Poll: Avatar - Who did you root for

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I was wondering if anyone else rooted for the humans in avatar?

[HEADING=2]Here's my reason for siding with the humans:[/HEADING]
I took this from another one of my forum posts
I agree. I always thought that the Na'vi were being arrogant and unreasonable. Humanity was offering them a lot and they refused. Humans were out there for there own survival and the Na'vi would not be diplomatic. That gave them only one option. The humans didn't care about exterminating the Na'vi, just surviving.

Jake Sully specifically was a jerk. Aside from showing no emotion he damned his own species. In addition to this he was hurting the Na'vi as well. If he had not united them maybe like twelve aliens would have died. Instead hundreds perished, both human and Na'vi. I'm sure that after the mining had been set up Na'vi would have been forced to negotiate with humanity, and maybe they could be uplifted from their primitive society.

In addition to this I quite frankly did not like any of the aliens. The only characters who stuck out to me were humans. I liked the executive and the macho military guy (I can't remember their names, sue me). On a really shallow level I didn't like the movie which made me immune to its propaganda.

Okay wow there's been 29 views and no posts. can you PLEASE qualify your opinions.

Why did everyone root for the Na'vi?

EDIT: Nevermind, thank you Hubilub.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
On an emotional level I stayed neutral, but I believe the Na'vi are right and the humans are wrong.

It was never explained that humanity needed unobtanium to survive, only that it's really expensive stuff they can get rich on. On an entire planet there should be more than just one place where they can find unobtanium, but apparently they didn't want to make the effort of relocating to another side of the planet.

And of course, that is considering that there are no other places in the entire universe where you can get unobtanium, which frankly sounds far-fetched. If it's so damn rare, then I don't see how humanity would survive for long on that stuff.

Jake Sully isn't a jerk. Why should he side with the humans in this conflict when they are the bigger assholes? And why should they just let the humans get their will through? They'd probably start harassing and killing other Na'vi as they went looking for more unobtanium.

And who the hell can support the idea of the humans uplifting the Na'vi from their primitive society? Remember the words Manifest Destiny?

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Hubilub said:
On an emotional level I stayed neutral, but I believe the Na'vi are right and the humans are wrong.

It was never explained that humanity needed unobtanium to survive, only that it's really expensive stuff they can get rich on. On an entire planet there should be more than just one place where they can find unobtanium, but apparently they didn't want to make the effort of relocating to another side of the planet.

And of course, that is considering that there are no other places in the entire universe where you can get unobtanium, which frankly sounds far-fetched. If it's so damn rare, then I don't see how humanity would survive for long on that stuff.

Jake Sully isn't a jerk. Why should he side with the humans in this conflict when they are the bigger assholes? And why should they just let the humans get their will through? They'd probably start harassing and killing other Na'vi as they went looking for more unobtanium.

And who the hell can support the idea of the humans uplifting the Na'vi from their primitive society? Remember the words Manifest Destiny?
We all regret that, which is why I think we wouldn't treat the Na'vi the same way we treated the Native Americans. As for the unobtanium we needed the minerals for our economy, and therefor our species to survive. Besides that even if we didn't taking over Na'vi would allow for us to build a galactic empire and make the world better for everyone. Mass Effect Anyone. The unobtanium itself would just get the humans started on bigger projects. Once Pandora was depleated (which would probably take 1000 years) they could expand to other planets.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's never stated that obtaining the mineral is a matter of life and death, just that it's worth a steep bit of cash.

In regards to the level of culture of the natives, I'm not sure calling it primitive is a correct analysis. Their technology is very much tied up in their own biology, but it's some pretty hefty stuff anyway (Mind linking, controlling other organisms, interfacing with the planet).

Technology based on lotsa steel, industry and whatnot is probably not a particularly viable approach when you live on a planet that has a documented ability to think and act. Acts that include annihilating interlopers.

Considering the space smurfs as part of the whole planet-wide hive mind, it doesn't seem viable to uplift them, rather like uplifting your white bloodcells, or an antsy group of hydralisks.

The expedition leaders were also needlessly callous with the lives of both natives and their own men. Poor leadership.

So, I disagree with the OP on this.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
rabidmidget said:
That's strange, I don't recall GLADOS being in that movie, I ought to go rewatch it.
It's after the credits. You have to beat the movie on insane difficulty. (It's 27 hours long and gives you even more of a headache)

Layz92

May 4, 2009
I wanted the Na'vi to win just because if you ruin your own planet you forgoe your attempt at getting my pity (you roll a 1 on charisma... or a 100 on fellowship depending). The humans ruined their own planet (well it is implied) and they just went in without much regard for the locals. And it was for cash, I wouldn't mind as much if it was for habitation. That being said I wanted that sergeant with the claw scars across his face to own his way off planet rather than being beaten. That guy was the shining light of awsomeness for me in that movie.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I rooted for the humans, MERELY because the ending part was so mother fucking cheap.

I've discussed this before, and my opinion hasn't changed, but what the fuck was it with all the vicious animals SUDDENLY cooperating with the Na'vi and in an instant know who their enemy was that they HAD to unite to fight against?

It's so cheap, not even air can compare to its fucking cheapness.

And so little is explained, but I'd side with the humans, no matter the cause, any day of the time.

... I'm still angry that the Na'vi won. Such a fucking cheap shot by the story. They were about to get mother fucking crushed. *-.-

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Chunko said:
rabidmidget said:
That's strange, I don't recall GLADOS being in that movie, I ought to go rewatch it.
It's after the credits. You have to beat the movie on insane difficulty. (It's 27 hours long and gives you even more of a headache)
hmmm, I would, but don't you need the 4d glasses to watch it on insane?

Layz92

May 4, 2009
iLikeHippos said:
I rooted for the humans, MERELY because the ending part was so mother fucking cheap.

I've discussed this before, and my opinion hasn't changed, but what the fuck was it with all the vicious animals SUDDENLY cooperating with the Na'vi and in an instant know who their enemy was that they HAD to unite to fight against?

It's so cheap, not even air can compare to its fucking cheapness.

And so little is explained, but I'd side with the humans, no matter the cause, any day of the time.

... I'm still angry that the Na'vi won. Such a fucking cheap shot by the story. They were about to get mother fucking crushed. *-.-
Hmmmm I never quite bothered thinking about it... It really is a literal Dues Ex Machina. Though as the phrase implies it was pretty much the only even slightly plausible solution that led to a good ending other than the Na'vi suddenly discovering they have sorceror-like power over the elements.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
To be honest, I didnt care who won in the end, I just wanted my to reboot and start to function again.

But I guess if I was pressed for an opinion, I'd side with humans, I'd always side with my species. Plus we had things that went boom, I'd rather have that than a stick anyday.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
I'm torn. The humans were monumental idiots and assholes, so I find little to root for there, but I flat don't care about the Na'vi or their dumb trees.... So I guess I'll go specieist and vote Humans.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
The movie is geared to make you sympathetic to the Na'vi at every turn, in fact with everything they portray I thought it was pretty much impossible to root the humans; guess I was wrong

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Chunko said:
we wouldn't treat the Na'vi the same way we treated the Native Americans.
HA that's a good one. People acually learning from their mistakes, how funny.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I don't think either side is correct. The humans were going to ruthlessly tear apart the natural environment in order to obtain their resources. I doubt they were going to abide by environmental protection protocols. I'm not opposed to the harvesting of natural resources, since I realize that they are necessary for the continued growth and survival of the human race. But there are a variety of ways to extract resources, some of which are much less harmful (though in many cases they are more expensive, or don't yield as many resources. I don't consider this to be a valid excuse for blatant disregard for environmental safety though).

So I can't really side with the humans since they are obviously going to wreck that area of the planet with no intent of cleaning up their mess. However I can't side with the Navi either, for reasons you already stated. I guess if I was forced to chose I would pick humans simply out of species loyalty, but I'm not going to pretend they were the good guys. To me that movie sounds like a bunch of idiot jerks attempting to blow up a bunch of blue idiots to obtain some vague, undefined resource.

I don't understand how unobtanium (ugh) can be so valuable though. But then again this is the movie with floating rock islands so trying to bring logic into it seems futile.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Hawgh said:
The expedition leaders were also needlessly callous with the lives of both natives and their own men. Poor leadership.
I don't really get this, humans only really died in the final fight, which they instigated in response to Jake building an army to attack them. It's not really the fault of the human leaders that hollywood physics applied in that battle, as even hollywood tactics should have led to human victory, miniguns are hard to argue with.
Callous with the lives of natives, fair enough, but they were being shot at on a daily basis, so I wouldn't expect the wellbeing of the Na'vi to overly concern the colonel.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Both my friend and I rooted for the humans when we saw Avatar. We both hated all of the main characters and their motives (both of us also hating hippies in real life). I also called the utterly retarded deus ex machina "plot twist" that allowed the stupid hippy space furries to not get their asses kicked by the humans. I wasn't a big fan of Avatar.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Chunko said:
Hubilub said:

We all regret that, which is why I think we wouldn't treat the Na'vi the same way we treated the Native Americans. As for the unobtanium we needed the minerals for our economy, and therefor our species to survive. Besides that even if we didn't taking over Na'vi would allow for us to build a galactic empire and make the world better for everyone. Mass Effect Anyone. The unobtanium itself would just get the humans started on bigger projects. Once Pandora was depleated (which would probably take 1000 years) they could expand to other planets.
The movie obviously showed that the higher ups don't give a lick about the Na'vi, that they have already tried to "civilize" them in a non-hostile and friendly way that didn't work one bit, and that they would gladly destroy anything the Na'vi hold dear. Hell, that's exactly what they would have done had the Na'vi agreed do diplomacy with them, and that's bullshit.

And they never said they needed unobtanium, just that they wanted it. There's no proof of our economy being so shite that we need all this unobtanium to survive.

And how the hell does Mass Effect have anything to do with this? And how the hell is an empire supposed to make the galaxy a better place?