Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
i voted no, but on reflection i probably should have gone with never met one. the few i see on tf2 are usually talking about inane shit with some people they already know, which no matter what sex you are, i'm going to call you out on. rudely. i admit, sometimes i turn into a little bit of a dick, but it is really quite annoying.
if a girl was just playing the game and talking strategy and such, i'm pretty sure i'd treat the same way i treat anyone else. that being, relatively politely and mostly just talking about what is going on in the game right that second. what can i say? i don't play online to make friends.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I treat them the same... except I'm a little bit less likely to trash-talk them... I had a bad inequality feeling about that but you reminded me it's usually the other way around for them on-line

Apr 15, 2009
as long as they aren't grrrrrrrrrrrl gamers and point out the fact that they're girls every five nanoseconds I really don't give a damn

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I almost never play online, so no, i haven't met any girls there.

When I meet a girl who plays games/tinkers with computers in real life, I think it's pretty cool. I usually say as much too.

Top35

Apr 14, 2010
I honestly try to act just the same, if not a little better, as if they were a male gamer. I figure it's best if we just treat everyone good when we're online.

Galite

Sep 11, 2011
I do, that's probably because all through my life most of my friends have been girls. However being friends with girls online also means I get the joy of listening to the idiotic masses if when we play on pub servers.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Of course I don't treat them the same, they're female, so naturally there's some chance that we both might feel the urge to do silly things to one another, an event that could never happen with my male game playing friends.

Does this mean I always want to bone them: probably not, hormones are a pain in that one visual can instantly change this, but generally that's not my only goal unless they're hot, or cute, or funny, or bad ass, or smart, or any combination of those.
Does this mean I 'let them win' or play any different: No way dude, they get beat just like everyone else, plus that would be like an insult.
Does this mean I talk less trash: Nope, just makes the content slightly different, girl-guy friendships are different usually, except for tomboys, which are awesome, but still its always fun with females to slip a little flirting into the conversation even if there's nothing sexual going on.
Do I think girl gamers are less skilled than male gamers: That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Just because there are generally fewer female gamers doesn't mean they can't be as good if not better than males. We're humans, the whole idea is we can be anything we push ourselves to be.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Since you don't see many who actually use mics, I treat them rather nicely initially. I do the same to anyone until they piss me off... Except for kids, I just mute them the second I hear their voices. It's just the pitch mixed with the whiny quality they have and I just can't fucking tolerate it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
MrDeckard said:
Whenever I see a girl tag or they say they are a girl, I immediately assume guy until PROVEN otherwise.

After that, I get worried if they are on the apposing team. In my experience, the only girls who are willing to play online multiplayer are the ones who are REALLY good at it.
THIS.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
So long as they aren't GRRRL gamers, sure. I don't see a problem with it. So long as they act like human beings, I treat them the same way I'd treat anyone.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
Sometimes I do. Depends how social they are. If they're willing to chat while playing I'll chat back and usually throw some flirtatious lines in there somewhere. Only if there's a way to privately chat though, it's just obnoxious if an entire server realizes there's a girl present because there's always at least one person in the server who's going to be immature and basically a pain in the ass.

Although, I know it's not a good thing but I always picture somebody incredibly attractive on the other end. Even though I'm completely aware there's no way they're going to look like the image in my head, it's a bad habit I can't fix.

Also, if a girl I was being flirtatious towards asked me to stop: I would. People deserve the same respect in-game as in real life.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I haven't played online in a while, but yeah I treat everyone the same. If they suck, I gloat and prance around. If I lose, I bow out gracefully with as much dignity as I can muster.

For most games though, I only play with family/friends. Less annoyance that way.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I chose yes, but I guess it would be no since I try to treat them better, with more patience at the very least, because I know that there are so many people who harass girls online with their perverted and sexist comments. Look at any girl's youtube page and the majority of the time, regardless of their popularity, there are many disturbing comments which you'd only see online and never in public. :(

Edit: I don't play first person shooters, I mainly talk to girls (online) on WoW and League of Legends. MOBA games like LoL have a terrible community, but I doubt it is worse than some of the communities I've heard about, such as CoD and TF2. I've never played CoD and I barely played TF2, so I can't judge their communities based on what I've seen from them, just judging from what I've seen from forums and ingame for LoL and WoW and a few others.

Requi3m

Jul 27, 2008
I treat girl gamers no different than any other girl. We've had some women in my Warhammer Online guild and gender didn't matter to anyone. At one point one of the women even became guild leader.

Thinking about it, I know quite a few women that play games. Guess it's the sort of crowd I hang out with :).

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Really, the only way to know if someone is a girl online is to hear them over mic, or if they point it out repeatedly in game-chat for attention.

As for how I treat them,..I have no 'vagina loyalty', which means I don't treat other females in a special way (in real life or online) because they also happen to be female. Just because we both get periods, does not make us soul sisters.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
In Guild Wars couple of years ago our guild leader was a girl(awesome person btw :) ) but I don't think I treated her any different. I just thought she was just another person playing GW. So, no. I treat female gamers the same as male gamers.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I regularly play on an Australian Zombie Panic Source server. Our community has a few regularly girls. Most of them admin. Sure they are fine admins but I believe they got it just because they are girls. Then again when no other admins are on and some 12yr does the normal "are you a girl" thing they can simply kick. We don't want that shit on our server.

I'm good steam friends with a few of the players and only one them is a girl. In that respect I haven't added people because of a gender. Though I can kind of forget which 15-20yr typical male gamer your talking to. Things they say kind of blur together. Player X wil say he like Y. Then when talking to Player Z you forgot and believe he said he likes Y. With fewer girl gamers you remember what they said a little easier.

I try to keep in mind that when some idiot joins the server the first person with will pick on is the girls. So I'm not sexist I don't need that reason to not be sexist though. Normal jokes and giving out shit I give out to all.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
I don't judge or bias people. I don't care about race, gender, age or anything else really. I treat everyone nicely unless they act like an ass, at which point they can expect a verbal whiplash. I do however have quite a few girl friends (not all of them advertise it right off tho') over the various MMO's and other games I've played but that's mostly because they tend to be more talkative and nicer.

~I want to write this better and differently but I'm sickly atm and so my mind is just one big fog cloud. I'm not even entirely sure what I've written is on topic or makes sense. :/