Poll: Assassin's Creed III : Will there be butthurt ?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Xangba said:
NightHawk21 said:
I really just don't want it to turn into a hippie message about how everyone screwed the natives for 20+ hours
Oh come on...they got screwed for way more than 20 hours
Lol well played :)

But in all seriousness so long as they provide like for the last couple games it should be good.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
Well, Ubisoft is a French company, with the multiplayer being made in Canada. I'm pretty sure they will DESTROY the US propaganda machine with this game. People will try to destroy it for that reason.

I just want this to be the end. I am getting fatigued of Assassin's Creed. I want a new IP. A new thing to explore.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
When is there ever not butthurt?

Personally I just hope it doesn't get all preachy about the Indians.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
jim1398 said:
I think it's almost inevitable they are going to piss someone off. As you say, if they show certain American figures to be less than perfect, then Fox News (and people with similar views) are likely to have something to say. If they go the Hollywood History route and simplyfy it to America=good, Britain=bad, not only are Daily Mail readers going to be pissed (it's basically our version of FOX News), but I expect a fair few of the fans will be as well because we've come to expect more from this series.

I honestly doubt they will go the Hollywood History route (although it is my biggest fear for the game) since that's not how they have done things in the past. So it's likely that they are going to piss off Fox News. Also, IIRC Bioshock Infinite releases in the same month and that has you shooting automatons that look like George Washington. Two games featuring George Washington in the same month may be too much for them to ignore.
I'm feeling exactly the same way. As a Brit, I can get a bit over-defensive (and probably will, try to filter out the patriotism from this post), but I can easily see the buck-toothed baby-killing British Redcoats being overwhelmed by the pure awesomeness of the freedom loving Americans.
One thing that interests me is that, according to Wikipedia, "The player takes on the role of a young half-English, half-Mohawk man named Connor (also known by his birth name, Ratohnhaké:ton)". Then why is the cover art him hacking at a redcoat? And of course, the stars and stripes flutter bravely in the breeze behind him.
I do expect more from Ubisoft than the typical pandering to America, so I'll be disappointed if thats what we get. On the otherhand, when we eventually play as a Brit (Victorian, WW1, WW2, so many options), I'm going to declare it the greatest thing ever before it's released. Ah well, at least I know I'm a hypocrit.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
yes, yes there most certainly will be butthurt.

either the whole thing will be the usual brainless america-fuck-yeah masturbation propaganda, and everyone will be butthurt.
or it will take an ambiguous stand with good guys and villains spread across the fronts, and americans will be butthurt for the violation of their well polished and oversensitive sense of patriotism.

either way, butts will be hurt.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
The potential for butthurt is there. I was surprised there wasn't more outcry about the other ACs. First one was in the Middle East (that alone could cause some "problems") where you were often against the British, though many Chrisians tend to sweep the Crusades under the rug whenever the discussion of religion promoting deadly conflicts in history comes (or admit that the Crusades were bad, but everything else in history post New Testament is cool). I heard of a few people being against having the main antagonist in AC2 be the pope at the time, but nothing bad (and at least a few Catholics make note that he wasn't a nice dude in real life either). Other than whole violence schtick, I haven't herd too much from the franchise period.

As for the American Revolution, it depends what they do with it. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks going to the American Revolution is a GOOD thing and could really bring the story full circle if they play their cards right. Lots of potential, especially if they close the franchise there (oh please let it be so). Will there be butthurt? Perhaps, though we need to learn more about how they're going to set up their history. Who knows, maybe they can spin a story about how the French and Canadians are poisoning the youth of America to turn against their country. Damn them Candians. Damn us good.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
NightHawk21 said:
Xangba said:
NightHawk21 said:
I really just don't want it to turn into a hippie message about how everyone screwed the natives for 20+ hours
Lol well played :)

But in all seriousness so long as they provide like for the last couple games it should be good.
Careful or you might encourage me to make more smartass comments :)

Anyway yeah, they've been working on this one since 2 so that's a fair production time. If done right the setting change will allow for a good mix of new and old styles, with the new obviously being the frontier. I really want good environment interaction with the trees and landscape. I've heard they're making the combat all about staying mobile now too, which if fighting people with guns makes sense. You can't counter a bullet.

Idea: How awesome would it be to grab a guy, spin around so he's between you and the other guy with a gun, the other guy shoots the guy you grabbed, then you leap on him while he tries reloading.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Oh hell yes. The first game drummed up controversy, and that was about the freaking Crusades. Now we're going to have some of the most important people in American history? Especially when the devs specifically say they're going to try and portray them as actual people? Prepare for epic yelling.

I mean, my God, the founders of my country were flawed! They had stupid and outright bad ideas! They were - *gasp* - HUMAN! Blasphemy!

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Would be fun if George Washington was the villain.

The butthurt would be glorious!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It exists, therefore there will be butthurt.

More specifically, there will be butthurt because-

1. It's a sequel
(1.A. It's a sequel to a now-yearly franchise)
2. It will have multiplayer
3. It's published by Ubisoft
4. It's set in Amurrica (and somehow everything set in Amurrica is propaganda)
5. People will be annoyed at the hype
6. It won't live up to people's expectations
7. It will have some kind of DRM
8. The "formula" will be "stale".
9. This is the internet
10. People want to feel like they're cool
11. And some of this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization]

Sep 13, 2010
the last 2 games had fairly even handed looks at historical events, so I suspect the historical figures like Washington will be shown glories, faults and, hypocrisy's intact. Will this piss some off? you bet, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
The butthurt will flow trough a lot of people, so "definitely".

Xangba said:
NightHawk21 said:
Best post I have read this week. We can end this thread now.

95spartans

Jul 18, 2011
Probably. If the Americans aren't all saint's the fox news and some conservatives will be butthurt. If they are saint's and the British are all evil (which seem's more likely to me) then the English will be Butthurt. Either way the French win. Hopefully though it'll end up like assassins creed 1 where all sides were equal asshole's.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
You're asking if Faux News will overlook an excuse to rage over a game? No. No they will not. Much butthurt will be had.
But seriously, WHO WAS REVOLUTION?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I'm going to be offended at the fact that I will probably be playing as a yank, who is killing Brits... -1 for attraction to the game for me! I don't want to imagine I am killing my own damn ancestory! :p

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I'm going to be offended at the fact that I will probably be playing as a yank, who is killing Brits... -1 for attraction to the game for me! I don't want to imagine I am killing my own damn ancestory! :p
Technically you'd be a half Brit half Native killing your ancestors. Just sayin.