Poll: Battlefield 3 PC - Anyone else not purchasing this due to Origin?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JustaGigolo said:
Cowabungaa said:
So no, Origin isn't stopping my purchase or BF3.
JustaGigolo said:
It being another generic modern war shooter is what put me off, Origin just sealed the deal.
Except that it does quite a few things other shooters don't, so there goes the 'generic' label. I swear, generic is one of the most overused words in the gaming community.
For the past couple weeks, I've been playing "Is It MW3 Or BF3" with the ads on television. It's a pretty tough game to play.
That's nonsense. Not even do they look quite different, their gameplay styles is also far from the same. Both games take place in the present day (more or less) and use guns from that era, that's about it. One is a fast-paced run&gun twitch shooter while the other is about tactics, teamwork and large scale battles.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Dexter111 said:
It's the same thing as Steam, the Terms of Service aren't much different either, Steam just got them in a different place.
With Steam the info being taken from you is OPTIONAL. With Origin it is not. That's the issue.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I'm not going to buy it. Which is sad, because I was SO HYPED about BF3. And I don't get hyped about anything. Actually, it's not really the fact that it requires Origin that puts me off; it's the whole "Origin Privacy Policy Debacle" that turned me off. As it is, I still have no idea what the deal is anymore with their privacy policy. <:-(

Regardless, I don't trust EA enough anymore to buy it. They'd have to do something really spectacular for me to play it.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
I'm not going to get it, I downloaded Origin played the demo have no problem with origin, just didn't like BF3.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Dexter111 said:
It's the same thing as Steam, the Terms of Service aren't much different either, Steam just got them in a different place.
With Steam the info being taken from you is OPTIONAL. With Origin it is not. That's the issue.
Read their EULA again, last time I installed Steam it stated that any information could be taking for intra office use regardless of opting into public usage.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JustaGigolo said:
Cowabungaa said:
JustaGigolo said:
Cowabungaa said:
So no, Origin isn't stopping my purchase or BF3.
JustaGigolo said:
It being another generic modern war shooter is what put me off, Origin just sealed the deal.
Except that it does quite a few things other shooters don't, so there goes the 'generic' label. I swear, generic is one of the most overused words in the gaming community.
For the past couple weeks, I've been playing "Is It MW3 Or BF3" with the ads on television. It's a pretty tough game to play.
That's nonsense. One is a fast-paced run&gun twitch shooter while the other is about camping and just as equally boring gunplay as every other modern war game.
Fixed that for you.
Very funny. Except that, you know, it's not. For example, in the Metro beta map you would never win a round as the attacking team when you just camped. It's also going to be pretty hard to camp seeing as how pretty much everything can be blown up. Start camping? Expect an RPG round to the face pretty soon. Not to mention smoke grenades and all that jazz.

You're confusing opinion with fact. And the fact is; both of them are different in many respects, and in fact only share a very general theme of both being modern day, 'realistic' shooters. BF3 isn't generic, even MW3 isn't generic. People keep using that word... Well, to quote a famous pop culture character:

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
People are paranoid schizos here. It searches your files only when its on, and only to personalize your advertisements (and possibly EAs game statistics but do you REALLY give a shit?)
Steam does the exact same thing people.

Also its fucking beautiful and the graphics are top notch. Try telling me they're generic and bland. Its the best looking shooter since Killzone 3 HD 3D.

Also this "I don't trust EA! I'm boycotting everything they do!" Is silly and naive. OH NOES ONE LOST SALE. Looks like they have to shut down now, lol. Seriously the only people you are trolling are yourselves.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Hamtier said:
originally it was, but they changed the TOS since then.
the reason i still do not have it is,cause i just dont care about the game anymore.
My opinion is pretty much this, word for word.
I wanted to play Battlefield 3, then I heard about needing Origin, and the whole deal with servers (No server browser, custom servers being grounds for permaban during the beta), and got really tired of the downright stupid marketing campaign.

TL;DR:
I'd like to play Battlefield 3, it looked vaguely interesting, but there's too much BS between me and the game for me to ever give enough of a damn to buy it. I'll end up spending those $60 in 5 dollar increments on Steam.
Also, put me down for a +1 on the "Modern Warfare as a setting is overdone". We need to get the next "Big Deal" already. CoD4 came and ended the WWII setting craze when it got stale, where's the new setting that ends the Modern Warfare's 15 minutes of fame?

Edit: My opinion is not intended to come across nearly as "angry" as other people in this thread seem.

mistwarden

Sep 5, 2011
I was going to buy BF 3 but as origins does not work with a proxy, I am block from playing the game, as I have to use the proxy for internet at halls, but steam works fine...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
Wasn't going to buy it anyway. Also, hasn't this thread been done to death. I swear there is at least one of these a week.
It has been done before with people threatening not to buy. Now the games is here, it is interesting to see whether people have followed through on their threat or folded...
Beryl77 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
I'd like the source, where it says that Origin does exactly what you said and in the way you described it.
Not sure what you mean by this or what info you are after exactly. Someone did do a check on Origin's activity on their computer once installed here:http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7492824.page
As far as what exactly EA do with the info once they get it, who can be 100% sure. The agreement though leaves it openly vague.
AzrealMaximillion said:
Most of the people crying about Origin spying on them probably have Facebook accounts. So many invalid arguments.
Stupid, facebook cannot go through your computer and look at what you have installed etc. That's is unless you have allowed lots of facebook apps that can do that. Facebook on it's own cannot do that and if I knew for a fact it could my hardly used account would be gone tomorrow.
silverbullet1989 said:
What you hiding on your computer -_-
Really the dumb 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about' argument, give me a break.

Kingme18 said:
Sir Shockwave said:
Yes. Well, this AND Mass Effect 3. I won't be buying either until EA amends the EULA.
Not sure if serious..... you really don't know that they did amend it??

OT: Of course I bought the game, I wanted it, and I got it. Besides, they changed the EULA, now it intrudes on your privacy just as much as steam.
Yeah, they changed it soooo much.
Normandyfoxtrot said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Dexter111 said:
Read their EULA again, last time I installed Steam it stated that any information could be taking for intra office use regardless of opting into public usage.
Show me the link / quote.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Don Savik said:
People are paranoid schizos here. It searches your files only when its on, and only to personalize your advertisements (and possibly EAs game statistics but do you REALLY give a shit?)
Steam does the exact same thing people.
Erm no, with steam upload of infor about the software and hardware on your computer is OPTIONAL (5th time of saying that in this thread).
Don Savik said:
Also its fucking beautiful and the graphics are top notch. Try telling me they're generic and bland. Its the best looking shooter since Killzone 3 HD 3D.

Also this "I don't trust EA! I'm boycotting everything they do!" Is silly and naive. OH NOES ONE LOST SALE. Looks like they have to shut down now, lol. Seriously the only people you are trolling are yourselves.
"OH NOES ONE LOST SALE."
Don't be a douche. It's not one lost sale it is however many people feel the same way. And I can guarantee it is more than just one. Last count it was at least 100 people above. Your the one who's trolling.

isnosche

Oct 4, 2010
Wont get it because of origin, dont care ... you can not have acces to all the information om my pc ... F*** off

isnosche

Oct 4, 2010
Btw if mass effect 3 is only on origin / or i hate to install the douche program...
Then thought it will kill me i wont get, trust me its like passing on a bj contest..
BUT I will, they are getting NO 0 - nada from me.
And yes you might say, you are just 1 guy but like someone said above ... we are plenty
who feel this way
Change the policy or i'm not giving you anymore money & in the end thats all
the pêople at E.A. really give a ratsass about anyways

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Dexter111 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Dexter111 said:
Last time I looked at my profile my computer said no.
They have my name, they have my address, they save the time I played any game, they save Achievements and they save a shitton of other stuff. I know that they ask you before doing a Hardware survey though, as I participated several times.

Origin is likely not doing any different though, and both their EULAs don't differ as much as you think... don't make me have to Copy/Paste it...

Steam has most of that hidden away in their "Privacy Agreement" instead of their Subscriber Agreement like Origin e.g.: http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Collection and Use of Information
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

"Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

"Individual information" is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve's products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve's users.
etc.

Now be silent! :p
How was that going to keep me silent when you have just confirmed where Steam and Origin differ. Steam ask's if you want to give them data about your hardware and software, Origin doesn't. So the fact you are aware of the Steam set-up makes you worse for not understanding that they are different.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Dexter111 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Dexter111 said:
Last time I looked at my profile my computer said no.
They have my name, they have my address, they save the time I played any game, they save Achievements and they save a shitton of other stuff. I know that they ask you before doing a Hardware survey though, as I participated several times.

Origin is likely not doing any different though, and both their EULAs don't differ as much as you think... don't make me have to Copy/Paste it...

Steam has most of that hidden away in their "Privacy Agreement" instead of their Subscriber Agreement like Origin e.g.: http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Collection and Use of Information
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

"Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

"Individual information" is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve's products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve's users.
etc.

Now be silent! :p
How was that going to keep me silent when you have just confirmed where Steam and Origin differ. Steam ask's if you want to give them data about your hardware and software, Origin doesn't. So the fact you are aware of the Steam set-up makes you worse for not understanding that they are different.
You have to agree to privacy policy to use the product at all I don't see how this isn't agreeing to allow them to gather data and then allow them to use that information for in office use.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Yeah, I am not really a fan of Origin. I probably would have waited for the price to go down anyway, but Origin sealed the deal for me not to purchase immediately.