Poll: Beautiful Game Endings: Do They Bring You To Tears?

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Cried at the end of MGS4.

And I cried during Lost Odyssey. A lot... a whole fucking lot. Not at the end, but at Kaim's memories. Game's worth buying just for those, honestly. The Little Liar... oh god.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Shattered Memories and Silent Hill 2 had some of the most tragically bittersweet closing monologues that I've heard in a game.
Real beauty to it .

Murais said:
The Walking Dead is still to this day the only game to make me bawl like a little ***** at the end.
I think that might be it, actually. The sound. Because I was choking up at the end of Walking Dead and fighting back the tears, and then when Take Us Back came on, I fucking lost it. Dunno if it was just everything finally sinking in, or if it was just good selection, or both. Either way, any sense of manly composure was lost and I was uncontrollably sobbing on my keyboard. And it felt

Great.
"You're strong Clem."
"But, I'm little..."
Walking Dead's last few lines steamrolled my heart. I'll just admit that I'm glad I played it alone.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
Only at the end of Persona 4 did I come close to tears. Bad ending or no, that prick had to die. Got kind of a guilty shock when I watched the anime, though...

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
The only time a game has ever turned me to tears was when a save file that I had been playing for a good 30+ hours corrupted, but I guess that doesn't really count.

I'm not really an emotional sort though. I'm not a brick wall by any means, but it's generally hard to tear my heart at things in fiction. Not sure why, that's just the way it is, I suppose.
That is the one that really counts!
If I ever cried about a game it was cry of hate over something not working.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
BarbaricGoose said:
And I cried during Lost Odyssey. A lot... a whole fucking lot. Not at the end, but at Kaim's memories. Game's worth buying just for those, honestly. The Little Liar... oh god.
That was a really sad game, actually, a real melancholy tone throughout, but the actual conflict with the villain is pretty damn depressing and morally painful. Unfortunately I got distracted near endgame playing other games, and think I lost the save file so I never got to the ending. The lost memories were hard enough to get through.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Murais said:
The Walking Dead is still to this day the only game to make me bawl like a little ***** at the end. But games like Flower and Journey have come damn close just from their sheer spectacle and emotionally charged soundtracks.

I think that might be it, actually. The sound. Because I was choking up at the end of Walking Dead and fighting back the tears, and then when Take Us Back came on, I fucking lost it. Dunno if it was just everything finally sinking in, or if it was just good selection, or both. Either way, any sense of manly composure was lost and I was uncontrollably sobbing on my keyboard. And it felt

Great.
Yeah, I got through the ending, but Take Us Back just opened the floodgates. Really great choice of song.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The only game I have full on cried about after the ending was To The Moon. Though a few games like Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3, Thomas was Alone and Journey did have me a bit misty eyed after they ended.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Silent Hill 2, without a doubt.

Surprisingly, my favourite ending is the "Leave" ending. For me, that one brought real closure to James and Mary's story, and it really felt like the characters had both found a sort of redemption. The scene before the final letter, with Mary on the bed, is one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever in a videogame, and the voices brought every ounce of emotion forward better than any other game I've played. I know some people don't like the voices in SH2, but for me, they were fantastic for the characters and atmosphere of the game.

I haven't seen any other video game moment as powerful as that ending, and it was written and executed perfectly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
There have been some of those games for me, but honestly I can't remember them all at this moment.
The one that glares in my mind though is the ending for Twilight Princess because the character in that I liked. Surprisingly Wind Waker didn't though and I beat that way before Twilight Princess. Another one was Okami.
Oddly enough I'm yet to find a game ending that makes my cry. BioShock Infinite had a single manly tear shed.

I don't think anything will ever compare to the amount One Piece has done to me.

Laboon man.

Laboon.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I have never cried due to any video game.

That being said, the ending to Telltale Games' The Walking Dead did make me feel like shit.

Holy hell, that was sad.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The ending to Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective makes me cry happy tears...

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations has a heart punch of a sad ending, came pretty damn close with that one.

Chrono Trigger's Balloons and To Good Friends endings always make me well up... a big part of that is "To Far Away Times", just listening to that almost brings tears to my eyes.

Final Fantasy 6 was the "original" tearful ending for me, SO MANY FEELS!

Suikoden 5's Ending... especially the Non-108 Stars Ending... holy weeptastic...

Shadow Hearts 2 "Good Ending" is pretty damn tear jerking...

I'd also be lying if I said FFX's ending didn't make me cry, because it did.

Django03

Jul 26, 2008
I've had some games like Journey, Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Walking Dead bring me close and stir some powerful emotions, but not actually cry. That was until I played To The Moon, that game straight up made me weep at the end. Hell, even listening to the final song on the soundtrack and thinking about the end of that game made me cry for a while after playing that game. It made all the claims I read on game websites about how games had finally become emotional with TWD or Bioshock Infinite etc seem ridiculous. Seriously, if you haven't played it do so soon. It's amazing.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Not really. Video game writers really aren't even remotely good enough at their jobs to bring a lot of emotion to the writing. Legit emotion anyway. More often than not, it is such a blatant tug at my emotions that it just annoys me because they are trying to manipulate me into feeling a particular thing, instead of it happening naturally.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Never. Not so much as a sniff. But not because I claim I'm overly manly, they just haven't really gotten to me.

I mean, I've wanted to have one of those experiences where a game's plot, characters, or story makes me shed at least a single tear, but it's never happened.

I played To the Moon, and sure, it was pretty sad and stuff, but I was never near crying.

Played The Walking Dead, and at the end the only thing I could think about was how much bullshit it was that I went through all of that crap only for Lee to become a zombie anyway, which wasn't surprising, considering how grimdark the story was to most of the characters.

Actually, most of my experiences with games that people claim make them weep as though they have looked upon the glory of heaven have mostly just been, "Well...that's pretty sad."

Woe is me who has a heart made of the blackest tar, frozen in ice and trapped within a block of stone.

Clive Howlitzer said:
Not really. Video game writers really aren't even remotely good enough at their jobs to bring a lot of emotion to the writing. Legit emotion anyway. More often than not, it is such a blatant tug at my emotions that it just annoys me because they are trying to manipulate me into feeling a particular thing, instead of it happening naturally.
That's...actually it right there.

I can't just have an emotional response dragged out of me like that, unless it's one of rage. If you want your characters to make me cry, I need to grow to love them over hours of gameplay and story that makes me feel as though they are my bestest friend...which so far has never truly happened.

Hira

Oct 17, 2010
The ending to any Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. Especially the last one.

*SPOILER ALERT*
I was expecting an ending that would make me respond the same way the previous two games had, and was actually slightly disappointed when it didn't. Then you get a recorded message from your team, and them insisting they would remember you even though the laws of time and space would make them forget just set me off.
*END SPOILERS*

Also, no, I indeed do not know how to use the spoiler warnings.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Only one person's said MGS4...

Seriously, that game had a ton of bullshit it didn't need, but that ending was the perfect way to round out the series. I played the entire series back to back, so I didn't get the playing on release experience but I still grew attached to the characters.

I love the after-credits talk that's not a twist, but Snake and his best friend talking about how they're going to live their life now the madness is over, knowing full well that Snake will die in a few months. Also...

... this is good, isn't it?