Poll: Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Link to Wikipedia article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged_(film)]

While reading through the paper, I noticed a single line about Angelina Jolie's upcoming films. One of them was a film version of the book 'Atlas Shrugged', by Ayn Rand.

For those that don't know, this book was the foundation for the ideas that went into the best-selling game Bioshock. In 'Atlas Shrugged', every member of society that uses their mind and imagination in their work goes on strike. They do this due to the feeling that society has been hampering their progress and they do not get the rewards that are rightfully theirs. As a result, society as we know it collapses without these people contributing their works and their minds to the world around them.

As you can tell, the book tackles some serious issues. Tellingly, after finishing the novel, Ayn Rand spent the rest of her life writing works on philosophy and cultural critisism. However, Hollywood are reknowned for making a pig's ear of books with a level of depth such as this.

So, question time. Should Hollywood attempt to make a film based upon this book (or any book of this depth) and show that it can be done well, or should they avoid the risk of ruining the book's legacy by making a turkey? Discuss.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Only if it's done as a musical comedy, starring Gilbert Gotleib as Galt, because I snored through The Fountainhead even though I'm a fan of Gary Cooper. (I find Objectivist literature in general to be tedious and dreary, though, so I'm definitely not the target audience.)

-- Steve

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
Read the article, looks sweet. Wayyyy better than the rest of the shit being pumped out by Hollywood.

Dec 1, 2007
You guys are aware that the basic plot of the novel implies literally millions of deaths in the most horrible ways possible so some dipshits can justify their self-righteousness?

So are they going to make it? I really don't think so. Hollywood is many things, but tacit endorsement of genocide? No.

wellington

Oct 31, 2007
Well, I think first I'd argue that just because Bioshock is set in an Objectivist paradise that has failed doesn't mean that it's a core philosophy to the game. I also think it's not a particularly deep philosophy, there's nothing really wrong with it, it just attracts a lot of people who can't understand why the world doesn't realize how terribly 'special' they are. But that's all opinion, they differ(and I do like the book).

I really disagree with the base question though. There are few things that shouldn't be attempted just because failure is a possibility, even less in the arts. In specific regard to the movie you should read the literary criticism section under Ayn Rand while you are looking through Wikipedia. If her writing can survive being called sophomoric and flat and uninteresting it will probably hold up through a bad movie.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Why is it that the followers of a philosophy that emphasizes freedom above all else veering dangerously close to organized anarchy are so slavishly devoted to the hack novelist that created the theory? If you're so big on free choice, then why can't I call dear old Saint Ayn a mediocre writer badly in need of an editor armed with a chainsaw?

On reflection, I'd like to invoke Poe's Law* here. I'm honestly unsure whether this is a troll or an honest belief.

*Poe's Law: It is impossible to create a parody of fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing. The law was originally defined for religious fundamentalism, but can be applied to any extreme viewpoint.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
Only if it's done as a musical comedy, starring Gilbert Gotleib as Galt, because I snored through The Fountainhead even though I'm a fan of Gary Cooper.
Oh, yeah, just thought of something else... they have to do The Speech verbatim. That's good for an hour of hilarity right there.

-- Steve

PS: For those who don't know, Galt makes a speech justifying his actions in the latter part of the book. This speech lasts for some 40 pages...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
NO! BAD HOLLYWOOD!BAD!

Stay the fuck away from the few novels I actually managed to enjoy! STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT!

Aginor27

Aug 13, 2008
objectivist loophole

from ED:

Ayn Randtaught that selfishness is the highest good, altruism is the ultimate evil, and that the point of life is the individual pursuit of happiness. This is a boldfaced lie, as anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence instinctively knows. After all, if Objectivism were the only true religion, a real Objectivist would keep the secret of happiness to him/herself, and not write books about it in an altruistic attempt to help others discover Objectivism! QED. Then again, she would have been making money off of the book sales so it could still be justified that she was doing it for herself to achieve moar happiness. Of course, this only applies to Rand herself and not to her basement-dwelling followers.

Aginor27

Aug 13, 2008
also, (and i've not read atlas shrugged)

wouldn't the movie be super long? i mean, isn't Galt's speech alone about 50 pages or something like that?

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Actually, Ayn wasn't denouncing altruism as the ultimate evil, however, she was denouncing the concept of forcing altruism on others. There's nothing wrong with giving to charity or helping the poor, however, when you force someone to do something at their own expense, then you cross the line that Ayn drew in the sand.

While I loved the book(sure it wasn't the best written nor does her philosophy make much sense) I highly doubt that anything Hollywood will crank out will come close to book.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Did anyone see the 'Bob the Angry Flower' strip on Atlas Shrugged?

"So what are we going to eat?"
"I have no idea. All I know how to do is pay people to invent new alloys"
"YOU FOOLS. WE'LL HAVE TO TILL THE SOIL!!!!"

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Did anyone see the 'Bob the Angry Flower' strip on Atlas Shrugged?

"So what are we going to eat?"
"I have no idea. All I know how to do is pay people to invent new alloys"
"YOU FOOLS. WE'LL HAVE TO TILL THE SOIL!!!!"
Possibly the best line of dialog in BioShock reminds me of that strip; "Everyone wants to be a captain of industry here, who's going to scrub the toilets?!"

-- Steve

Aginor27

Aug 13, 2008
John Galt post=18.68283.627852 said:
Actually, Ayn wasn't denouncing altruism as the ultimate evil, however, she was denouncing the concept of forcing altruism on others. There's nothing wrong with giving to charity or helping the poor, however, when you force someone to do something at their own expense, then you cross the line that Ayn drew in the sand.

While I loved the book(sure it wasn't the best written nor does her philosophy make much sense) I highly doubt that anything Hollywood will crank out will come close to book.
like i said, i copy pasted that from ED, it's not my opinion, but whoever created the ED pages.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what Hollywood does.

also:
WTF Angelina Jolie is only 33? i thought she was like 40.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Objectivism encourages and celebrates man's selfish, destructive impulses. It not only views man as a predatory animal, but encourages him to behave like one. Unregulated business and unadulterated greed lead to the horrors of the Victorian age with child labor, company stores, an astronomical gap between the rich and poor, near total lack of social mobility, a nonexistant middle class, and politicians debating what to do with the 'surplus population'.

Give me Dickens and Steinbeck over her tripe any day. A holywood movie would only give this warped, hateful bullshit an air of legitimacy.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Where are the options for those who - to put it bluntly - like their Rand in the recycling bin?

Now, I'll agree to disagree regarding Rand's works and skip the quite lengthy and tedious argument there. Another question has been begged: does the story in the novel translate well into a movie at all? An excellent novel may not work well in a visual medium (Fahrenheit 451 leaps to mind). A poor novel may work quite well on film. Furthermore, what one means by a good movie (or novel) must be defined. Is it being a commercial success or an artsy work approved by the self-appointed critics of cinema?

theklng

May 1, 2008
while fahrenheit may not have been a good movie, the inspired adaptation of the book; "the tetragrammaton" was a decent movie. it also hosts christian bale in one of his younger roles.

on the topic of the novel, i'd rather see them do the adaptation of an adaptation. rand's books were not for everyone. have them take the philosophy of rand, and mix it with an environment not unlike bioshock's (or something equally distant). that would be a good movie, a direct adaptation will never.