Poll: Best Fighting Game This Generation?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
I just picked up a PS3 a few months back, and one of the first things I did was purchase a copy of Soul Calibur IV--I was a huge fan of the series' first two entries--for $14.99.

Initially, I was disappointed. The graphics were nice, but hardly exceptional (and II was a good-looking game, for its time), some of the moves seem to have been needlessly altered in terms of their execution, and there seemed to hardly be more content than in II (I owned an Xbox, so never played III).

But then, I played online. Wow--it's a lot of fun. Lag occasionally enters the picture, but using "quick match" allows you to spend more time playing than squandering time in a succession of online menus, the leveling system seems generous yet effective, and the character creator is quite useful given the game's PSN functionality. Basically, I've found some success using Talim to circle my opponents while mashing square.

But anyway: what fighting game do you guys think is the best this generation? I'm thinking that--when I'm done with SCIV--I'll pick up another fighter for the PS3 to play online, so kudos as well to whoever can offer suggestions about what type of game a casual fan of fighters might enjoy.

Oh, and a little bit about me: I like playing Tekken casually, dabble in SF but find the combos cumbersome, probably couldn't comprehend Virtua Fighter, and enjoy Super Smash Bros.

P.S. Is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe any good at all? The premise seems intriguing, though I know the reviews were lukewarm. . .

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I think Continuum Shift might be more relevant than CT, being more recent, though I haven't played it. The death of the easy input system makes me sad (beginner mode is NOT the same), but I'll still get the PC port once it's out.

At the risk of sounding like a rabid fan, I consider the best to be Touhou Hisoutensoku. Innovative, heavily ranged combat, an interesting super, fairly welcoming game (inputs, at least, are really rather simple), and the entire deck system. That last bit lets you customize super moves/your moveset in general, and throw in some non-character-specific support stuff, etc.

The weather system is interesting and well-implemented too. I just wish it had an off switch, at times.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I don't expect to be with many, but for me it has to be Dead or Alive 4, I have played it way too much and got good mileage out of the tag team with a friend. I think it was the fighting game I have put most effort into, which means I have had more back from it.

I recently got Marvel Vs Capcom 3 but I can't really get into the swing of it, instead I use the same four characters (Akuma, Wesker, Chris and sometimes Ryu) to get my success. I am not terrible at it, but I'm not compelled to learn new characters or moves. (I've complete it on normal, just saying as it makes it clear that I'm getting sick of MvC 3 for another reason than I can't play it).

ShasoRmyr

Apr 12, 2010
Blaz Blue for me. It's appears to be the fairest of the fighting games I've played recently, at least with how my friends play. I also love how each character plays differently for the most part. Also it's just the game me and my friends keep coming back to. I will admit that it's not easy (A singly fight online could kill your enthusiasm for the game if you're new to it.), but I like that a veteran isn't going to get owned by a noob most of the time.

Big Bruce

Mar 18, 2011
I tossed in a vote for MvC3, I refuse to play it online until they fix the matchmaking and all the other problems with it. Still a great game for some fierce face-2-face competition.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
At first I enjoyed SC4, but then the cheap shots started appearing and the game was ruined for me. In my opinion, the bonus star wars characters really unbalanced the game.

The only other fighter I really have enjoyed so far is BlazBlue. I have always been a fan of the Guilty Gear games, so it was natural for me to anticipate this release. And I was not disappointed. The characters are diverse and interesting enough to warrant desiring to try them all out, several times. And the on-line has felt solid enough to me, though I must admit I don't enjoy playing on-line so don't spend much time on there at all.

Now all my fighter-loving friends are really into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and are desperately trying to talk me into getting it also. But I'm not a huge fan of the genre and not a huge fan of paying over $30 for a game, so I've held off getting it. Yet. But as much as they all seem to love that game, and as much as I do love Marvel (and Darkstalkers), I have a feeling I will be getting it soon enough. Damn you peer pressure!

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
Super Smash bro. I'm not a fan of most fighting games and this is the only series i've really enjoyed, partly cos I punch the nintendo characters I dislike but more so becuase it gives a freedom of movement that I like in any game, most other fighting games are to 'static' for me and hence why i'm not a big fan of most of the genre.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Arcana Heart 2.

Well...they're up to 3 now, but I haven't been able to play it, yet, so I can't comment.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
It would have to be Blazblue for me as I do love Guilty Gear and this being a "spiritual successor" and all makes it a natural fit. I found it struck the perfect balance between casual and hard core with it's gameplay and depth. Each character is unique in their own way making sure the game doesn't suffer from clone syndrome, the balance is alright and only gets better with each iteration, and the controls are tight and responsive with a good execution window for combos and such.

And lets not forget how down right pretty it looks if you're a fan of sprites. THe entire presentation of the game is excellent with some of the best music, vibrant visuals, and just nice and imaginative designs.

The game also has one of the best feature sets with a good verity of game modes and a GOOD tutorial built into the game that makes it easier for new comers. Also has a robust and very functional multiplayer to boot. It's just overall one of the best bangs for your buck out of most other fighters.

And of course my inner fanboy has to speak out for this, but Dissidia Duodecim is up there with Blazblue for pretty much all the ame reasons.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Marvel Versus Capcom 3 is winning? REALLY? The game might be fun and flashy, but it's also one of the most unbalanced fighting games of this generation. I guess people just like things that are new. *sigh*

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Wait for the new Mortal Kombat to be released! The demo is amazing and i love everything i've seen so far!!

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Virtua Fighter is boss, even though it hasn't gotten console ports for so long that it is now two full expansions behind arcade.

2D fighters have never really clicked with me other than aesthetically, but I'm intending to get Arcana Heart 3 when the localized version is out for 360 and see if something can be done about that.

Sep 14, 2009
well the "best" one would be the ones i have had the most fun playing, and the most time i have played on them.

so it would be super smash by far, that game is so much fun, hell im going to go play it again later probably.

next up would probably be mvc3, as its alot of fun and real fluid

the new mortal kombat has me really intrigued though..so might have to add that to the list. all the other titles i have never really cared for, they all seem too constricting..

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
For pure fun, I'm going with Brawl.

Even though it pissed me the hell off with the requirements for unlocking characters. I'm not a fan of Subspace Emissary.

Marvel vs capcom 3 is all right. It doesn't teach you the game well (like techniques that aren't in the manual and no help with timing in training mode).

colonialmarine

Feb 3, 2011
hmm well im a big fighting game fan and out of the 1`s i own or have tried i find the demo for the new Mortal Kombat to bet the most fun. Its not the deepest game but i think with a few mates over once the full game is released we`ll have a hoot.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Brawl, if I had to choose.
But Mortal Kombat is looking to be better than all of these.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
EzraPound said:
P.S. Is Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe any good at all? The premise seems intriguing, though I know the reviews were lukewarm. . .
It was... decent. I have played it a few times at a friends house and enjoyed it, but it's definitely not a master piece. From what I understand its cheap as shit now though, so if you're interested and have the money to spare you might as well check it out.

Anyway, after having spent a fair amount of time with Marvel vs Capcom 3 I have to admit that it really didn't keep my attention for as long as I thought it would. I'm kind of bored with it already and I haven't even really played that much. This Gen I would say that the BlazBlue franchise definitely takes the cake.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Marvel vs capcom 3 is all right. It doesn't teach you the game well (like techniques that aren't in the manual and no help with timing in training mode).
Many techniques that aren't in the manful but in the game were tricks players came up with that Capcom did not intend to put in the game such as reset combos and kara throws so it's kinda hard to blame Capcom for not including them in the tutorial.

Also the game does a great job telling you with the timing of the moves. Say for example you had a combo

Light, Medium, Fierce, Fireball

You go to do the combo and this happens

Light, Medium, Fierce (opponent blocks) Fireball.

The opponent blocking the fireball shows that you did the input correctly but you did it too slow. If this happens...

Light, Medium, Fierce, No fireball

Then that means one of two things: A you did the fireball motion too soon or B you did the motion incorrectly. In training mode there's an option that actually shows you in detail the inputs you're making. Which is perfect when determining if your timing or your execution was off.