Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Men are usually nice to you online up up until the point where you do better than them at it. Then they say you only get things, into clans, lead a successful clan/guild etc becuase you are a girl. I have also had people kick me out of arena teams on WOW where I was practically carrying them becuase 'girls can't pvp'.

It's a double edged sword tbh.

PVP seems to be the biggest no go area that men have for women I find. It's just not needed and It's also slightly wierd when people who know you as a gamer, who plays on very hard difficulty settings most of the time, act surprised when you are decent at L4D or something.

I don't want to be treated special just the same. I actually get very anxious when playing with guys I don't know becuase I don't know how they are going to react.

I get on better with guys in general but I don't treat anyone differently if they are a girl.

Amos the famous

Jan 23, 2011
No, I treat girl gamers with much more respect online. They're breaking the mold imo and they don't deserve they stick they get just for being a girl gamer

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
As long as they don't have the word "girl" or anything to that effect in their username. That is just asking to be treated differently. And I notice that people with those names play a lot worse then female gamers without them. It's almost like "Hey, I'm a girl, so that makes it okay that I suck ass at this game". That is not an excuse, there are female gamers who play just like everyone else without asking for attention and making excuses because of their gender.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I used to be kind of thrown off by a girl gamer I happened to encounter every once in a while. I didn't necessarily treat them very differently, but it was generally offputting because it's kind of rare. That is until I joined one of my past guilds in WoW.

In that guild both the guild leader and the raid leader were girls, I was with them for a couple of years so I did get used to girls being involved in my gameplay experience, and eventually I didn't even think of them as "girl gamers" but simply guildmates.
After that, I haven't been thrown off by girl gamers, and I treat them just the same as guy gamers. Then again, I rarely play multiplayer games anymore and when I do, I'm usually silent both in voice- and text chat.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Whenever I go into a matchmaking lobby I mute everyone I see, so I never get the opportunity to determine who is a girl. If someone's name is declaring their status, along the lines of "XxGamerGirl42xX" then I think less of them, but in the actual match I don't have time to think about someone's name.

Manawa

May 13, 2009
If I will have an assumption that I'm playing with a girl online I usually start to be protective of her and generally act like gentleman (aka: "meat shield"). That's not always the case though - as male can play as a female character and vice versa. Generally I'm humble person, one that would recast buffs in WoW on random players around me for no reason really (though I stalked female players just to make sure they will not die;).

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Aerosteam 1908 said:
"Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!"

"Go to the kitchen where you belong"

"I'm gonna rape you some day"

"*****"
Welcome to XBox Live.

Vamantha

Aug 2, 2011
When I used to play online a lot it would happen. Sometimes I would get tons of gifts other times I would get a bunch sexist crap. I wouldn't even ask for the gifts. During a game of Uno (this could only have happened on xbox) a boy joined the game, discovered through a friend in the game using a mic that I was female then threatened to stab me unless I went on cam for him in the game mic chat.

Granted that alone is annoying, but then we have the people who gender bend (play as female toons) who troll and act all cute to get free stuff. I hate you people with every fiber of my being.

As for treating girl gamers like everyone else I treat them with respect until they piss me off.

targren

May 13, 2009
If they're not friends, I do. I figure if I've actually got an established relationship with someone, male or female, then that gives me some leeway to bust their balls (so to speak) a little bit. Mostly because if they weren't the sort who could take it, we wouldn't be friends. :)

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i just would like to note - making sexist comments does not mean you are not treating girls the same way as guys online.

when my girl - friends are playing games (so...when they are at my house and we have nothing to do) i make sexist comments at them. however, if its someone i met online im quite nice. i let people slowly wade into my insanity.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I don't want to be treated special just the same. I actually get very anxious when playing with guys I don't know becuase I don't know how they are going to react.
Are you kidding me? If you're a capable gamer, I'll treat you to the proverbial 'dinner and a movie' simply because you've got skill.

I've played online co-op on L4D2 with a team of guys who did nothing the entire time but ***** about how I was playing. Which usually involved a shotgun and mass amounts of dead enemies, or a katana and the same.

If you have the skill to be useful in an online game, I don't CARE if you're female or not, you're contributing to the game in a positive manner. That's good enough for me.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
Vamantha said:
Granted that alone is annoying, but then we have the people who gender bend (play as female toons) who troll and act all cute to get free stuff. I hate you people with every fiber of my being.
Does that mean you hate me? Because, while I don't act at all like a female, I do prefer to play as a female character, because they appear to be better suited to the stealth roles I enjoy so much. Eg: Small, slender, easier to hide in the shadows than the giant ball of muscles that is the general male character....

Not gonna lie though, I've been given TONS of free stuff simply by being a female character, and I've never once actually pretended to be a female in RL. Many guys just seem to assume that a female avatar means a female player.

I've even been asked on dates a couple times.

Ramanthes

Jul 15, 2011
Online sure I treat them the same (lots of a-holes flying in any direction),offline I have to admit that when it comes to girl gamers ,(don't get mad ladies,it's a funny quote) I do put the pussy on a pedestal.But that's mostly because here in 10-years-ago-land even male gamers are still rare.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Well I always treat them as the same as long as they're a respectable gamer. but there's always the little thoughts in the back of my head. like "maybe she'd go out with me?" and all that. but I brush it off after a while. I mean who wants to date a guy who asked you out over xbox live or the PSN? surly we're all just some wannabe cod thug or a fat looser right? that's the image we have these days anyway. maybe if we met under different circumstances, who knows.

But I have the same respect for any gamer no matter the sex or race. but when your a dick about it. brace yourself for some extremely dapper put downs from hell!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I treat girls in games the same as boys.

That is to say, another soul to be ground beneath my heel!
I really really hate it when you play with/against a girl in a game, and she thinks she should get preferential treatment just because she has boobs.
Even worse, is when she fucking gets it.
This happened all the time when I played WoW... A guy would fuck up, and our raid leader (a guy) would be "you can do better than that! stop the bullshit!", whereas a girl would fuck up and he'd say "you can do better next time, its alright".
You always get these girls in games that think just because of their gender, everyone else should bend over for them and let them win.

I've played with girls, and the few that are genuinely good at the game I am playing, are pretty cool. Guy gamers are a dime a dozen, and I occasionally add them to friend lists when they're cool, but I usually add good girl gamers to my list. Obviously, they have to meet the same criteria as guys (don't be a douche, be good at the game, be fun to hang out with, etc.) but I think I am a little more lenient towards girls.
Thankfully, I've never been "ZOMG A GIRL, ADD ME TO FRANDS?!?!?", because I know the reality with girl gamers, is that they are more than likely playing the game because their boyfriend got them into it. Besides that, I can't stand whiney drama queen girls, but thats a separate issue.

I've played a female character (female spartan, female blood elf, Anya/Myrrah, etc.) and its hilarious to get hit on from guys who think your pixels = your gender. One guy in WoW was convinced that he had met his soul mate, while I was laughing too hard to even respond xD
Probably the worst I've gotten, is this one guy in Reach saying "yo *****, why you playin Reach when you should be makin' babies and bacon?" to which all of his friends on his team were "OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!".
I plug in my mic, and say (in my sick throat-cold voice) "Because someone has to teach you punks how to play"
50 - 17 later, they never troubled me again 8D
I have gotten a few "why do you play a girl... ?" people, but I have my various reasons.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I've never known if I've met any girls online, since I automatically turn mics off. If I did know, I'd probably only back them up a bit, being a girl as well. :D

I don't mention my gender either, so I haven't had any noteworthy treatment. My PSN is non-gender related for that reason. But I'd love to do a big reveal one day and see the reactions. :D

EDIT: In real life however, when I mention being a Gamer I get a few incredulous looks. They instantly think either I suck or I only play certain types of games.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
It really depends. If they're just playing the game, I treat them no different to anybody else. If they're constantly on the mic for no reason other than to draw attention to the fact that they're a girl, as well as making the retarded, "I'm good at this game, for a girl" comments, then I will treat them like they are a piece of garbage. I game to have fun, not to put up with some attention-whore targeting teenage nerds in some sad, desperate quest for shits and giggles.