Poll: Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Saevus

Jul 1, 2008
Cyclomega post=18.68283.629258 said:
you mean this Bob [http://www.angryflower.com/objectiv.html] ? \o/
Holy Hell, that was beyond good, and it made me think of something.

What if they make Atlas Shrugged as a parody of objectivism!

But then I thought that no matter what happens, this movie will bring ruin. Why? Imagine how many 'intellectuals' will be swiftly introduced to objectivism and take up its banner without having to slog through the novel...

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
The ironic thing about Ayn Rand's "Rational Self-Interest" is that it requires a great deal of altruism, it's usually in our best interests to cooperate. It's strange how she hit upon a pretty decent idea coming from the completely wrong direction.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
No. Good GOD no! I'm all for films that make you think, but the LAST thing the world needs right now is the Republican party's wet dream brought to film.

Not to mention the fact that Atlas Shrugged was a bad read from a character standpoint. If the Main Character was any more of a Mary Sue I would've puked on my copy of the book before I took it back to the library. (Keep in mind, I read and liked Eragon and it's sequel.)

At one point it's shown that the main character has been having relationships with several men. Each of those men find out and instead of getting angry like most ANYONE in the situation would, they decide "Eh. It makes her happy." and just ignore it!

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Archon post=18.68283.628318 said:
Objectivism encourages and celebrates man's selfish, destructive impulses. It not only views man as a predatory animal, but encourages him to behave like one. Unregulated business and unadulterated greed lead to the horrors of the Victorian age with child labor, company stores, an astronomical gap between the rich and poor, near total lack of social mobility, a nonexistant middle class, and politicians debating what to do with the 'surplus population'.
She doesn't view man as a predatory animal. In fact, she sharply differentiates men from animals, and argues in the strongest possible language that among men there are no conflicts of interest, nor reason to initiate violence, and that the worst sort of people are predators. Nor does she believe in unadulterated greed. In The Fountainhead, her hero drops out of school rather than compromise his principles and turns down high-paying assignments and jobs to pursue his art. It's a paean to the integrity of art; work as spirituality. In Atlas Shrugged, her heroes abandon highly paid jobs and actively aim to lose money, again out of deep moral principle.
Not all violence is physical. Objectiveism is a Darwinian struggle where the weak starve and the strong live in opulence. Whether she though man was an animal or not, she encourages him to behave like one. If she honestly believed that her philosophy would result in a better world then she is every bit as unrealistic as Marx with his Communist Manifesto. She is either malevolent or imbecilic, take your pick.

You obviously got a much different message out of her writings than I did.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
ReepNeep post=18.68283.629921 said:
Archon post=18.68283.628318 said:
Objectivism encourages and celebrates man's selfish, destructive impulses. It not only views man as a predatory animal, but encourages him to behave like one. Unregulated business and unadulterated greed lead to the horrors of the Victorian age with child labor, company stores, an astronomical gap between the rich and poor, near total lack of social mobility, a nonexistant middle class, and politicians debating what to do with the 'surplus population'.
She doesn't view man as a predatory animal. In fact, she sharply differentiates men from animals, and argues in the strongest possible language that among men there are no conflicts of interest, nor reason to initiate violence, and that the worst sort of people are predators. Nor does she believe in unadulterated greed. In The Fountainhead, her hero drops out of school rather than compromise his principles and turns down high-paying assignments and jobs to pursue his art. It's a paean to the integrity of art; work as spirituality. In Atlas Shrugged, her heroes abandon highly paid jobs and actively aim to lose money, again out of deep moral principle.
Not all violence is physical. Objectiveism is a Darwinian struggle where the weak starve and the strong live in opulence. Whether she though man was an animal or not, she encourages him to behave like one. If she honestly believed that her philosophy would result in a better world then she is every bit as unrealistic as Marx with his Communist Manifesto. She is either malevolent or imbecilic, take your pick.

Or both...

Jolie gets the lead because she and the armPitt are both avid fans of Rand's writings.

dooner11

Aug 14, 2008
Oh hooray, another internet forum about something else has turned into a big arguement between either people who dont know enough about objectivism to make valid points (but decide to act like they do) or die hard Rand fans who think they are so damn great for understanding such a long and complicated book/philosophy, so im not going to waste my time throwing in my measley two cents. I have read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged and i liked them both. But the first time i saw the Fountainhead movie i was left with the feeling that about 90% of the content from the book was completely left out. I cant imagine a different outcome in our current situation with Atlas Shrugged.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
dooner11 post=18.68283.630001 said:
Oh hooray, another internet forum about something else has turned into a big arguement between either people who dont know enough about objectivism to make valid points (but decide to act like they do)
Well, fuck you too, buddy. If you aren't going to contribute anything but insults to the discussion, just keep your mouth shut.

I realize this may well get me banned, so apologies in advance.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
I quite liked Atlas Shrugged.

Let's see, your average Hollywood movie goes for about two hours. Atlas Shrugged has a fifty-two page long speech and a lot of the long, important bits in the book happen in someone's thought processes. One of the chapters is just a big flashback.

Unless Jesus is directing it, I can't see how this movie can be good.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
dooner11 post=18.68283.630001 said:
die hard Rand fans who think they are so damn great for understanding such a long and complicated book/philosophy
Reporting in sir!

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I did. And I would neither call myself malevolent nor an imbecile. I won't return the favor of suggesting you are one of those, but I do think you gave her a superficial read, or were misled by wrongful summaries of what she said in other works, and that your conclusions about the philosophy are wrong. I read all of her non-fiction (Philosophy: Who Needs It, Virtue of Selfishness, etc.) as well as scholarly work building on Rand including Tara Smith's Viable Values, Ronald Merrill's The Ideas of Ayn Rand, and Doug Uyl's Philosophic Thought of Ayn Rand as well as Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and Alasdair Macintyre's Short History of Ethics and After Virtue to get a better understanding of classical virtue ethics in general.

In fact, Ayn Rand's ethics are extremely similar to Aristotle's. Her meta-ethical derivation of them is slightly different (she disregards the teleological metaphyiscs of Aristotle in favor of a functional analysis of why we have or need ethics in the first place), but the end result is the same: Classical, virtue-centered ethics focused on living a good life in accordance with reason.

Classical ethics and modern ethics are really two entirely different things. Classical ethics answers the question "How best can I live a flourishing life?" Modern ethichs answers the question "What duties do I owe to other people?" Modern ethics presumes there is no answer to how to live your life, and says do what you want as long as you uphold all your duties to others. It is inherently other-regarding. Classical ethics answers how to live a flourishing life by explaining why you have duties to yourself and is inherently self-regarding. Duties to others are secondary to classical ethics, so often a modern ethicist who looks at classical ethics sees it as saying "you owe no duties to other people" and concludes that is at best amoral and at worst vicious and evil ethics. But modern ethics is simply unequipped to see or deal with self-regarding ethics. A classical ethical code is *more demanding* than a modern ethical code and in fact leads to far more ethically proscribed behavior towards others.

Whenever I see someone reject or misunderstand classical ethics (Rand's, Aristotle's, or otherwise) I always recommend they read Alisdair Macintyre thoroughly, as he demolishes all competing ethical theories and shows why utilitarianism, intuitionism, and so on cannot stand up to the nihilistic destruction of Nietzsche. Virtue ethics, because it is rooted in function (helping a person live a good life) is the only one that can. Macintyre does a much better job than Rand in explaining why virtue ethics are worthwhile.

As for W. Chambers and his nonesense review, living one's life in accordance with principles of individualism, rationality, integrity, magnanimity, and self-reliance are not the cornerstones of genocide. History has already demonstrated which moral systems have led to the most genocidal regimes, and they are all collectivist: Nazism, Stalinism, Maoism, Racism, Tribalism. Classical ethics can produce an Alexander, but it could never produce a Hitler.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
^^ You say that like Alexander was a good thing with his expansionist views powered by the need to feed his swollen ego.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Cyclomega post=18.68283.629258 said:
Decoy Doctorpus : you mean this Bob [http://www.angryflower.com/objectiv.html] ? \o/
No, this one [http://www.angryflower.com/atlass.gif].

-- Alex

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Alex> Yeah, but I wanted to bring in an extra strip.

Archon> I still subscribe to Chambers's views, since it is what seized me while reading the book, prior to reading his review.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah...I've always thought of Ayn Rand being to capitalism what Osama bin Laden is to Islam (An extrimest militant). Not only that, but the subject matter is far to deep for a general moviegoing populus to understand; I'm not saying people are stupid, I'm saying that film is a different form of media than the written word, and one doesn't translate well into the other(look at Harry Potter or Eragon).

In so many words, no, I'm opposed to an Atlas Shrugged movie.

Apologies to anyone offended that I would compare Osama bin Laden to Ayn Rand: Of couse, in the book, they do shoot down boats shipping vital supplies to Germany, who is in the middle fo a famine. Their logic; those Germans should be able to grow their own food. Yeah, I wanted to punch Ayn in the face at that point.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Archon post=18.68283.630215 said:
I did. And I would neither call myself malevolent nor an imbecile. I won't return the favor of suggesting you are one of those, but I do think you gave her a superficial read, or were misled by wrongful summaries of what she said in other works, and that your conclusions about the philosophy are wrong. I read all of her non-fiction (Philosophy: Who Needs It, Virtue of Selfishness, etc.) as well as scholarly work building on Rand including Tara Smith's Viable Values, Ronald Merrill's The Ideas of Ayn Rand, and Doug Uyl's Philosophic Thought of Ayn Rand as well as Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and Alasdair Macintyre's Short History of Ethics and After Virtue to get a better understanding of classical virtue ethics in general.

In fact, Ayn Rand's ethics are extremely similar to Aristotle's. Her meta-ethical derivation of them is slightly different (she disregards the teleological metaphyiscs of Aristotle in favor of a functional analysis of why we have or need ethics in the first place), but the end result is the same: Classical, virtue-centered ethics focused on living a good life in accordance with reason.

Classical ethics and modern ethics are really two entirely different things. Classical ethics answers the question "How best can I live a flourishing life?" Modern ethichs answers the question "What duties do I owe to other people?" Modern ethics presumes there is no answer to how to live your life, and says do what you want as long as you uphold all your duties to others. It is inherently other-regarding. Classical ethics answers how to live a flourishing life by explaining why you have duties to yourself and is inherently self-regarding. Duties to others are secondary to classical ethics, so often a modern ethicist who looks at classical ethics sees it as saying "you owe no duties to other people" and concludes that is at best amoral and at worst vicious and evil ethics. But modern ethics is simply unequipped to see or deal with self-regarding ethics. A classical ethical code is *more demanding* than a modern ethical code and in fact leads to far more ethically proscribed behavior towards others.

Whenever I see someone reject or misunderstand classical ethics (Rand's, Aristotle's, or otherwise) I always recommend they read Alisdair Macintyre thoroughly, as he demolishes all competing ethical theories and shows why utilitarianism, intuitionism, and so on cannot stand up to the nihilistic destruction of Nietzsche. Virtue ethics, because it is rooted in function (helping a person live a good life) is the only one that can. Macintyre does a much better job than Rand in explaining why virtue ethics are worthwhile.

As for W. Chambers and his nonesense review, living one's life in accordance with principles of individualism, rationality, integrity, magnanimity, and self-reliance are not the cornerstones of genocide. History has already demonstrated which moral systems have led to the most genocidal regimes, and they are all collectivist: Nazism, Stalinism, Maoism, Racism, Tribalism. Classical ethics can produce an Alexander, but it could never produce a Hitler.
Hmmm... I think I may have just been owned. I'm really not too keen on reading more Rand but Alisdair Macintyre does sound interesting. Any suggestions on which work to start with?

FrankDux

Aug 5, 2008
Gotta keep in mind that Hollywood is generally very liberal. I really don't think they will, because if the film gets bad press and there's backlash or a boycott, it could be disastrous.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
For starters, go with "A Short History of Ethics." It's a superb introduction. If you enjoy it, go for "After Virtue". He's an exceptionally thoughtful writer (and not a militant capitalist or libertarian, by the way; he goes in a very different direction but you'll see that it's all part of the same family of thought).

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Eyclonus post=18.68283.630337 said:
^^ You say that like Alexander was a good thing with his expansionist views powered by the need to feed his swollen ego.
Well.

Alexander died undefeated on the field, having conquered the known world, been worshipped as a god in his own lifetime, founded a great city, started the Hellenistic era, and become the basis for the most widely-read literature in the pre-modern world (the Alexander Romance). Personally fearless, his magnificence was such that the mere presence of his regalia was enough to stop the fighting between his successors. Two millenium later he is still considered the greatest battle captain to have fought, and is one of a tiny handful of historical figures deemed "the great".

So I ask you, what does a guy have to accomplish to not be accused of having a swollen ego?
Jeez.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Archon post=18.68283.631187 said:
For starters, go with "A Short History of Ethics." It's a superb introduction. If you enjoy it, go for "After Virtue". He's an exceptionally thoughtful writer (and not a militant capitalist or libertarian, by the way; he goes in a very different direction but you'll see that it's all part of the same family of thought).
Ooh, really going to have to find a copy of those books. Ayn Rand's books were a little extremist but I figure they were more or less in the right direction so this talk of classical virtues intrigues me.