Poll: Assassin's Creed III : Will there be butthurt ?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Chairman Miaow said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Chairman Miaow said:
[b/]Make the British evil, piss off British gamers...[/b]
Yeah that's not going to happen. The British just don't get butthurt in the same way American's do. Partly because the British are portrayed as the bad guys all the time anyway, and partly because we're a culture who revels in taking the piss out of ourselves. If anyone in Britain cries foul of it they'll be part of a very small minority.
I'm English, I know what British people are like, and yeah, a lot of people won't care, we are used to it, but at the same time you have the sort of crowd who read The Sun as their bible and get completely up in arms about everything.
Well those are Sun readers, who gives two shits what they have to say? Sun readers=British Fox News watchers

All that being said I get what your saying but they'll probably be next to no backlash about this over here, if any at all. You also got to take into account that the whole "videogames currupt our youth" thing has really taken off over here like it has in america. I can't see people making a fuss about this anymore than the British being taken the piss out of in movies or on TV.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've a theory that the in Assassin's Creed III the Revolutionary War will turn out to be a Templar power struggle for ultimate control of the Templars' interested.

But yeah there will be butthurt; whether it is over the British being evil, the Founding Fathers being anything less than saintly defenders of freedom or just Ubisoft just being Ubisoft there will be butthurt.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
Fox news would probably complain not matter what since they believe games are a waste of time and think i have no idea truth be told. So yeah they more than likely will react angrily if that happens.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I think that they're going to portray most of the major historical figures rather sympathetically. Maybe they'll take the time to show Benedict Arnold wasn't a gigantic douche but rather the woobiest figure in the war. I think George Washington is going to be portrayed as a well intentioned Templar unlike the most recent string of villains. I really don't know what British historical figures they'll portray in a kind light, as most of their officers were either a bit jerkish or just bad at their jobs. If they stick with the Native angle really well they could get a pretty ambiguous view, but since they seem to be starting with the Americans portrayed as the good guys, or at least the guys the hero initially supports, that is going to be impossible. Maybe some of the douchier Americans like John Hancock and Paul Revere will have some light shed on them, or Washington's rival general.

On a side note, does anybody here know much about the British side of things? My US history class wound up not covering the British personalities that much, other than to say they made a very large number of terrible decisions and that none of them got along with each other.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Durgiun said:
Will there be butthurt?

My friend, it's not just to be expected, it's downright fucking inevitable.
Yeah, no matter what they add/try to streamline, people will find something to be butthurt about. I think the better question in this case is, "Will there be buttsex?"

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
I heard that Conner will take neither side and will be killing people on both sides of the war. So I think they'll both be portrayed as assholes.

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
It's going to take place during the American Revolution, of course there's gonna be butthurt about how its apparently propaganda. Just putting the likeness of George Washington in a game is going to get the overreactive retards frothing at the mouth.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Every time a setting is placed during the "american revolution", I always think "How fun is this for the rest of the world that isn't part of the US?"
I'm sorry, but I can't handle another glorified war-setting. Count me out.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Every time a setting is placed during the "american revolution", I always think "How fun is this for the rest of the world that isn't part of the US?"
Well, you did not live in Jerusalem or Rome and you still enjoyed those games, did you not?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Realitycrash said:
Wouldn't it be more fun for everyone else? I live in America and know what it's like. I prefer foreign settings where everything is different and can explore the surroundings. Then again I don't own any games that take place in America so I'm not sick of it, but it never interest me.

OT: Yes there will be butthurt. See above. Or if they make America evil, all the butthurt Americans who are mad they weren't portrayed as heroic gods. I'm voting for evil Americas since you never see that and I can laugh at all the deluded hicks.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've never been into the AC series, but I can say with relative certainty that asking this is like asking if there's going to be sand at the beach. Why? Well to use one of my favourite quotes from everyone's favourite Anglo-Australian:
"Fans are clinging complaining dipshits who'll never ever be grateful for any concessions you make. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."

Dondonalien44

Dec 10, 2009
Look at how inconsistent gaming controversies have been in recent years. I'm pretty sure this will slip under the collective radar. They're probably depicting Revolutionary figures as noble assassin heroes, anyways. I'm actually quite eager to point out the anachronisms and inconsistencies of a time period I'm more familiar with :3
If no one raised an eyebrow about Pope-punching in AC2 and general anti-religious messages throughout the series, I'm sure this one's safe from controversy. I hope I'm not wrong.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
PixelatedNinja said:
Okay, so the setting for the new Assassin's Creed game had been revealed, and although at first I wasn't too psyched about the idea of playing during the American revolution because I was rooting for Japan (NINJAS vs SAMURAI FTW), after seeing what they had done with it I could kind of see where they were going with it.
The jump to the 1700s should add a lot of gameplay elements and exploring Native Americans is also a good idea but I think that by the time the game is released it's possible that people are going to make a big deal over nothing and you're going to be seeing a lot of propaganda against the game.
Here's why.

The Assassin's Creed games always were pretty well researched and the characters were always pretty morally ambiguous, and that's what made them seem real. It's hasn't yet been revealed which side has the Templars and I remember from one of the memory fragments in AC2 that George Washington at one had a Piece of Eden, so it's possible that either both sides will have Templar double agents or the revolutionaries are the actual Templars.

Great concept right? Right. But here comes the problem, historically George Washington's record has been stricken clean because of the fact he was the first president, but the guy was one of the wealthiest men in America and a big supporter of slavery.

So my question is : If George Washington and other historical figures important to American history are portrayed as anything else then paragons of human virtue do you think Americans will throw a tantrum media wise, will FOX News be bashing this game like it's the Anti-Christ?
So if we mention that Washington wasnt as great of man as he is remembered (he was a great man, but still a man), yeah, Fox may get butthurt. Though, anyone who studied American history beyond the minumum reqiurements will slightly less butthurt.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
PixelatedNinja said:
So my question is : If George Washington and other historical figures important to American history are portrayed as anything else then paragons of human virtue do you think Americans will throw a tantrum media wise, will FOX News be bashing this game like it's the Anti-Christ?
I'm American and it wouldn't bother me. I know that our forefathers weren't perfect. Fox News, on the other hand, will throw a tantrum about anything, they are all[small](actually most is probably a better word)[/small] just a bunch of whiny, naive people who have no idea how the world actually works.

DarthAcerbus

Jan 25, 2010
Of course, it's a thing that exists. Someone, somewhere, will complain about it extremely vocally. Most likely multiple someones.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
The Cheezy One said:
I'm feeling exactly the same way. As a Brit, I can get a bit over-defensive (and probably will, try to filter out the patriotism from this post), but I can easily see the buck-toothed baby-killing British Redcoats being overwhelmed by the pure awesomeness of the freedom loving Americans.
One thing that interests me is that, according to Wikipedia, "The player takes on the role of a young half-English, half-Mohawk man named Connor (also known by his birth name, Ratohnhaké:ton)". Then why is the cover art him hacking at a redcoat?
...you do realize that early Americans were ethically English, right? Heck look up George Washington's ancestry [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry_of_George_Washington].
The Cheezy One said:
And of course, the stars and stripes flutter bravely in the breeze behind him.
I do expect more from Ubisoft than the typical pandering to America, so I'll be disappointed if thats what we get. On the otherhand, when we eventually play as a Brit (Victorian, WW1, WW2, so many options), I'm going to declare it the greatest thing ever before it's released. Ah well, at least I know I'm a hypocrit.
I can't see how the Brits are the good guys in the war between the colonies and the British. Its like making a game set in 1920's Ireland and trying to justify the actions of Britain.

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
I really hope they don't make the mistake of making the Americans look awesome and morally wholesome. Yes, some dumbasses from my country will get angry, but actual intellectuals (who really should be the only ones playing these games) will completely understand that the Americans of that time are just as flawed (if not more) as present-day Americans.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, of course FOX news and other idiots like them will bash the game, but they'd do that regardless and most people know not to listen to them.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Volf said:
The Cheezy One said:
And of course, the stars and stripes flutter bravely in the breeze behind him.
I do expect more from Ubisoft than the typical pandering to America, so I'll be disappointed if thats what we get. On the otherhand, when we eventually play as a Brit (Victorian, WW1, WW2, so many options), I'm going to declare it the greatest thing ever before it's released. Ah well, at least I know I'm a hypocrit.
I can't see how the Brits are the good guys in the war between the colonies and the British. Its like making a game set in 1920's Ireland and trying to justify the actions of Britain.
Or like making a game in the present day middle-east and trying to justify the actions of America