Poll: BBC News Article: Sexual harrasment in video games

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Eamar said:
Just look at how much more tolerant society is now compared to a few years or decades ago, at least on the surface.
That is something I refuse to comment. I a lot of ways we are still jerks and far from tolerant. We just like to glorify ourselves and compare us to our past.

In 1000 years we will look back at the 2000's and think we are complete assholes right now, for reasons we can't even guess.

Ryotknife said:
you realize that you are implying that men should treat women better than they treat other men (which we do generally, i treat my friend's girlfriends hundreds of times better than i treat my friends that ive known for decades). to do so is the exact OPPOSITE of equality.

of course, this is assuming non malicious banter between equals, not full blown harassment.
Reply to his posts with ">implying..." points until he gives up from implying implications.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Erana said:
Why on Earth do you think this discriminatory, out of control trash-talking is okay?
No one that matters believes that it's ok. It's just that we have no idea how to handle the situation other than to ignore the offender.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Jammy2003 said:
While I usually avoid online play because of the playerbases, the few times I have played, the abuse seems to go all ways. It probably is stronger against women though, with it not being light ribbing and instead decending into general nastiness and outright weird s**t sometimes...

One thing I've always wondered though? With people being called out on "White Knighting" and people posting things saying guys should leave women to fight their own battles, as protecting them is also a form os sexism, it leaves the average guy confused as to what should actually be done. It then either leads to apathy, or possible assumptions that the people must know each other sometimes? No one wants to be the person butting in and "having no sense of humour".

So which is it? Are guys suppose to speak up and then be told to stop white knighting? Or stay quiet and let each person fight their own battles?
"White Knighting" is an odd beast... as far as I understand it, it's considered a bad thing if someone is rushing to the defence of a woman in an argument purely on the grounds of her gender, not because he actually supports what she's saying. Or something. I guess it's meant to be a bit like being a Nice Guy (TM) (and please god no-one jump on that expression, there's enough drama in this thread as it is without introducing the "friend zone" issue).

To be honest, I'm not convinced I've ever seen it done like that. From what I've seen it seems to be a term thrown around by guys who are bitter another dude finds their behaviour unacceptable. Or by crazy women who perceive any male attention as inherently threatening and/or sexual.

I could be wrong, but my advice would be to ignore it and just do whatever you think is right in any given situation.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
ElPatron said:
Eamar said:
Just look at how much more tolerant society is now compared to a few years or decades ago, at least on the surface.
That is something I refuse to comment. I a lot of ways we are still jerks and far from tolerant. We just like to glorify ourselves and compare us to our past.

In 1000 years we will look back at the 2000's and think we are complete assholes right now, for reasons we can't even guess.
Absolutely true, hence my "on the surface" comment. But still, doesn't mean we should discount all progress, right?

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
It is awful that things like that are happening in America it really is but over here in Britain there is no such sexism in video games because we, the British, are so brilliant and good looking and better and video games... What, its the diamond jubilee... I'm in a fun mood...

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I don't really get how this is an issue, if you don't like how someone is talking then just mute them - problem solved. The button is there for a reason people.

Other than that there really isn't anything that can be done. If someone wants to talk down to a chick then thats just what they're going to do.

If it's a problem - mute them.
If it's something more serious - report them.

Other than providing huge punishments to offenders (which would so easily get abused to affect innocent players) theres nothing else that can be done. Sorry ladies but for now, that's just how the occasional male gamer is going to act. I'm sure in time that things will change but just not now apparently.

Besides, it's not like women are the only people to recieve some kind of cyber abuse. I've had my fair share of greifers and I know some younger gamers who get shouted down all the time due to their voice (so much so that they don't even bother using a microphone anymore).

Mortai Gravesend said:
Soopy said:
but you know what? that is my fault for assuming you were capable of such a feat. So here is my apology.

I am sorry that treated you like a fellow adult. from now on i will treat you like the child that you wish to be treated as.
Reported.
That gets a report? It's over-sensitivity like that which probably started this entire thread.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Reported.
Both of you reported!

amiplayingitrite?

Eamar said:
Absolutely true, hence my "on the surface" comment. But still, doesn't mean we should discount all progress, right?
Right.

ironically_awesome said:
It is awful that things like that are happening in America it really is but over here in Britain there is no such sexism in video games
My brother has played with British people very often (same time zone) on xbl and it's not much different from Americans.

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
Ryotknife said:
and you implied that men treating women the same way they treat other men is still not right, implying that women should be treated better.
*facepalm*
While you may read the statement as that, I read it as men should treat each other better too.

I am sorry that treated you like a fellow adult. from now on i will treat you like the child that you wish to be treated as.
Same to you. Shush, boy.

A lot of people should stop being apathetic bend-overs and attempt to actually improve the community. Step 1: speak out against bullshit. Step 2: mute and report after step 1 is over with.

There is no step 3.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Who said online homophobia is acceptable, either?
I don't think it's acceptable, I'm just saying that, instead of getting all upset, posting blogs and writing news articles about it, I just mute the irritating little bastards and get on with it.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Sometimes when I play as a female character (or because my Xbox Live avatar is female) I'll either get abused or a bunch of friend requests without saying a single word.
A few times when there's been an actual girl playing and she's on voice chat and others start abusing her, I'll jump on the mic and tell them to shut up and show some goddamn respect, but all that accomplishes is either them ridiculing you for standing up for a girl ("do you love her? Is that your girlfriend?") or, and this only happened once, the girl got on MY back for being sexist, thinking that I thought she needed help from a man. I have gotten a few thank yous and a couple of guys have shut up and realised they were being idiots and those times sometimes make it worth it, but unless more people start defending others and stop being twats themselves, it's a problem that not going to go away.

EDIT - Oh, if people muted every little irritating twat that abused them, the problem would be beaten down considerably. Unfortunately, people like to fight when anonymity is involved.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
When Mass Effect released I was 13 and looking at Tali's butt in the elevator took up about 20% of my game time. So...eliminate elevators in games, maybe?

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
Creator002 said:
Sometimes when I play as a female character (or because my Xbox Live avatar is female) I'll either get abused or a bunch of friend requests without saying a single word.
A few times when there's been an actual girl playing and she's on voice chat and others start abusing her, I'll jump on the mic and tell them to shut up and show some goddamn respect, but all that accomplishes is either them ridiculing you for standing up for a girl ("do you love her? Is that your girlfriend?") or, and this only happened once, the girl got on MY back for being sexist, thinking that I thought she needed help from a man. I have gotten a few thank yous and a couple of guys have shut up and realised they were being idiots and those times sometimes make it worth it, but unless more people start defending others and stop being twats themselves, it's a problem that not going to go away.

EDIT - Oh, if people muted every little irritating twat that abused them, the problem would be beating down considerably. Unfortunately, people like to fight when anonymity is involved.
Captcha: good as gold.

I agree, captcha. I agree.

Keep going at it, mate.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Creator002 said:
and this only happened once, the girl got on MY back for being sexist, thinking that I thought she needed help from a man.
Comedy gold.

I would love to ask her if she would adopt the same stance if she was being assaulted on the street.

Mortai Gravesend said:
And I'm reported for what exactly? I don't think it's hard to see why I reported him. (...) Given his behavior I'm a bit doubtful, but we'll see.
I might consider giving up on trying to make jokes on the Escapist.

Sorry to interrupt your quest against... something.

Jammy2003

Feb 28, 2011
Eamar said:
"White Knighting" is an odd beast... as far as I understand it, it's considered a bad thing if someone is rushing to the defence of a woman in an argument purely on the grounds of her gender, not because he actually supports what she's saying. Or something. I guess it's meant to be a bit like being a Nice Guy (TM) (and please god no-one jump on that expression, there's enough drama in this thread as it is without introducing the "friend zone" issue).

To be honest, I'm not convinced I've ever seen it done like that. From what I've seen it seems to be a term thrown around by guys who are bitter another dude finds their behaviour unacceptable. Or by crazy women who perceive any male attention as inherently threatening and/or sexual.

I could be wrong, but my advice would be to ignore it and just do whatever you think is right in any given situation.
Well that's kinda what I thought, but how do people honestly expect to tell to difference between "Shut up and stop with the bull****" because you're irritated at their immaturity and don't like what they are saying, and "Shut up and stop with the bull****" because she's a woman and you must protect her from the nasty people so she will love you and be forever in your debt?

I guess what I'm trying to say is the behaviour of crazy women who see any male attention as threatening and/or sexual tar those rational ones who wouldn't mind a helping hand dealing with dicks with the same brush. And so it's hard to bother trying to improve the community, when there is a chance of it being thrown back in your face by ALL parties involved...

I usually do what I think is right, which tends to just be not put up with any of that crap, and go solo or LAN ;)