Poll: Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

p01nt

Aug 15, 2008
I vote no to the movie because that means I'd actually have to finish this book. I could never get past the fact that it was almost like I was watching a play and from time to time some crappy voiceover would come on and start blabbering off her philosophy.

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
Archon post=18.68283.632319 said:
So wait. Was Decker a replicant, or not? That's all I really want to know.
If he was, he was the most advanced one created - he's so utterly convinced in his own humanity, he passes the Voight-Kampff test, meaning he has empathy - which the replicants did not, and he holds the same view of replicant animals etc. as humans do.

So I would say no, he was not a replicant.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Saevus post=18.68283.632243 said:
Also, similarly on Wikipedia:

Philip K. Dick became concerned that no one had informed him about the film's production, which added to his distrust of Hollywood.[18] After Dick criticized an early version of Hampton Fancher's script in an article written for the Los Angeles Select TV Guide, the studio sent Dick the David Peoples rewrite.[19] Although Dick died shortly before the film's release, he was pleased with the rewritten script, and with a twenty-minute special effects test reel that was screened for him when he was invited to the studio. Dick enthused after the screening to Ridley Scott that the world created for the film looked exactly as he had imagined it.[20] The motion picture was dedicated to Dick.
References 19 and 20 point to this book, by the way:

Sammon, Paul M. (1996). Future Noir: the Making of Blade Runner. London: Orion Media, pp. xvi?xviii. ISBN 0-06-105314-7.

Pages 67-69, 284.

Also, here is an interview thing you can read:
http://www.philipkdick.com/media_twilightzone.html

Check out this quote:
TZ: All of that changed when you saw David W. People's revised screenplay?

Dick: I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly.

I wrote the station, and they sent the letter to the Ladd Company. They gave me the updated screenplay. I read it without knowing they had brought somebody else in. I couldn't believe what I was reading! It was simply sensational -- still Hampton Francher's screenplay, but miraculously transfigured, as it were. The whole thing had simply been rejuvenated in a very fundamental way.

After I finished reading the screenplay, I got the novel out and looked through it. The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel. I was amazed that Peoples could get some of those scenes to work. It taught me things about writing that I didn't know.

The thing I had in mind all of the time, from the beginning of it, was The Man Who Fell to Earth. This was the paradigm. That's why I was so disappointed when I read the first Blade Runner screenplay, because it was the absolute antithesis of what was done in The Man Who Fell to Earth. In other words, it was a destruction of the novel. But now, it's magic time. You read the screenplay and then you go to the novel, and it's like they're two halves to one meta-artwork, one meta-artifact. It's just exciting.

As my agent, Russell Galen, put it, "Whenever a Hollywood film adaptation of a book works, it is always a miracle." Because it just cannot really happen. It did happen with The Man Who Fell to Earth and it has happened with Blade Runner, I'm sure now.

TZ: It's great to hear that.

Dick: Oh, yeah. It's been the greatest thing for me. I was just destroyed at one point at the prospect of this awful thing that had happened to my work. I wouldn't go up there, I wouldn't talk to them, I wouldn't meet Ridley Scott. I was supposed to be wined and dined and everything, and I wouldn't go, I just wouldn't go. There was bad blood between us.

That David W. Peoples screenplay changed by attitude. He had been working on the third Star Wars film, Revenge of the Jedi. The Blade Runner people hired him away temporarily to do the script by showing him my novel

I'm now working very closely with the Ladd Company and, I'm on very good terms with them. In fact, that's one of the things that's worn me out. I've been so amped-up over Blade Runner I couldn't work on The Owl in Daylight.

I hear the film's going to have an old-fashioned gala premiere. It means I've got to buy -- or rent -- a black tuxedo, which I don't look forward to. That's not my style. I'm happier in a T-shirt.

-- Alex

Saevus

Jul 1, 2008
Qayin post=18.68283.632416 said:
If he was, he was the most advanced one created - he's so utterly convinced in his own humanity, he passes the Voight-Kampff test, meaning he has empathy - which the replicants did not, and he holds the same view of replicant animals etc. as humans do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Blade_Runner#Deckard:_human_or_replicant.3F

I'd personally be inclined to say no, given all I've read. Even though Ridley Scott says otherwise.

Alex_P

Mar 27, 2008
Saevus post=18.68283.632555 said:
I'd personally be inclined to say no, given all I've read. Even though Ridley Scott says otherwise.
Though that's partly just to annoy fans. ;)

-- Alex

Alex_P

Mar 27, 2008
Archon post=18.68283.632543 said:
Did we just have an End Note in our forums? That should be a badge.
Can I get one for most use of
Code:

too?
>.>

(I like the way it spaces out my posts.)

-- Alex

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
The_Logician19 post=18.68283.630738 said:
Yeah...I've always thought of Ayn Rand being to capitalism what Osama bin Laden is to Islam (An extrimest militant). Not only that, but the subject matter is far to deep for a general moviegoing populus to understand; I'm not saying people are stupid, I'm saying that film is a different form of media than the written word, and one doesn't translate well into the other(look at Harry Potter or Eragon).

In so many words, no, I'm opposed to an Atlas Shrugged movie.

Apologies to anyone offended that I would compare Osama bin Laden to Ayn Rand: Of couse, in the book, they do shoot down boats shipping vital supplies to Germany, who is in the middle fo a famine. Their logic; those Germans should be able to grow their own food. Yeah, I wanted to punch Ayn in the face at that point.
I really wondered if Ayn Rand was not subtlely hinting at the KKK imagery of the noble White Man facing the N***r, the Jew, etc. (see storm front or google Bix Nood for illustration of what I'm talking about).

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
Qayin post=18.68283.632416 said:

Has anyone read the K.W. Jeter spinoff novels? In the novels, not only is Deckard a replicant, but the Replicants discovered a way to extend their lives.

Gapperjack

Aug 7, 2008
BallPtPenTheif post=18.68283.628735 said:
Colton Caramihalis said:
Angelina jolie would make a terrable Mis. taggart
is there any role she would be good in?
She's actually quite good in 'Girl, Interrupted' - And no, I didn't believe that before watching it, either.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Archon post=18.68283.631414 said:
And to whom do you look for your ethical guidance, Doctorpus?
I don't. People are far too complex to subscribe to one theory on the way we should live. Lots of people try but they always fail.

That being said if there's one author that influenced me above all others it would be Robert Tressell.

Carbon016

Nov 13, 2007
This movie would require the following:

- An ending where all the characters launch themselves into orbit by pulling themselves up by their bootstraps
- At least one backing song with the vocals: "fuck you I got mine", +5 if it's a aforementioned musical
- A copious amount of rape and Randian self-hating misogyny to stay true to the original
- A Ron Paul guest appearance. Bonus points if he is clothed in armor made out of pure gold

In short, it would be unintentionally hilarious.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Oh great, now thousands of impressionable morons who stopped drinking merlot because sideways told them to are gonna start acting like self serving dick holes. I've seen this book turn the smartest men I know into egoists. Now you're telling me the whole American public is gonna act this way? I think I'll be the only altruist left on the planet.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
Well you know it could be the one thing needed to justify me making my dream a reality, I just need the flamethrower...

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
Slightly more on topic; The Antagonists of Atlas Shrugged are going to need a rewrite. I mean their all stupid jerks. Audiences these days, while sheep like will not tolerate nemsisi that un-threatening....

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Gapperjack said:
BallPtPenTheif post=18.68283.628735 said:
Colton Caramihalis said:
Angelina jolie would make a terrable Mis. taggart
is there any role she would be good in?
She's actually quite good in 'Girl, Interrupted' - And no, I didn't believe that before watching it, either.
I didn't believe that after watching it.

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
I'd like to add in here that I'm tired of Movies based on something else - for example Books and OTHER MOVIES.

No more Remakes, no more cartoon/book/video game to Movie adaptations. Please.