Poll: Big Hero 6 sequel: Do we need/want one?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So I just watched Big Hero 6, and I really enjoyed it, like pretty much everyone else who watched it. Like all good things, I want more of it. But I've been thinking about how they could possibly make a sequel, like what it's theme would be and all that. Would they be able to capture the magic of the original movie?

So what do you think, would a Big Hero 6 sequel be awesome, or another case of franchise miking?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I can't be sure if you are some sort of survey bot, but in the hope that you aren't I'll go along.

Why would there not be a sequel? The movie ended with the idea they got a new super hero team built up from it all, essentially Big Hero 6(2014) was their pilot. I have no doubt that what comes next will not be the same ordeal of death and despair, but I would like to see more none the less.
Would prefer them try out an anime style however, their manga inspired artwork looked much more fitting to the theme.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Smooth Operator said:
Well I can't be sure if you are some sort of survey bot, but in the hope that you aren't I'll go along.

Why would there not be a sequel? The movie ended with the idea they got a new super hero team built up from it all, essentially Big Hero 6(2014) was their pilot. I have no doubt that what comes next will not be the same ordeal of death and despair, but I would like to see more none the less.
Would prefer them try out an anime style however, their manga inspired artwork looked much more fitting to the theme.
Actually, I kinda just discovered how to add polls and since more often than not we ask questions as the main topics of threads, I thought more polls=better. Also it seems easier to get feedback in a poll than reading posts, let's be honest we only read like the first 10 posts whenever we make a thread.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Big Hero 6 was an origin story. Fred even said as much in one scene. Whether or not we want or need one, I'd imagine we're going to be getting one. And that's just fine with me. I loved the movie, and there's still a ton that they can work with. They have a solid foundation with some interesting characters, most of whom were pushed aside in the first film, and with an interesting setting.

That said, part of what made the first movie great was that it took a rather standard (and tired) story (superhero origin), knew that it was working with a story many were tiring of, and used that self-awareness to have fun with the idea. It also helps that it tried to be more than just about the hero himself but actually tried to relate to those in a similar situation (i.e. those who have lost a loved one recently). And all the clear attempts at getting the geeks in the audience to self-insert themselves was a nice touch.

So, in the end, if they can expand on the foundation of the first film, both narratively and thematically, I'll definitely be happy with any sequel they come up with.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
i think disney will try to turn this into a tv series if anything, the episodic potential is huge in the movies universe

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
As others have said, it was a pilot movie of all things. Like a kids version of the Avengers. They spent a lot of that movie developing the characters and setting only to let it slide?

I don't think so.

Then again... where's The Incredibles 2?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Abomination said:
I know, right? We got a Cars sequel and a seemingly unending series of spinoffs on Disney Junior. Maybe it didn't sell enough toys?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
I think it's plausible to get a Big Hero 6 sequel, and have it work well.. Honestly it's an open ended action adventure. They could add and play around with the teen characters of the Marvel Universe that wouldn't fit into any other group..

Personally, I'd love to see "Big Hero 6 meet Brute Force" in the sequel.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
I loved Big Hero 6, but I am totally satisfied with its ending (its open ended, but not a cliffhanger). I wouldn't want to see them just saving people all the time without some kind of drama, and I'm terrified that they would regress the characters like a lot of sequels do and find a way to give Hiro back his bloodlust just to learn its wrong again. I feel like a lot of sequels either miss the point of the first movie or try to just repeat the first movie and in doing so undermine it. If it comes out, I will probably see it, but I'm more than happy to have it stay as just one movie. Also, I think they'd make BayMax into a caricature. Hes funny and sweet and a great character, but I'm worried they'd see what people liked about him and overdo it in the sequel.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Pyrian said:
Abomination said:
I know, right? We got a Cars sequel and a seemingly unending series of spinoffs on Disney Junior. Maybe it didn't sell enough toys?
You guys realize that The Incredibles is getting a sequel right?

http://pixar.wikia.com/Category:Upcoming

OP: I really enjoyed the film and would love to see more of the cast and the setting. See where things would go. However I hope that they do a bit better with the ending than the first 'cause BH6's ending kinda undermined the whole moral of the story:

moving on after the death of a loved one.

By which I mean, the baddies daughter still alive and marshmallow man being "resurrected". If she had actually died then it would show two of the possible outcomes that a person can follow after his/her loss. But with the daughter still being alive, it shows that not only was mr mcBadderson wrong in wanting revenge, but also that there was no revenge to be had and that he should have tried to save her rather than avenge her. Same with Baymax, his loss through his sacrifice should have been the proof that Hero is now capable of moving forward rather than dwelling in the past but the fact that Hero can reboot him goes to show that it wasn't such a noble sacrifice and that Baymay never was dead anyway.

I guess what I mean is that the end softens the blow way too much for it to have any impact

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Subbies said:

I thought so but I was thinking on the whole time between The Incredibles and how long it took them to announce a sequel. When are we going to see one for Big Hero 6? Is it in the works? One would hope so otherwise they're missing the perfect setting for a sequel.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Do we want one? Yeah probably. It was a decent film.

Do we need one? Nah. It's fine as a stand-alone film and the ending was pretty solid.

So I'm fine either way. :D

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It was an alright film, nothing brilliant. Having said that, people saying it's a "pilot" film would make my opinion of it less harsh and somewhat more justified than I originally thought.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
It will have a sequel definitely, considering its success and how marvel does things.

I definitely don't want one as I didn't enjoy it much at all. The 'twist' with the villain abandoned logic in favor for attempting to fool the audience, just like frozen. I felt the script was weak, the action scenes unoriginal and dull and the world building virtually non-existant even though it raises so many questions of when america and japan decided to make a city. Or if its some kind of Japanese Chinatown, if that makes sense.

It's not terrible but I don't really want a sequel.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Abomination said:
Subbies said:

I thought so but I was thinking on the whole time between The Incredibles and how long it took them to announce a sequel. When are we going to see one for Big Hero 6? Is it in the works? One would hope so otherwise they're missing the perfect setting for a sequel.
We can't really compare them since they're two different studios (albeit both owned by Disney). However wasn't The Incredibles released at a time where Pixar said they didn't do sequels (appart from the Toy Story ones obviously). Perhaps that's what made them take so much time on it.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I want one definitely. There will undoubtedly be one. But do we need one? Maybe. Nothing really precludes it happening, but I think BH6 works nicely as a standalone film.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Subbies said:

By which I mean, the baddies daughter still alive and marshmallow man being "resurrected". If she had actually died then it would show two of the possible outcomes that a person can follow after his/her loss. But with the daughter still being alive, it shows that not only was mr mcBadderson wrong in wanting revenge, but also that there was no revenge to be had and that he should have tried to save her rather than avenge her. Same with Baymax, his loss through his sacrifice should have been the proof that Hero is now capable of moving forward rather than dwelling in the past but the fact that Hero can reboot him goes to show that it wasn't such a noble sacrifice and that Baymay never was dead anyway.

I guess what I mean is that the end softens the blow way too much for it to have any impact
I respectfully disagree on this point. Hiro did let Baymax go. That's why he told him he was satisfied with his care. He also didn't know that Baymax had given him the personality chip, which is symbolic in and of itself. Baymax is a robot. He got his "mind" from the personality chips. The one that Hiro's brother used became a symbol to Hiro of his brother. Something to remember him by. Baymax was that as well. He was upset at the thought of losing Baymax because Baymax was the last remnant of his brother. But with the chip, his brother lived on.

The girl never truly died. Bad guy's being distraught isn't reasonable because of the other moral (I saw, anyway) that revenge doesn't solve anything. It won't bring someone back, something both Hiro and bad guy have to suffer with.

The movie was great. I hope it does get a sequel because it was really cool, and I came as close as ever to actually crying out of sheer joy. It was a glorious movie to see and I loved it and... Yeah.

Also who else thought the bad guy was gonna be the snobby businessman and not the professor?

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
meepop said:
Subbies said:

I respectfully disagree on this point. Hiro did let Baymax go. That's why he told him he was satisfied with his care. He also didn't know that Baymax had given him the personality chip, which is symbolic in and of itself. Baymax is a robot. He got his "mind" from the personality chips. The one that Hiro's brother used became a symbol to Hiro of his brother. Something to remember him by. Baymax was that as well. He was upset at the thought of losing Baymax because Baymax was the last remnant of his brother. But with the chip, his brother lived on.

The girl never truly died. Bad guy's being distraught isn't reasonable because of the other moral (I saw, anyway) that revenge doesn't solve anything. It won't bring someone back, something both Hiro and bad guy have to suffer with.

The movie was great. I hope it does get a sequel because it was really cool, and I came as close as ever to actually crying out of sheer joy. It was a glorious movie to see and I loved it and... Yeah.

Also who else thought the bad guy was gonna be the snobby businessman and not the professor?
Maybe it's because Disney has been trying to put a twist in their movies lately, or that it was just obvious, but I assumed it was the professor right away. As soon as the professor was telling Hiro that the business guy was bad, I thought right away "naw, the professor is the bad guy".

I will say it was a bit nice that the business person was not the bad guy. Movies these days seem to make the business people totally bad all the time. He wasn't a great person by any stretch, but with how things were shown, he seemed to have regrets, and even showed that he turned a new leaf during the credits, making a park in honor of Hiro's brother.

I liked the movie, and I'm on the fence. Most of the time with sequels, I usually wait and see before saying for sure. A sequel can bring new things that I wouldn't have thought of. Big Hero 6 did wrap up the story, but there can easily be more added. I would need to know what they would be going for before I could really say.