Poll: Bioware's best franchise

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. WHich of Bioware's video game franchises is the best. Please give as reason as to why you made the choice that you did.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I went for Mass Effect because I've never played Dragon Age, am not a Baldur's gate fan and find it hard to call KotoR their best franchise when the best game in that series wasn't made by Bioware.

There are lots of things wrong with the Mass Effect franchise, there isn't a game in that series without gaping chasms in terms of flaws and both the ring conversation mechanic and the relationship mechanic need to die right now or be seriously overhauled.

But it also shows off the absolute brilliant best of Bioware, a whole new creative universe, interesting species, fun little side characters new landscapes. It brings about a sense of wonder that can let you forget the awful AI and sidequests because darn it, everything in these games are why speculative fiction is so good

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Best Bioware franchise- more like best franchise save Fallout, I'd say.
Mass Effect though. Haven't played Dragon's Age but from the gameplay I've seen it looks a little too generic fantasy, and I'm not a huge fantasy fan.
I am on the other hand a huge Mass Effect fan. The third game is probably my second favourite game, and the writing, soundtrack and characters amongst other things are without rival in my opinion.
Let's put it like this- I've never replayed any game other than Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well you missed out Jade Empire and I am not sure if you can call Star Wars KOTOR a Bioware Franchise game yes but franchise no and Baldurs gate and neverwinter nights are questionable seeing as its Dungeons and Dragons, Bioware just made a game and the story for the setting.

My favourite franchise was probably Jade Empire although its not my favourite game of theirs which would be KOTOR mainly because I liked the infusion of chinese mythology and imagery in that game and felt that they could have expanded that a lot shame the game was mediocre.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I'd definitely have to go with Mass Effect.

I've not played the third game yet, but the first and second were both definite contenders for my Game of the Year of their respective release years. The gameplay was fun, the story was engaging and I found both the universe and most of the characters interesting. Bioware may definitely have a clear formula [http://politetimesplitter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/bioware-cliche-chart.png] that they like to stick to with their games, but it's one that they've proven they can do well, so I don't really have a problem with that.

Knights of the Old Republic has to be a close second though. For a long time, it was definitely my favourite RPG, with great characters and atmosphere, and a turning point that remains one of my favourite videogame twists of all time.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well, I've only played Mass Effect and half the Baldur's Gate series. That's where my Bioware experience begins and ends. While I'd like to say Baldur's Gate is the better (the first game was pretty damn awesome), I'm having a very hard time enjoying the second game, coming off the as-of-yet superior first game. Where as I enjoyed all three Mass Effect's rather eagerly. So I guess I'd have to say Mass Effect based on that?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Baldur's Gate, simply by merit of Baldur's Gate 2 being amazing.

Not really sure Neverwinter Nights counts as a Bioware 'franchise', same with Kotor since Bioware only made one game in each of those series.

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
I voted for Dragon Age, while I enjoyed Mass Effect in many ways, I enjoyed the mechanics in DA more -- I also havn't had the joy of going through Baldur's Gate as the EE doesn't like Intel.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I may have gotten into it in December 2012, but Mass Effect genuinely surprised me with how awesome it was.
The characters, the setting, the voice acting (OH GOD THE VOICE ACTING)... the list goes on and on.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well, I voted for KOTOR, I would have voted for Dragon Age, because Origins is my favourite Bioware game, but, you know, Dragon age 2 exists. Plus, Biowares KOTOR led to KOTOR 2: Sith Lords, which (when modded up with the restored content mod), I think is better than KOTOR 1, snazztastic.

Also, I know there's only one game, but Jade Empire kinda deserved a spot on the poll, it was quite cool.

MDK 2 is also a pretty cool game

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
Mass Effect really is the apex of their creations (even if it failed to deliver a satisfactory payoff!)
The universe of ME is just so rich and detailed, but more than that is how appealing it is.
Having played all the Bioware IPs, I think ME comes out on top by a good margin. The D&D games never truly felt like it was all Bioware; there is already such a rich history present, it was like walking into someone else's story. Same for KOTOR, though it does deliver on so many levels. I kind of see it as the spiritual predecessor to ME. Dragon Age was very captivating, but the gameplay of the first one let me down slightly, and the second one failed to delivery any consistency with the universe and characters that the first had established.
My close second would actually be Jade Empire, loved that game!

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, I'd also say Mass Effect, because Dragon Age 2 exists AND because NWN, Baldur's Gate and KoToR aren't *their* franchises. They are based on D&D and Star Wars respectively. While Mass Effect has huge issues it's still their best.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Mass Effect. While I like their other IPs (Why no Jade Empire on the poll?) Mass Effect is definitely my favourite of them all. Love that series

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I wanted to put Dragon Age, and I would of if not for Dragon Age 2. Dragon age 2 is a dark stain in gaming history folks. I'd even go so far as to say it is a blight....

Also, Baldur's gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Star Wars aren't really biowares. Plus you forgot Jade Empire.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I find the lack of votes for Dragon Age...disturbing.

So yeah, definitely Dragon Age. It's second game might have been rocky but it wasn't the full on wall smashing retard run that was Mass Effect 3.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I went for Mass Effect. I think Origins is better than any of the ME games but they have been more consistent in quality across the franchise.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Devoneaux said:
The number of people who do not know the horrible truth of Mass Effect (They're all pretty crap in terms of story on a mechanical level) hurts my head...Dragon Age!
Well I'm an ME voter and I'm well aware of how bad the story/gameplay/level design is across all the games, so it doesn't necessarily follow. Even with all that Mass Effect is pretty much the most ambitious and fleshed out sci-fi thing for a very long time.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I have to say Mass Effect, the characters are endearing enough that you become attached to them (unless they're kaiden, kaiden can kiss a nuke.) On top of that it has great combat, classes that actually feel varied and its got mega replayability.