Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

Tcafitra

Apr 30, 2011
I'll just leave these here...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6258778/xbox-girls-get-revenge

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6433683/xbox-girls-strike-back

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I don't play online that often these days (Xbox Live is a fucking hellhole) and I can only recall one time that I know for sure I was playing with a female. It was just a few months after FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage had been released and one of the players that night was a female from Canada. And noone really cared. Everyone was there to have a good time and noone was acting like a jerk towards her or any of the other players.

... damn, the community in FlatOut used to be so awesome...

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
No I don't treat them equally. I would come straight to their defense if some prick starts being rude unlike if some guy starts being rude to some other guy, in that case I usually just sigh and mute them. I am truly a chivalrous knight of the internet :p

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
*snip snip snap*
Aaah yes. The things people say when they lose. Especially to a girl. *foam foam foam*

heck... Most girls I encounter think differently when it comes to gaming, especially when it comes to tactics and suches. It's refreshing really. Do I treat them equally? Yes, yes I do. There is no sense in treating them differently, as most of them kick my ass merciless and rub it in my face. Which is in a way also refreshing, since for once it's not a 12 year old. (Talking about MW2 here for a moment.) I happen to know a girl in my class who also plays it. Prestige 10, unstoppable 35/2 -every- match again (of course not exact, but you get the gist) and she teases me with my meager 18-7 score.

I wish there were more girls to play with. For some weird reason I like playing with them alot more. Most of them seem to not have the -in a high pitched screaming english accent voice- " OMG YOU NOOB IM GONNA " Nor do I get stormed with messages "Learn to play you f noob!" to which my intelligent responce is "Learn to play peggle, child".

Myeah... Oh well, I guess it's only something I can hope for one day :p

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Tell you what--you can keep your neurotic, swear-obsessed children, I'll take my fun with the guys and girls who can speak in a reasonable octave without resorting to a sentence with a higher obscenity density than a terrible rap album. Cheers!
Are you sure you're even addressing the right person? Because I cannot think of any way you could have drawn the conclusion that I wanted them or was defending them in the first place.

In short, address what I say, please and thank you.
Oh? Well, how presumptuous of me. Here was me, taking your pessimistic and 'long since given up' approach as some sort of acquiescence to the neurotic trolls that are part of a very loud, noisome, aggrieving portion of online media. You'll have to forgive, I'm all but asking, but I had assumed one to take advantage of a thought that perhaps said nuisances are not the only portion, and that perhaps, for the discerning individual who has much a taste for specified company, one might come to find entire communities of reasonably-minded individuals of varying ages that feel obscenity and vulgarity to give a sort of piquancy to one's emphatic speech, but, like any chef might advise, a plate full of such culinary complements would tend to sour a meal, much as a well placed discourtesy can give pungency to a match, but a headset filled with them gives one earache and a desire to cease the activity.

In choosing such discerning conversationalists, however, in regards to the original question posed, I treat them with the civility deserving of a person electing to use their understanding of linguistic structures to further the emphasis delivered of a swear, regardless of their gender. That I sought out such people rather than sit idle and accept my fate, and would presume others might have a similarly inclined line of thinking, or that the player on the opposite end of an electron stream might have any different inclinations does not cross my mind. If they decide to declare that they are in fact of the female persuasion, of the fairer sex, of the estrogen counterpart to the testosterone in me, I give it almost no mind. I note it much as one might note a change in a colleague's hair--that it might be interesting for a moment, but quite soon is put from the mind, for other matters to take priority. Not personally knowing the vast majority of reasonable players, and in truth caring very little if they are anything short of human, let alone a member of either gender, I treat them all equally, for to assume that someone might be different has no use but self aggrandizing yourself or deprecating the person in question, neither of which being things I regularly deign to participate in, unless I'm chatting with either a particularly attractive person or dealing with an entitled, pompous prick respectively.

I do hope I've addressed what you have written. Let us not imagine that you are yet further misled by plain statements.

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
I get so sick and tired how every online game I enter where a girl reveals herself or simply uses her real name, there has to be at least a couple of guys trying to get their attention or follow them into servers, suddenly change their troll like nature to friendly with lots of smileys used etc.

But do I treat them differently? Yes, sometimes. But I would argue in a positive bias way. I put additional effort to avoid making jokes at their expense or raging at them. Its only cause I honestly believe they are more sensitive and I naturally do not want to get on peoples bad side for no reason.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
If it's a competitive game I'll sometimes hunt them down less? Usually do that to all noobs though.

If it's the usual "I'm a girl so you should go easy on me" typed in chat then I'll usually hunt them all the more for either being pathetic guys or people that need to be hunted. If it's in mic.. Most I've come across don't use mics a lot? Either way, in my experience most gals won't state they are since it's usually a very bad idea. They're either guys, trolls, both, or shouldn't be online given the usual state of the vocal minority.

They can sometimes be a bit more team orientated instead of rushing off for kills? But just as many times are complete retards who rush off for kills and die then rage at the rest of us.

'shrugs'

Same 'ol, same 'ol.

Having said that, in cs gungame there's a few instances where I've come across a female who has completely destroyed me, and I'm not exactly a slouch when it comes to.. Anything really. So in gungame I'll treat females differently by not rushing in stupidly since I will probably die very, very quickly. HS the female first, then rush in stupidly to solo the team. :D Goes for all crazy pro's though, it's just that of all the crazy pro's I know in gungame it's equal guys and gals. Creepy

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Cyberjester said:
If it's a competitive game I'll sometimes hunt them down less? Usually do that to all noobs though.

If it's the usual "I'm a girl so you should go easy on me"
Lol if they are stupid enough to type that then they deserve to be hunted down. You could swap 'girl' for anything else and people would just deliberately you kill you over and over. xD

Btw before anyone says anything my username isn't even my name I just couldn't think of anything...:<

Apr 5, 2008
Aerosteam 1908 said:
...on Halo: Reach I made my character female with white and pink armour (make fun of me if you want). I played a couple of matches in multiplayer and then joined some recent players in their open custom games.

I eventually joined a custom game with only 2 players, ...After a couple of minutes me killing them over and over again, the little kid started saying things like "Go to the kitchen where you belong", etc.

I never contacted them after that, until EXACTLY a month later, (with messages only appearing in your inbox a maximum of 30 days) the little kid, I had met 1 month earlier, sent me a friend request.

I was in a "What the f*ck?" moment, me finding out someone who made offensive comments to a (pretend) girl ...
Wait a second...to get this straight, you are confused or offended because a kid you've never met was rude to a person who doesn't exist and that you were pretending to be, on the Internet? Right, I don't think it's precisely a very fair or even reasonable test and hardly an accurate sociological or psychological study. You're not a woman, you were a pink avatar who shot their avatars.

Aerosteam 1908 said:
but unfortunately I'm to scared to do the same thing at school as I what I do online. -sigh-
Do you mean you're to scared to pretend to be a girl at school, or to talk to girls? If the latter, you'll get over it. You're a teenager, it's part of the process to be shy and awkward as you figure out who you are. If you don't or can't talk to girls at all, even as equals in class then you'll be in trouble later. You need to get over that as it's the very thing women don't want. The only circumstance where a shy, tortured man has a hope is if he's a painter, musician or poet.

Skyrux

Oct 5, 2011
I don't see a reason not to. Just because it's a girl, doesn't mean they can't be treated the same as everyone else.

tappajasieni

Jan 1, 2010
I don't play multiplayers, so I don't get any of the abuse.

I don't have gamer friends, IRL or online (don't associate with many guys and a lot of my IRL friends are "girly girls", plus I don't really write on forums) but usually when I meet a guy (in whatever context) for the first time I ask if they play games, just so that I'll have someone to talk to about how awesome game X or Y was. They've always been happy to talk about gaming with me, and always seem a bit weirded out about how much I loved ripping Helios' head off in God of War III.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
I admit I treat them differently... when referring to them i use the word 'she' as opposed to 'he'...
Seriously though, I don't play too much online, and I mostly play with people I know, who are almost exclusively guys, as basically all the girls I know don't play online games.
The only game where I've consciously been aware of girl gamers (or at least they claimed to be) was on LoL where where I treated them differently for 2 reasons:
1) I normally go on there with my old housemate, so I can get away with being rude to him, and most of the time nobody chats, but we occasionally get 2 silent others and a girl, so I'm more polite to them than my old housemate
2) Playing one night I saw a few girls playing getting rude comments from the apparently pre-pubescent guys playing, so I treated the girls differently because I didn't tell them to shut up like I did with the sexist boys

I'm like a knight in internet armour :p or just a sad little man (read as you wish), and maybe I treat the girls better because some part of my mind thinks: I could be in there? against all logic, as when I think about it, I'll likely never meet them, they may be bullshitting me anyway, and I'm also a bit of a loser, tbh

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
That depends. Are we talking about girls gamers or "GUR1 G4M3R5"? Because if it's the latter then I'll be to busy gouging my eyes out to insult them.

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
Sherlock/ said:
In IRL tabletop roleplay I've played with girls for years, with no bias either way. Aaand now I got the complaint from one of them that I "see her as one of the guys". Sometimes you just can't win.
You do realise, that if she's complaining about you seeing her as one of the guys it's because she wants you to see her as a woman, and there's only one reason a woman wants that... just a heads up. ;P

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Being a girl I found that once my gender was known, guys hit on me or be suprised that im a girl (that was funny)

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I treat girls in games the same as boys.

That is to say, another soul to be ground beneath my heel!
Basically this... If they're on my team they better pull their weight, and if they're against me then they can expect a high caliber kiss from me the same as anyone else.

My sniper scope doesn't see a difference, it's all fodder to me.