Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Exactly!

I know there's a lot of shooters and games about war and all that out there, but I never grasped why gaming should be seen as such a male province. Back when I first started playing on my Amiga, there were loads of platform games like Rainbow Islands or New Zealand Story or Zool... None of which I'd have said were "aimed at men". It was just a game. But it just seemed like girls weren't interested in it and I simply cannot wrap my head around why that should be.

My parents saw I enjoyed games, and encouraged it - my brother and I would get games as Christmas or birthday presents (remember Special Reserve?) and occasionally we'd get to go out to The Disk Box in Canterbury and maybe we'd be allowed to buy a new game. Oh, it was all different in those days. But my point is that I was never told I shouldn't be playing games because I was a girl. Thanks mum and dad. :)

Vamantha

Aug 2, 2011
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Exactly!

I know there's a lot of shooters and games about war and all that out there, but I never grasped why gaming should be seen as such a male province. Back when I first started playing on my Amiga, there were loads of platform games like Rainbow Islands or New Zealand Story or Zool... None of which I'd have said were "aimed at men". It was just a game. But it just seemed like girls weren't interested in it and I simply cannot wrap my head around why that should be.

My parents saw I enjoyed games, and encouraged it - my brother and I would get games as Christmas or birthday presents (remember Special Reserve?) and occasionally we'd get to go out to The Disk Box in Canterbury and maybe we'd be allowed to buy a new game. Oh, it was all different in those days. But my point is that I was never told I shouldn't be playing games because I was a girl. Thanks mum and dad. :)
For awhile my Mother tried to stop me from playing video games due to a therapist complaints. But no one ever told me girls can't play video games. Until much later in life that is and only from other boys who I royally fucked in video games. I was a strange little girl. I hated dolls and dress up. I liked stuffed animals and rough housing. Maybe it's just how the world treats us when we're growing up? No one ever says anything, but we're treated differently. It's an invisible wall that everyone can see but it's there so often that we forget it's there.