of the USL Sounders)

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
AWEXOME said:
brandon237 said:
I'm only really watching the games that have my team, and maybe the finals. [small] we drew to Mexico, yeah![/small]
Oh, so it was you! Well played! I really know nothing about soccer, but that goal by Tshabalala was indeed a good one. While our goal by Marquez was kinda mediocre .
Hey, we just had an exceptional game, you guys would have probably won, but it is home turf and we had the whole nation on our side (no really, the noise alone was massive).

I will be interesting to see how it turns out for both countries...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I usually don't care about soccer, but yeah, I'm watching the world cup. I was pretty stunned to see the US walk out of that match against England with a draw.

Tomorrow we're up against the Outback Kickers. Go Germany! :D

[sub]Keep your pants on, Australian Escapists. The name-calling is all in good fun. :p[/sub]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Nah, I am not into sports... Especially Soccer. Sorry, I am used to calling "Football" Soccer and "American Football" Football. It's just how I was raised, screw Political Correctness!

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Yes. I usually vote for Brazil, since some of my family live there, but the US seem to be doing ok this time. I think Argentina has a very good chance to win, especially with their coach.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I'm watching all I can and supporting England. Pretty disappointing match tonight. Great for the US though.