Poll: Best Zombie game ever, no matter the genre?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Despite Zombie oversaturation in Games, you can't deny some gems have come from the genre? So I just felt like making poll of what you guys think is the best Zombie game ever despite the genre it covers and my list of games include 5 of imo the biggest ones yet:

Resident Evil games that have zombies, especially prior to Resident Evil 4.
Call of Duty Zombies.
Left 4 Dead
DayZ
Dead Rising

And whatever else you suggest.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel without a Pulse.

Case closed. 50s Visions of Tomorrow world, with a Zombie in a suit eating Grease extras, raygun holding jetpack men, and hillbillies with chainsaws.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
When it comes to zombie games, they are usually in two categories; Horror and action.

Both types of zombie game genre had its fair share of good and bad games, but I will both for a zombie game that started the whole thing;

Resident Evil.

Almost all of resident evil games prior to 4 are atmospheric, and with lots of jumpscares.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I voted for Dead Rising, specifically, Dead Rising 3 (I?ve not played the latest.) I just enjoyed the relaxed restrictions from the previous iterations. They focused less on crippling time constraints and just allowed you to have mindless fun killing hordes of mindless zombies which is all zombies are really good for, imho; the idea of zombies is ridiculous and I feel it?s best served on an equally ridiculous platter, e.g.: I recall running through the streets in a banana hammock and a top hat using the cobbled-together equivalent of Contra?s Spread Gun to build up a +1,100 kill combo. THAT was fun.

Honorable mention to Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide. Despite it [apparently] not living up to its infamously misleading trailer, I really enjoyed it, especially the co-op and Borderlands-esque weapon system. A buddy and myself 100% both of them over the course of a week, and the killin? and collectin? never seemed to get old.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Typing of the Dead and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.
The only two zombie games I've ever played really.

TotD is a classic, though the genre itself has gone out of style.
Very educational and good for learning English while having fun.

Cataclysm DDA is an ASCII (tiles available) open source survival horror rogue-like.
The world has experienced a cataclysmic event and turned many creatures into unspeakable things.
The first of those creatures you are likely to meet is a zombie, though not just a regular kind of zombie, but several realistic and different takes on the zombie theme. Including feeling shame and guilt while having to off a kid.
Then butcher it, to prevent it to rise again. You can also cook the tainted meet if you are a cannibal or starving enough to suffer through food poisoning and vomiting. Their bones make good needles or armor or kilns or bone meal.
Their fat can be rendered into tainted tallow to make candles... ..
Remember to wash their filthy clothes before using them, or risk infection and disease!
There are a lot of possible ways to play the game (and survive?) already implemented, but modding makes the options a whole lot juicier!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Give a try to Organ Trail. It's a spoof of Oregon Trail, but instead of being about 19th-century pioneers, it's about surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Nothing beats the left 4 dead games. Not only some of the best zombie games but hands down the best co op design I've ever experienced

ReMake would be under that.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Errr, Resident Evil Remake is obviously the answer. How is this even a question? ;)

Oct 22, 2011
I don't care what anyone says. First season of TTs TWD belongs on that list.

I voted for L4D though. Because just picking "Resident Evil" is like picking "a sandwich".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
State of decay and/or (telltale's) walking dead. That is legitimate, cold, hard, objective, scientific evidence-based facts collected and studied by the expertiest professionals leading the academic research in their highly respected areas of critical game sciences

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Dunno if the original Dead Space counts as a Zombie game or not.

If yes, then that.

If not, Dead Rising. (which takes the genre in the exact opposite direction)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
Errr, Resident Evil Remake is obviously the answer. How is this even a question? ;)
Cuz there's a question mark at the end of it. =D

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
MrCalavera said:
I don't care what anyone says. First season of TTs TWD belongs on that list.
Beat me to it. Albeit, I haven't played many zombie games, but surely that one is up there.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
The game I probably had the most fun with was the DayZ mod in 2011-2012. It truly was a phenomenon and a great social experiment, I have so many stories about memorable experiences, even if they seem insignificant to others, it was amazing. A shame it turned out like it did.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
A shame it turned out like it did.
Can you elaborate on that one? I don't play it myself because I hate it (swedish fuckers took muh shoeses and left me to bleed), but what went bad about it later?

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
jademunky said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
A shame it turned out like it did.
Can you elaborate on that one? I don't play it myself because I hate it (swedish fuckers took muh shoeses and left me to bleed), but what went bad about it later?
Well, the game had to go somewhere and somewhere it went, somewhere bad. I bought the DayZ Standalone on steam as soon as it became available in 2013 but it ultimately left me very disappointed, it was barely any different from the mod, I actually think it almost had more bugs/glitches. They even removed zombies from the game for a long time because of how broken they were, not to mention that the game ran like absolute crap for like 3-4 years, now it only runs a little crappy. Oh and the guy who made the mod (Rocket) and the standalone left the development team ~2 years after launch.

It's been over 4 years and it's still in alpha, it's barely any different from launch and they rarely release any updates for it but they have the BALLS to announce the game for consoles. It really seems like they just took advantage of the DayZ hype and then ran with the money, now when the PC market is tapped they're going for consoles next.

/Rant

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Well, the game had to go somewhere and somewhere it went, somewhere bad. I bought the DayZ Standalone on steam as soon as it became available in 2013 but it ultimately left me very disappointed, it was barely any different from the mod, I actually think it almost had more bugs/glitches. They even removed zombies from the game for a long time because of how broken they were, not to mention that the game ran like absolute crap for like 3-4 years, now it only runs a little crappy. Oh and the guy who made the mod (Rocket) and the standalone left the development team ~2 years after launch.

It's been over 4 years and it's still in alpha, it's barely any different from launch and they rarely release any updates for it but they have the BALLS to announce the game for consoles. It really seems like they just took advantage of the DayZ hype and then ran with the money, now when the PC market is tapped they're going for consoles next.

/Rant
I see, I had no idea that it was still in alpha or that it was mostly unchanged from what it was years ago.

Yeah that does seem lazy.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
It's definitely RE for me, but I grew up playing those. Dead Rising was great but just too frustrating with its shitty save system and time constraints, it put me off playing the later iterations where I guess they may have fixed that?

Left 4 Dead (and even Killing Floor) are some of my favorite games ever, but I just think the L4D zombies are too fast to even consider it a zombie game as such. It's certainly one of the best coop games out there and the formula works so damn well, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the list of a zombie genre, more like a horde game if anything.