Poll: Blind, Deaf, or Dead?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
With all the votes for deadness I imagine this must be a pretty depressing thread for blind people, good thing they can't see the poll.

I also voted dead as I couldn't live without sight and hearing.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Strangely enough ive often wondered what it would be like to be blind, interesting experience. I realize that's probably a horrible thing to say when Blind people don't have a choice in the matter, but i still wonder.

Ive never wondered about being deaf, i think id feel too lost, trapped, and the fact that i couldn't listen to music would be unbearable.

Death is an interesting mystery but since im going to find out eventually anyway, i think id rather explore the world from a different (although more limited) angle.

Blind, definitley.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Deaf. Hearing is useful to have for all the things I enjoy doing, but vision is mandatory.

And if I find it sucks too hard later on, I can always suck down 9mm of hot lead.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Any of those really suck, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably choose being deaf. You can be deaf and still at least see everyone. Even if I could hear them, I think I'd freak out if I couldn't see. At least if I was deaf, I wouldn't feel alone and could at least still enjoy films and tv and video games.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I go for blindness. I already wear glasses and am used to be half-blind, and even without eyes I "see" far too much. I need to hear what people say, here their voices shiver of fear or humming with joy. without that, the world would be a dead place for me.

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
I work for Community Services for the Deaf. No, really.

Deafness ain't that bad, and I already know a smattering of American Sign Language anyway. Deaf people can drive, fly, work just about any job they want, etc, etc. There's a bunch of discrimination but then again the members of the "status quo normal" group have never liked people who aren't white and male and able-bodied. I'd prefer keeping the privileges that come with being a hearing person, but losing hearing is not nearly as truly impairing as blindness, and certainly less impairing than deadness.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
So much melodrama, so little time.

People lose their senses all the time and they carry on living without screaming how death is so preferable, then slashing their in the general area of their wrists with a razor and feathering their hair.

Oh me, oh my, my life would just be SOOOO over if I couldn't listen to music, without that there is nothing left to live for, wah.

Seriously, I wouldn't want either, but I would rather carry on living.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I'd prefer deaf then... At least I can enjoy games for the fun factor and me and others can communicate with the hand-sign language thing, but I will miss hearing deeply. But still, beats being blind or dead IMHO. I couldn't handle being blind because of the darkness... just the thought scares me. And I dunno about death, want to see more of this mortal coil first!

BJK55123

Dec 10, 2009
I would prefer to be blind because I much more enjoy entertaining people with music than playing videogames or whatever other things there are to do with sight.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I dont see how I could cope without being able to see, sure I wouldn't be able to hear anything but at least I can watch subtitles and read lips. No more music which would be bummer, but since such a vast majority of infomation reaches the brain though the eyes, its an easy choice for me.
Plus dont they have a cure for deafness in the pipeline?

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Blind for me. I just like listening to things far too much. I'd miss my gaming and such. but I'd still be able to listen to people, since I love those good old fashioned conversations.

And in terms of cures, it hardly matters. Deafness is close, but blindness is also a near future fix for us at this rate.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Wouldn't choose death and would go insane in a silent world. And sure, with blindness I wouldn't be able to play video games or draw/animate/design shit like I love to do but I'd cope.

Any one of you seen "Blind Fury"? I'd be that guy.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
When I see the "blind" option, I immediately think of being a Demon Hunter from WC III.
But in real life, I would just have a stick, poking at things and dating fugly chicks that would never get a date otherwise.
I would also succumb to being fat since I wouldn't know what body shape I am.
I would also be inable to play games, which have been a major part of my life. Change would be very difficult.

Other than that, I could be deaf. Sure, you will never get the joy of hearing laughter and interesting conversations.
All you can communicate with would be with your fingers.
I could still play games, but games without music/sfx sounds sucks big DICK!

Death might be a possible solution in those quarries... Yeah let's go with that.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I'd go with deaf. I could at least still write, and by extention tro- er, I mean post on forums. :)

brighteye

Feb 5, 2009
easy question, you cannot play games as blind or dead. ( oh, makin sweet love to girls is much harder without sight or life also.)

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
xD Why, why, why are -so- many people picking death over the other two options? Maybe I just have a different perspective on it, but, having gone to a college for those with various disabilities, mental and physical, and encountering quite a few hearing and sight impaired people, I have to question such a dubious choice. If you met some of those people you'd be inspired, and understand that death is the stupid option, and a little insulting when you think about it.

Not to mention that, if you -did- lose either your hearing and sight later in life, it is -not- the end of the world. Not that it wouldn't be a hardship, but jeez.

I chose deafness by the by, I'm a graphic/training in web-designer by trade, and a gamer to boot, so..sight would be a little inconveniencing for me. Although, there are videogames for the blind too you know, some are pretty damn good.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I'm a digital artist. Damn, I'm also a singer. Damn, I'm a gamer....

Art and Gaming win, singing can happen even if I'm deaf.

Deaf it is :)