Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
This thread may be dead... for now. I really think it should be revived be replying to it, no matter how long ago the last post was. It is a good topic in my opinion, and not everyone has discussed in it.

It's better than making more threads about girl gamers, right?

If you are a girl gamer, you can share your experiences with others not treating you the way they should.

As for me, I treat them as fairly as a can, but sometimes I would put a girl on my list of friends online in front of others (I know, that's sad). I don't talk to them as much as I can, it's just actually talking to a girl seems new to me all the time. Definitively not like high school, I never talk to girls.

Others I've met online however, make sexist comments like: "Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!". Sometimes it would be cheesy chat up lines like: "If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together." which I have heard at least 20 times. Comments like that are usually from prepubescent kids.

To see how it would be like being commented on by sexist bastards online, on Halo: Reach I made my character female with white and pink armour (make fun of me if you want). I played a couple of matches in multiplayer and then joined some recent players in their open custom games.

I eventually joined a custom game with only 2 players, some guy without a mic and a little kid who probably sleeps in a racecar bed. When they finally saw my character as a woman, the first thing the little kid said to me was "Hey, are you a girl?" I chose to not plug my mic in just encase he asks me to speak, then I sent him a text message saying "Yes, I am a girl -_-". After a couple of minutes me killing them over and over again, the little kid started saying things like "Go to the kitchen where you belong", etc.

Once I left their game the other person without a mic sent me a text message which said: "I'm gonna rape you some day" and another simply only composed of the word "*****".

I never contacted them after that, until EXACTLY a month later, (with messages only appearing in your inbox a maximum of 30 days) the little kid, I had met 1 month earlier, sent me a friend request. Amazing. He kept the message I sent him in his inbox for a whole month.

I was in a "What the f*ck?" state, me finding out someone who made offensive comments to a (pretend) girl would keep a message from one for a whole month and wanted to be friends. I didn't know how to react to that, so I ignored the request.

It's really these kinds of people that don't deserve to talk online. Maybe this is like you, maybe not. If you are like this, please don't abuse the fact that you can be offensive online and not have any consequences. Be honest with yourself.

The whole thing about making my avatar/character female was to see what it was like to be in their shoes. I've gotten annoyed, insulted and discouraged by certain folk, and they didn't even know I was male. On the light side for me, I've gotten plenty of friend requests and compliments like 'Good job that game, we would of lost if it weren't for you.' I'm assuming I probably would get a lot less random friend requests and compliments if my avatar/character was male. Others would think 'Hmm, just another guy gamer, nothing special."

Anyway, back to the question... Do you treat girl gamers the same online? This goes for treating them better or treating them worse.

TL;DR

You're lazy.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Well I cant say I have seen any, although I think I play l4D with one fairly often.
I never actually asked though XD I dont want to seem rude :p

So yeah I guess I treat them the same. Not sure why I wouldnt.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I can't say that I've met any girl gamers. I mean, I'm pretty sure I have, but I wouldn't know when I'm playing online. Anonymity is one of the traits of online interaction.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
I don't actually use my mic when I play online, which is itself a rare occurence. However, were I to use to use the voice chat option, no I wouldn't treat girl gamers differently.

The ones who act like that are generally the same bunch that throw insults about anyway, so I'd be inclined to say that they are just a very vocal minority, and not indicative of the mindset of gamers in general.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
I have never noticed any, I suspect I would treat them the same, but might swear/shout less (if i was playing with them and not just randomly met).

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Man or woman, black or white, it makes no difference to me.
I'll still probably lose to them and claim their win was unfair and cheap, no matter how legitimate it actually was.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
I don't think anyone should, but insecure (teenagers, mostly) boys tend to do just that.
Their ego is so fragile that it can't stand even the idea for losing to a girl.

As a sidenote; Some guys do kind of opposite treating, giving lots of free items among other things on MMORPG's and such. I don't think even that kind of behavior is necessary (unless it's about your girlfriend :)), everyone should treat girls as equals.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
I think your experience on Halo was a rare occasion. I played World of Warcraft for 2 years and almost all of the time the girls would be treated nice instantly. When one speaks all of a sudden the whole realm wants to be their friend... that's prepubescent kids for ya. If I see anyone making sexist comments, they are usually joking around in an attempt to flirt.

We should be more worried about people like you who pretend to be girls online when they're not in real life. So many people do this and it's really sad.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I don't treat them any differently in real life (with the exception of there being a rank unlockable beyond "best friend") so I don't see why I would treat them any differently. Girl gamers are in the minority, and are awesome. Therefor, why would I treat them differently when that would drive them away from the game?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
The only people I game with online (Or at least the only ones I talk to while gaming) are girls so, no.

This coming from a guy who has mostly girl friends (not girlfriends)

The guys I game with are random strangers (almost always playing Reach or AssCreed Bro) when I play with girls I know them so we're usually in party chat or playing CoOp.

So I don't treat guys and girls the same online.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
The fact that this thread even exists is pretty disrespectful to women in and of itself. I'm not a 'girl gamer', nor am I a 'grrl gaemr', 'gurl gamr', or any absurdly misspelled combinations of the words 'girl' and 'gamer'. I'm just a person who plays video games. Anybody who puts an asterisk next to that because I sit down to take a piss needs to grow the fuck up and remind himself that it isn't fucking 1955 anymore.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I treat them the same unless they try to make a big deal out of it. If they say something like "I'm a girl! Stop killing me!" I politely tell them to shut up because nobody cares. In any other situation I treat them like anyone else.
I get the sexist comments all the time because I have pink armor in halo. Everyone I know on xbox calls me pinky so it causes a lot of confusion until they hear my voice telling them that they will be in the next sandwich I make. :D

EDIT: If someone sends me a message saying that they are a girl then I assume they are a 40 year old guy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not played many online games myself at all, but the ones I did, I didn't notice any differences, nor did any myself.

On ther other hand, these were no budget, no graphic browser based games...ah, tdzk, constantly getting podded due to my own endless stupidity. Maybe they attracted a different crowd.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Lucyfer86 said:
I don't think anyone should, but insecure (teenagers, mostly) boys tend to do just that.
Their ego is so fragile that it can't stand even the idea for losing to a girl.

As a sidenote; Some guys do kind of opposite treating, giving lots of free items among other things on MMORPG's and such. I don't think even that kind of behavior is necessary (unless it's about your girlfriend :)), everyone should treat girls as equals.
My friend used to play as a girl on Runescape purley for the free stuff, also to troll people who tryed to flirt XD

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
I put that I've never met one, but that's a lie - I met plenty at university. One was a CoD savant and kicked everyone's asses from here to Timbuktu...

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Eyup, I treat everyone the same as anyone else, which is to say based on if they're playing well or being annoying. Until someone proves to be an annoying ass (or idiot) I'm pretty friendly online.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
2 live in my house, my wife and eldest daughter. Be a bit awkward if I started telling them to "get back in the kitchen" and i'd probably be spending a lot of nights on the sofa. Plus, already married her, so no need to chat her up.

I treat female gamers same as male gamers, any reason I should be treating them differently?

When I was playing WoW I joined a guild my wife was an officer of when I re-rolled on that server. One of the other officers was a lass and I had the best banter with her i've had in any other game. She could take a joke and give as good as she got, her husband was a good laugh aswell.

So no, don't treat them any differently. When i'm playing a game, I don't see a person I see pixels.