Poll: BBC News Article: Sexual harrasment in video games

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
How is anonymous trash talking sexual harassment? Christ, grow the fuck up.
If I phoned you and started talking about how I was going to rape and kill you and your family I would be arrested very swiftly why should it be any different over the internet

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Jammy2003 said:
Well that's kinda what I thought, but how do people honestly expect to tell to difference between "Shut up and stop with the bull****" because you're irritated at their immaturity and don't like what they are saying, and "Shut up and stop with the bull****" because she's a woman and you must protect her from the nasty people so she will love you and be forever in your debt?
You can't (unless, as Mortai said, you have observed the guy in question online over a period of time on forums and such. So yeah, basically you can't). Which is why anyone who comes out with the "white knighting" line after a single incident is an idiot and should be disregarded.

Jammy2003 said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is the behaviour of crazy women who see any male attention as threatening and/or sexual tar those rational ones who wouldn't mind a helping hand dealing with dicks with the same brush. And so it's hard to bother trying to improve the community, when there is a chance of it being thrown back in your face by ALL parties involved...

I usually do what I think is right, which tends to just be not put up with any of that crap, and go solo or LAN ;)
Totally get what you're saying, but please don't give up, we need more behaviour like yours :) I also tend to favour soloing/LAN these days, but In live in hope...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Considering that I don't think we have a particularly friendly relationship it's kind of hard to tell that it's a joke.
Considering that you will jump at any opportunity to antagonize anyone on the internet, I think it's obvious that someone will try to change the general mood of people.

getoffmycloud said:
Adam Jensen said:
If I phoned you and started talking about how I was going to rape and kill you and your family I would be arrested very swiftly why should it be any different over the internet
Does it work like that?

I think that people should be allowed to carry our their violent desires, so that the last thing they see is the muzzle of a 12GA shotgun suddenly flashing.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
getoffmycloud said:
Adam Jensen said:
Good point. I'm really not sure why people are prepared to accept these levels of crap online but not elsewhere :/

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
idarkphoenixi said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Soopy said:
but you know what? that is my fault for assuming you were capable of such a feat. So here is my apology.

I am sorry that treated you like a fellow adult. from now on i will treat you like the child that you wish to be treated as.
Reported.
That gets a report? It's over-sensitivity like that which probably started this entire thread.
Breaking the rules gets a report?!

Yes, yes it does as I can't retaliate in kind. Is following the rules that much of a foreign concept?
considering that you broke the rules first and i didnt report you? you were the one who name called first, and yet you are the first one to run and hide behind an aegis of false righteousness.

but im not worried, either the moderators will punish both of us or neither of us. either way is fair.

Jammy2003

Feb 28, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
The only times I really see accusations of 'White Knighting' being thrown around tend to be from people who want to continue verbal abuse at the person being defended honestly.

And standing up for them isn't sexism unless it's being done *just* because they're women. Which is pretty much impossibly hard to discern if someone is doing unless you can view their behavior over the long term. Besides, disliking sexism and objecting to it for that reason isn't about protecting people. It's not just women's battles, it's a battle for anyone who thinks it's wrong.
True, but I've seen it debated about by women and level-headed people also.

Also true, but as it is so hard to tell someones motives for doing something, it'll just get thrown at you anyway. And there is no way for you to prove otherwise. So while it may not be about "protecting" people (My bad, wrong choice of words I guess, not my intention in writing or in my actions), its much more difficult for a man to help than a woman to stand up for themselves. This doesn't mean they shouldn't, but its the anonymity again, people care less about people they don't know, both in the insults they throw, and the effort in caring about others.

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
ElPatron said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Considering that I don't think we have a particularly friendly relationship it's kind of hard to tell that it's a joke.
Considering that you will jump at any opportunity to antagonize anyone on the internet, I think it's obvious that someone will try to change the general mood of people.
Truth be told, buddy, I don't like your face either. You're not a very good comedian.

Jammy2003

Feb 28, 2011
Eamar said:
You can't (unless, as Mortai said, you have observed the guy in question online over a period of time on forums and such. So yeah, basically you can't). Which is why anyone who comes out with the "white knighting" line after a single incident is an idiot and should be disregarded.

Totally get what you're saying, but please don't give up, we need more behaviour like yours :) I also tend to favour soloing/LAN these days, but In live in hope...
That's true I suppose, so long as it's the guy throwing the accusations of white knighting at you ;) Maybe I'll have to remember that more if I ever bother with online play again.

The mythical day may arrive some time when one can play online in fear of being called a "noob" "fag" or.... Yeah I won't bother listing them I guess, might be here for a while!

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
aaaah the pinacle of racial toleration,love for the maternal branch and sexual diversetiy that IS online gameing.
never experienced it heard that XBL is the worst tough and I think some people should get their mics revoked.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I agree it's a good job we can just mute pricks like that.
I would be so happy if I could mute people in real life...

It's unacceptable the way some of these guys act, of course it is. Half the time they're butthurt because they lost and just want to lash out at you for something, their hate will be directed towards something they think is mockable which may include your gender.
I just don't know what we can do. Reporting never seems to work. It just seems the 'mute, block, grow a thicker skin and move on' is the only viable option in my eyes.

I don't see the problem ever going away. As long as people have this anonymity they'll slag others off in games to make their dick feel big.
I certainly don't want to start hiding my gender just to avoid abuse but those girls who are on mic announcing their gender with the 'SexyGirlGamer69xXx' gamertags just make me angry. You know there's pricks like that online so having an inviting name like that is just fuelling the fire.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
boag said:
Of course, they're everywhere, so "go somewhere else" is kind of a poor solution. And I like how the answer to a detrimental cultural attitude comes down to "just ignore it."
Which is why you say to leave. That's totally cleaning things up. And since the option to kick and ban are all-powerful (except they're not)....

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Extra Credits made an episode about this.

The rundown of it was to prevent these people from being harrassed there would (hypothetically) be a system where if you as a person were frequently muted or given bad reports you would be automatically be muted when you enter game lobbies.

There are flaws in this of course but in theory it's a good idea.

But in my opinion:
Sticks and Stone may break your bones but words will never harm you. If girl gamers are parading themselves in game lobbies and say "i'm a girl gamer, don't treat me differently" in my mind they kinda have it coming. I realise this isn't the case for all girl gamers and in which case they can probably mute the other players in the lobby (it would kinda suck to play team based games though :/)

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I think there are a lot of problems with how people respond to the idea of sexual harrassment online. One thing I see a lot is "Just hide the fact you're a woman" or "leave the game". Neither of those ideas work. Why should a person be forced to leave or hide themselves away because of someone elses problem with them? Im not even talking about specifically women here but also homosexuals/bisexuals, people of a specific race, or even someone who just doesnt seem the norm. This stuff shouldnt be tolerated by the community and I think the companies are enabling it by not giving gamers the tools to report this kind of behavoir along with having a clear policy to punish people that abuse other users.

Whether companies are legally responsible for the actions of these users Im unsure. However if a person can sue a government body because it failed to respond to an individuals sexual harassment I suspect companies could be held legally responsible as well.

From my point of view I think companies need to step it up and put out clear policies to stop this kind of thing but I dont think thats going to happen till someone files a lawsuit

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
skywolfblue said:
Soopy said:
Men give each other shit in a similar fashion all the time, you just can't take it to heart.
People shouldn't be giving each other that kind of shit period. It doesn't matter if they're male, female, black or white, unacceptable behavior should not be tolerated.
Often however the behaviour is not only tolerated, but part of normal social interaction, guys often mock and insult each other often as a sign of competitive comradely. I have online friends who I mock constantly and personally, most of whom give as good as they get. In fact i spend upwards of 10 hours a week on Skype with a friend who frequently tells me he cant hear me because my mouth is full of penis.
Quite frankly the quantity of people who are actually malicious are so small that you just need to grow up and learn to work the mute button as opposed to crying to the behaviour police.

Sep 14, 2009
BRex21 said:
skywolfblue said:
Soopy said:
Men give each other shit in a similar fashion all the time, you just can't take it to heart.
People shouldn't be giving each other that kind of shit period. It doesn't matter if they're male, female, black or white, unacceptable behavior should not be tolerated.
Often however the behaviour is not only tolerated, but part of normal social interaction, guys often mock and insult each other often as a sign of competitive comradely. I have online friends who I mock constantly and personally, most of whom give as good as they get. In fact i spend upwards of 10 hours a week on Skype with a friend who frequently tells me he cant hear me because my mouth is full of penis.
Quite frankly the quantity of people who are actually malicious are so small that you just need to grow up and learn to work the mute button as opposed to crying to the behaviour police.
while i'm not saying i disagree with you, just prepare yourself for the onslaught of the politically correct brigade puking all over you with disgust while looking down upon you. You've been warned!

Perhaps a piece of bacon or two will come out too, who knows what "those people" eat...

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
just prepare yourself for the onslaught of the politically correct brigade puking all over you with disgust while looking down upon you. You've been warned!
I have at least 2 hours of watching a machine freeze-dry plant samples tomorrow, it will give me something to do.

Sep 14, 2009
BRex21 said:
gmaverick019 said:
just prepare yourself for the onslaught of the politically correct brigade puking all over you with disgust while looking down upon you. You've been warned!
I have at least 2 hours of watching a machine freeze-dry plant samples tomorrow, it will give me something to do.
oh look at you, so while being a lazy fag checking out some plants like the male chauvanistic pig you are, you will come on here to demeanor and spew your bile against properly cultured and adhered citizens?

(sarcasm ahoy!)