Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

Smurfy 0151

Apr 8, 2009
I've played with several, fairly regularly. They get the same treatment as my dudes do from me: praise when they do something good, and scolded when they screw it up. If they can play with the boys, they can take the heat with the boys.

milo2215

Jul 23, 2010
Do I yell at them when they kill me and congratulate them when the pull of a good kill when they're on my team? Yes, though I usually make jokes about the XY chromosomes vs XX chromosomes. In kind, the girls usually have a witty retort to throw back, usually in a "Freudian" sort of vein. Then I cry.

Mr.Snippets93

Sep 7, 2011
i'm baffled by the thought of many kids that you could actually score with a girl by talking to her over a video game...
i only play with a friend in a party, so mostly i don't even hear the other players. but if i did, i wouldn't treat anyone differently.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Sort of. I tend to be more judgemental of other girls because it's unlikely I'll find out they're girls unless they make it obvious, and if they are going to perpetuate the stereotype that girls only play vidya games for attention they'd better be decent players, to at least avoid reinforcing the stereotype that girls are also inherently shit.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Most of the guys I've met on xbox live have been nice admittedly it's been more playing co-op than competitive and I don't tend to talk much on the mic, but I assume everyone just assumes everyone else is a dude that way, even in wow if you play a girl character must be a dude.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I treat everyone I meet online equally i.e. I mute them instantly don't use a mic. I therefore have no idea whether or not I've played a girl on Halo or Street Fighter but if I have I've treated them equally.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't play many games with a mic so I can never tell who's what gender, so they all get treated the same.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I guess I'm usually nicer to girls online than to guys. But that's partly because there are less female players than male players and I'd like to encourage the girls who are gaming to keep on gaming so that we can keep getting rid of that social stigma. In the end though, I try to be a decent to everyone.

TheSmokingFox

Jul 12, 2011
No, I thought it was obvious why, i treat them as girl gamers, and guys as guy gamers, what actual difference does this make. I can't really say, there is one. But whatever it is it is the same as talking to chicks differently in real life. it's called 'Socializing' different peope are treated differently, not worse, but differently.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I have a few girl gamer friends I play with online but it's really irritating when other guys join in because usually it's all "OMG UR SO HAWT, LEMME BANG YOU, CAN I SEND YOU FREE STEAM GAMES AND U SHOW ME BEWBS LOLOL."

It's like: go away, we're trying to play a game together and I'm sure as hell "Friend X" doesn't want to be harassed by you.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I treat them the same. I know some in real life.

The only way I'd treat them differently is if we had more incommon, and liked the same kind of games. Still probably wouldn't be bad treating, but it may be unwanted attention.

However whenever I see a gamertag that uses the word girl, or " the geek", I will have some contempt, because I can only assume they think of themselves as special.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I don't, but then again I am one.

It is interesting though, that when my friend and I play Dead Island together and someone joins our match, they almost always assume that I'm a young boy when I talk on the mic (until my friend politely corrects them). I guess not many girls like electrifying zombies?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I have played with females online, sometimes on a teamspeak server.
I treat them how I treat other players.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
I have the same attitude towards any woman I play with/against online as I do men. They are merely another person to kill/defeat/teabag.

Seriously though, I don't treat any woman that I may run into any differently from any guys. So what if they have large brea....errr...right.

In all seriousness though. I treat them the same. Although it makes more sense if I tell you that I don't really talk to most of the people that I game with online for the very reason that was in the OP. Most people online just don't deserve to be talked to. the ones that I decide to talk to are the ones that I send friend requests to.

I will go on and say that a couple of the woman I talked to during my WoW time were a little on the weird side. Especially after I sent them a picture of myself. I was more than a litle weirded out when one of my female WoW friends wanted to marry my main (Ice/Arcane Forsaken Mage) ingame. Stopped playing game and really haven't heard from them, but its all good.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I have a couple on my friends list from L4D. One of them I try to stay teamed with, not because she's a a girl, she's badass. If I have her and my brother with me, the Zombie General can send his worst, we'll weather it, doesn't matter who the fourth player is.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I've met a few on WoW (at least they claimed to be...) but I don't treat them any differently. In my opinion if you can play the game well you deserve respect whoever you are. (I am respectful to people who play badly as well but I'm not sure how else to put it)