Poll: Best Zombie game ever, no matter the genre?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Death Road to Canada. It's a fun action roguelike, focused on short runs. You need to make the trip through zombie infested USA to the safety of Canada. It's pretty fun to play, and absolutely hilarious!
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Typing of the Dead
No wait, this! Can't beat massacring the zombie hordes with keyboards and fantastic Engrish.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
jademunky said:
Dunno if the original Dead Space counts as a Zombie game or not.

If yes, then that.

If not, Dead Rising. (which takes the genre in the exact opposite direction)
Actually, although they're called necromorphs and not zombies, they share quite a few similarities, instead of "shoot them in the head" you see "cut off their limbs" scrawled in blood on the walls. They also don't move that quickly in general, except for the certain mutations, which is just what Resident Evil has been doing. And there are certain forms which infect each other, although it's more of a possession than an infection, I dunno never really quite understood how the Marker worked.

But yeah, DS (DS1, at least) certainly plays more like a zombie game survival horror than a lot of zombie games.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I never expected to see all these obscure Zombie games here at all.
Am I out of touch?

You guys are into these early access indie games and I still prefer to stay in my AAA corner because I just think most indie games as inferior by going backwards.

Why is a game like Death Road to Canada superior to Dead Rising? How is it not seen as backwards? If you want to play Retro Games, play actual retro games, games that have better sprite artwork than these "sprite" based indie games try to emulate (and fails)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
-snipped Yoda-
Am I out of touch?

You guys are into these early access indie games and I still prefer to stay in my AAA corner because I just think most indie games as inferior by going backwards.

Why is a game like Death Road to Canada superior to Dead Rising? How is it not seen as backwards? If you want to play Retro Games, play actual retro games, games that have better sprite artwork than these "sprite" based indie games try to emulate (and fails)
Wouldn't that depend on whether you judge a game solely by its graphics, or by its gameplay, mechanics and options/possibilities/modding?

Some people are very sick of the generic mold of AAA with their lowest common denominator play-style and emphasis on flashy/realistic graphics only out to make a buck.
Don't care much for all the extras embedded with AAA games either. Like microtransactions and what have you.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Conker's Bad Fur Day- because they only show up for like 2 levels, then it goes back to being a real game

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Am I out of touch?

To be fair Stubbs was released on Xbox and PS2 back in the day. Its basically Retro.
And it was AMAZING!!!
It had fun gameplay, and a great soundtrack. Shame the Steam release was bugged and the devs said they would never repair it.
there are ways to...edit the game so it works. but don't tell anyone

Squilookle said:
Conker's Bad Fur Day- because they only show up for like 2 levels, then it goes back to being a real game
I love you. Conker's Bad Fur Day is my favorite game of all time!

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Silentpony said:
Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel without a Pulse.

Case closed. 50s Visions of Tomorrow world, with a Zombie in a suit eating Grease extras, raygun holding jetpack men, and hillbillies with chainsaws.
Fuck. Yes.

Also DayZ is NOT a zombie game, its a PVP ArmA mod with perpetually drunk soccer hooligans trying to kill you.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I had to go with other. Frankly the House of the Dead Overkill typing game is better than any of the other listed games. Of those listed Resident Evil would be the best. Zombies are only a challenge if (like in the early RE games) it is an actual survival/horror atmosphere and ammo is scarce. Without challenge zombie "games" are just "can you click on this/are you awake?" simulators. In more recent years (and in retro) the best zombie games were subversions/parody (like the great Stubbs the Zombie) or choice/adventure games like Telltale's The Walking Dead. Shooters with zombies are frankly boring.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Ender910 said:
7 Days to Die. Although Left 4 Dead and Dead Island definitely deserve an honorable mention.
Seconded, 7. It's been a lot of fun for me and a few friends for a couple of years now- not the greatest game, but certainly entertaining.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
State of Decay is perhaps my true favorite zombie game out of the many out there, but from your list, I chose Dead Rising. Love the tone, love the time limit, love the variety, just a whole lot to love.

aliciacastro75485

Feb 8, 2018
Use several hours of your spare time to acquire extra $1000 on your paypal account each week... Get more details on following site>>>

.......... http://Help80.com

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ZombieProof said:
Nothing beats the left 4 dead games. Not only some of the best zombie games but hands down the best co op design I've ever experienced
Pretty much where I'm at on this. The Left 4 Dead series is just brilliant all-around, and has possibly one of my favorite zombie mythos. It's (vaguely) plausible[footnote]Special infected aside... <.<[/footnote], features a zombie 'plague' that's actually menacing[footnote]And not of the idiotic 'don't let them bite you!' kind, as seen in things like TWD.[/footnote], and does what most other zombie tales don't do. Most go full tilt into either dark, atmospheric horror, or camp-ridden action-comedy. L4D tends find a beautiful balance of both.

Plus, it's got Coach. A true god among men.

ReMake would be under that.
Agreed, though I would put the first two Dead Space games at about the same level.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
Silentpony said:

Case closed. 50s Visions of Tomorrow world, with a Zombie in a suit eating Grease extras, raygun holding jetpack men, and hillbillies with chainsaws.
Boom

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Silentpony said:

I second this, Stubbs was a gem of a game, shame no one really played it at the time it came out. The ability to turn everyone into a walking brainless zombie was actually ahead of its time.A sound track of the tunes re-mixed from 1950's songs you had something special.

Sad we may never see Stubbs again.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
Am I out of touch?

Why are you picking on my game but quoting Pony?

Because I don't want to play a retro game? I want to play Death Road to Canada, I think it looks good and it simply couldn't have been made on a retro console. It's just not possible to render that many zombos on a snes or render lighting in that way. I'm not saying it's the best looking pixel art game out there, but it's style works for me and the game is about more than just the art anyway.

It's just a different style. Pixel art isn't even about being 'retro'. I don't need every game I play to have 'realistic' gritty graphics, I like variety.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Am I out of touch?

Your top 5 had DayZ and CoD in it. You're definitely out of touch.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
Can we count Doom? Any Doom? Cause Doom has zombies.

If not, They Are Billions. An RTS twist on the, quest honestly, boring as fuck zombie cacophony of shit we've been getting for the past, what, 4-6 years? It's actually fun, not a survival horror game trying to rip off resident evil, like everything else, or a minecraft clone, like every-fucking-game. It's extremely refreshing, and considering it's in Early Access is quite surprising that it's as good as it is. I can only see the quality of this game go up as more and more is added to vary the gameplay and missions.