Poll: "Best" Mass Effect 3 ending (spoilers)

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I put "Best" in quotes because I know most people hated the ending.

Anyway what was your favorite. I chose the synthesis option and I thought it was pretty cool because it was driving life forward, and was venturing into the unknown. It also demands sacrifice from the protagonist. On the downside it makes absolutely no sense. However if it were real life I would have chosen control as it seems like the safest option. Destruction seems like a dumb choice, even if shepherd gets to live it seems really cold and pointless. Plus if you choose control shepherd is immortalized and gets to control them forever.

Which was your favorite?

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I like the destruction(shepardliving) option. It tells me that even the war with the reapers couldn't kill Shepard, and I find that awesome.

Synthesis would be my very close #2. Shepard chooses to sacrifice himself in order to ensure the reapers are never needed again.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I chose Control.
Obviously, the ending still sucked so I will just tell you what should have happened with this ending. In my opinion of course.

You get to control the Reapers so you can just tell them to stop killing shit. Maybe you can even use them to help rebuild and naturally protect the galaxy against whatever else is out there.
The Mass Relays stay intact since you just take over control. That way nobody dies from starvation in the Sol system
Shepard is dead, becomes a legendary hero.

I don't want to force people into becoming synthetics or whatever nor did I want to destroy the Geth and other synthetics after I went through all that trouble to negotiate a peace between the Geth and Quarians.

Still it did feel weird to go "Hey, I'm going to control the Reapers!" after telling the Illusive Man how stupid that was throughout the entire game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd have to say Destruction is my preference beyond the fact that it's the only one that Shepard can survive.

Synthesis: that seems like what the Reapers WANT you to do. A fusion of synthetic and organic life.....isn't that what the Reapers and all their troops are? I'd prefer my full-fledged organic body, thanks.

Control: Fuck TIM, I can't let him be right.

Destroy: This has been your objective from game 1. Shepard isn't in an epic quest to control the Reapers like TIM, nor is he trying to synthesize with them the way Saren desired. No, you must stay the course: your objective is the utter destruction of the Reapers, no compromises. It is the only sensible choice. Assuming the Catalyst was not lying and the Geth and EDI are wiped out with the Destroy option, well that blows...but at least there's no more damn Reapers, and as I said: that's the entire point of the series.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
The lack of a Marauder Shields option kills this poll.
:p I can just picture Marauder Shields sitting with Saren and Human Reaper in Villain Hell...

Marauder Shields: You know what's REALLY funny? I actually had a higher chance of killing Shepard than either of you losers...
*Saren and Human Reaper grumble incoherently...and I think one of them muttered something antisemitic >.>*

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Destruction should have been Paragon.

Ironically, it does not work the way it says it does, the Starchild lied. My friend had EDI at the end and it didn't kill her. As far as I'm concerned, the Geth lived.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Synthesis: that seems like what the Reapers WANT you to do. A fusion of synthetic and organic life.....isn't that what the Reapers and all their troops are? I'd prefer my full-fledged organic body, thanks.
Notably, Synthesis (or something very similar to it) is also the end goal that Saren hoped to achieve.

Also, you're essentially creating a race of Adam Jensens. They never asked for that.

Anywho...

I went with Destruction. My goal since Mass Effect 1 was to defeat the Reapers. My goal wasn't to forcibly merge everyone with their toaster ovens like Saren wanted, nor was my goal to control the Reapers like the Illusive Man wanted. My goal was to wipe them out. Destroy them.

Mission Accomplished.

Captcha: save yourself

Damnit, Captcha! I thought you had my back!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I fucking set out to kill these bastards and by God I did it. I just had a bunch of War Assets by chance.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
The best ending is turning the game off and pretending it ends like the Sopranos.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Destruction should have been Paragon.

Ironically, it does not work the way it says it does, the Starchild lied. My friend had EDI at the end and it didn't kill her. As far as I'm concerned, the Geth lived.
I think that Indoctrination Theory is correct, and Bioware has been trolling the internet about it... they said they wanted it to be in there, but they couldn't figure out how to make New mechanics work to pull it off: so they worked with what they already had to pull it off.

You can't question the Star Child because you're indoctrinated and not able to question it. All you can do is see through its lies, and trust Captain Anderson.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Of the 7(ish) different endings, my favorite is actually the "worst" one. The Destroy option that ends up completely destroying Earth.

If the Normandy and stargazer scenes were absent on that ending, I would have no-qualifiers liked it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This ending:

It had no space magic, and the Normandy didn't randomly fly off to get stranded on an unknown planet.

All it had was Shepard multiplying into infinity.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Seeing as I believe in the Indoctrination Theory, I say Destroy where Shepard lives (there's also the whole thing of that's what you were aiming to do for three games). Then again, I find all the endings stupid, so I hate all of them.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Reapers get butt raped. Shepard lives. Big medal ceremony like in Star Wars. Cut to drinking a few cold ones with Garrus. End of Story. Thanks for playing.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Let's see here...

Synthesis: You're irreversibly changing all life in the Galaxy at its most base level against their will, and getting rid of the diversity that has been lauded previously as its greatest strength.

Control: You are enslaving a sentient race against their will (even if they are your enemy), and making the unilateral decision to bestow upon yourself the kind of power no one being should ever possess.

Destroy: You are sacrificing all synthetic/partly synthetic life (that's a lot of people) to destroy the Reapers, and gambling the future of the entire Galaxy on your belief that future generation won't make the same mistakes you did.

Destroy (with Shepard surviving): Same as above, only you also get to wake up grievously injured and completely alone.

this is without even considering the problems all the endings share (i.e. how they work not being explained, and what their consequences will be not being explained properly or even shown etc.)

Well I'll give credit where it's due, the ending choices were at least well balanced. I just wish it had been a difficult moral dilemma for all the right reasons, rather than all the options being equally terrible.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
soren7550 said:
Seeing as I believe in the Indoctrination Theory, I say Destroy where Shepard lives (there's also the whole thing of that's what you were aiming to do for three games). Then again, I find all the endings stupid, so I hate all of them.
destruction (first time)

at first I was like "oh shit! Ive killed joker" but after reading up on indoctrination theory I may have chosen the closest thing to right

yeah screw the reaper starchild....

also I have a question...provided you do certaintain things "right" you see a shot of shepard gasping for breath....is this possible for all endings or just destruction?