Poll: Assassin's Creed III : Will there be butthurt ?

PixelatedNinja

Jul 13, 2010
Okay, so the setting for the new Assassin's Creed game had been revealed, and although at first I wasn't too psyched about the idea of playing during the American revolution because I was rooting for Japan (NINJAS vs SAMURAI FTW), after seeing what they had done with it I could kind of see where they were going with it.
The jump to the 1700s should add a lot of gameplay elements and exploring Native Americans is also a good idea but I think that by the time the game is released it's possible that people are going to make a big deal over nothing and you're going to be seeing a lot of propaganda against the game.
Here's why.

The Assassin's Creed games always were pretty well researched and the characters were always pretty morally ambiguous, and that's what made them seem real. It's hasn't yet been revealed which side has the Templars and I remember from one of the memory fragments in AC2 that George Washington at one had a Piece of Eden, so it's possible that either both sides will have Templar double agents or the revolutionaries are the actual Templars.

Great concept right? Right. But here comes the problem, historically George Washington's record has been stricken clean because of the fact he was the first president, but the guy was one of the wealthiest men in America and a big supporter of slavery.

So my question is : If George Washington and other historical figures important to American history are portrayed as anything else then paragons of human virtue do you think Americans will throw a tantrum media wise, will FOX News be bashing this game like it's the Anti-Christ?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
The game will probably be scrutinized for taking place during the Revolution, that being said, I doubt that it will draw much controversy. Assassins Creed doesnt have enough airport shootings or blue alien sex to get on television.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well, Ubisoft isn't an American company, so that might help. I hope it does at any rate.

Honestly I'm more worried about the environments. I always figured AC games being really urban games, with gameplay that excels in cities. But now we'll see small colonial towns and forest. I'd rather had them set it a century later during the Civil War. New York during that era would've been perfect for Assassin's Creed.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Will there be butthurt?

My friend, it's not just to be expected, it's downright fucking inevitable.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Cowabungaa said:
Honestly I'm more worried about the environments. I always figured AC games being really urban games, with gameplay that excels in cities. But now we'll see small colonial towns and forest. I'd rather had them set it a century later during the Civil War. New York during that era would've been perfect for Assassin's Creed.
Yeah, but the problem with that setting is that it ceases to be a sandbox 3P actioner and becomes more of a shooter-sneaker...

Anyway... given how much grief ACR & ACB got, there will invariably be tub-thumpers who will complain, almost regardless of what aspect their bitching on about.

I will cast my judgement when I've played it, though that being said, I am kinda psyched for it...

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
PixelatedNinja said:
The butthurt will inevitably occur, but my own feeling is that it's going to stem from the americans being portrayed as shiny-teethed superheroic messiahs who automatically gain the moral high ground in every conflict, with the british and everyone else (including, i suspect, the native americans) being portrayed as vicious baby eating savages. They are going to have to be so careful to avoid pissing an awful lot of people off with this setting....

it's weird, really. they got away with the whole religious thing in the first game relatively easily, but pissing about with nationalism could very well blow up in their faces.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Toby Kitching said:
PixelatedNinja said:
The butthurt will inevitably occur, but my own feeling is that it's going to stem from the americans being portrayed as shiny-teethed superheroic messiahs who automatically gain the moral high ground in every conflict, with the british and everyone else (including, i suspect, the native americans) being portrayed as vicious baby eating savages. They are going to have to be so careful to avoid pissing an awful lot of people off with this setting....

it's weird, really. they got away with the whole religious thing in the first game relatively easily, but pissing about with nationalism could very well blow up in their faces.
The difference really is that the Crusaders were undeniably evil bastards and are completely removed from modern day christians, but the revolution is a LOT more complicated than that. They are going to have to be careful. Make the British evil, piss off British gamers, make Americans any less than those superheroes that people are often taught that the founding fathers were and you will probably piss off a lot of American gamers.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I can see twists and turns in AC3, spilling from going after one side to the other, there always has been. Seeing as the assassins are supposed to be neutral, it makes sense to go after both sides, if the devs are being tasteful.

But I have no problem with it all being killing the british, mainly because its just computer graphics and means bugger all. But you do have a valid point, iconography usually pisses people off more than actual acts these days.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Well, Ubisoft isn't an American company, so that might help. I hope it does at any rate.
They are French though, and they were on the American side. Maybe it will end up being all about how the Americans were not that useful and couldn't have done it without the French and whoever else backing them. (not saying that they were, just that they might make people know that the French were actually involved as opposed to the common AMERICA FUCK YEAH portrayal.)

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
I think it's almost inevitable they are going to piss someone off. As you say, if they show certain American figures to be less than perfect, then Fox News (and people with similar views) are likely to have something to say. If they go the Hollywood History route and simplyfy it to America=good, Britain=bad, not only are Daily Mail readers going to be pissed (it's basically our version of FOX News), but I expect a fair few of the fans will be as well because we've come to expect more from this series.

I honestly doubt they will go the Hollywood History route (although it is my biggest fear for the game) since that's not how they have done things in the past. So it's likely that they are going to piss off Fox News. Also, IIRC Bioshock Infinite releases in the same month and that has you shooting automatons that look like George Washington. Two games featuring George Washington in the same month may be too much for them to ignore.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Alright first off no one gives a crap about Fox News. If at any point in time they did I can only hope the Mass Effect trouble a few years ago convinced them Fox is full of idiots. Anyway, of course it will get butthurt. Everything gets butthurt. Hell it will get butthurt up until release day, then continue getting more even if it's the most perfect thing ever (which I'm of course not saying it will be, just making a point). That's what the cool kids do nowadays.

I'm looking forward to it personally, and actually that's because of the new environment type. I heard the cities are going to be New York and Boston so there will still be some building climbing, but I'm really looking forward a good use of environment, like tree climbing, swinging along trees like a monkey (come on you want to), rock climbing, ect.

Whether or not they do "GO AMERICA!" or not I have no idea, but I'm going to offer another theory to the pot of ideas; they make it seem like America would have lost without the assassin (Connor I think?). I doubt (read: hope) that they won't do Americans good vs Evil Brits, because they have done better than that up to this point.

P.S. It wouldn't piss off Americans, that's getting pretty old. Almost everyone I know doesn't say "FUCK YEAH we won the Revolution all by ourselves against the evil empire!" Fox News is NOT representative of Americans. We really need to find something new because the American "FUCK YEAH!" stereotype is getting really old.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
Toby Kitching said:
PixelatedNinja said:

The difference really is that the Crusaders were undeniably evil bastards and are completely removed from modern day christians, but the revolution is a LOT more complicated than that. They are going to have to be careful. Make the British evil, piss off British gamers, make Americans any less than those superheroes that people are often taught that the founding fathers were and you will probably piss off a lot of American gamers.
One of the key facts that people aren't bringing in to consideration is that the main character Connor, is half American, half British. As a general rule of thumb, the Assassins in the games tend to sit in the middle of these conflicts. Take the original game. Altair had a Christian mother and a Muslim father (or vice versa, I can never remember) and he didn't take a side in the Crusades.

The AC games are usually pretty well researched. I mean they made Richard the Lionheart French, which I don't think I've seen in any other film or game. It's that level of attention to detail that gives me hope for AC3 being well balanced.

But to answer the OP question, yes, of course people will be annoyed. That's what people do.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
There will be mainly from Fox. But who actually listens to them anymore?

I think that Assassin's Creed has always been faithful when depicting the times they're set in and as such I feel that this game will keep with the rest. Connor is supposedly half native-American and that shows there's going to be a distinct angle in this game.

I'm looking forward to it. Completely psyched. Assassin's Creed is my favourite current gen game series.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I really just don't want it to turn into a hippie message about how everyone screwed the natives for 20+ hours. As for portraying Washington and others as enemies, I think its unlikely, but either way people need to remember that its just a game. Also the new free running worries me.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
People will get butthurt no denying that. Assassins creed 3 isnt going to paint it, natives v. americans v. british. they will paint as the point in the center of the 3 points.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
PixelatedNinja said:
I was rooting for Japan (NINJAS vs SAMURAI FTW)
It's not too late for that. They could set AC4 in Japan during the Bakumatsu conflicts. These took place from 1853 to 1867 and were the final years of Japan as a feudal shogunate. Plenty of interesting things you could do with factions like the pro-imperialist Ishin Shishi, the Tokugawa shogunate (including the legendary Shinsengumi) and even some Americans in the form of Commodore Perry and his lot.

Back on topic. I suppose some people might get butthurt at the prospect of Washington being anything less than Mother Theresa, Jesus and Chuck Norris all rolled into one. Let them. It won't take away from enjoying the game.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Some Native Americans and liberals will be offended at the portrayal of Native Americans, even if it ends up being one of the best there's ever been.

Some non-Native Americans and conservatives will be offended that Native Americans are all portrayed as perfect, innocent victims, even if they aren't.

Some Americans will be offended that the American characters weren't portrayed as immortal gods, even if they're damn close to it.

Some British people will be offended that they were portrayed as Star Wars space Nazis again, even if they weren't.

Some non-Americans of all nationalities are already offended that it's set in America.

Some gamers will be offended because this game does too many things different from the first games.

Some gamers will be offended because it doesn't do enough things different.

...There will be butthurt, no matter what.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
NightHawk21 said:
I really just don't want it to turn into a hippie message about how everyone screwed the natives for 20+ hours
Oh come on...they got screwed for way more than 20 hours

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Toby Kitching said:
PixelatedNinja said:

One of the key facts that people aren't bringing in to consideration is that the main character Connor, is half American, half British. As a general rule of thumb, the Assassins in the games tend to sit in the middle of these conflicts. Take the original game. Altair had a Christian mother and a Muslim father (or vice versa, I can never remember) and he didn't take a side in the Crusades.

The AC games are usually pretty well researched. I mean they made Richard the Lionheart French, which I don't think I've seen in any other film or game. It's that level of attention to detail that gives me hope for AC3 being well balanced.

But to answer the OP question, yes, of course people will be annoyed. That's what people do.
I'm not saying that the gamemakers are going to make it one way or the other, just that even if they do it 100% historically accurate, some people are going to be pissed off, because the side they like wasn't portrayed in the lovely way they like to think of them.