Poll: Bloodstained Art

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
My mother recently attended a family reunion that she's only tangentially part of, so she didn't know most of the people. While walking around and visiting, she happened upon a third cousin's daughter (or something), an artist who was proudly showing off her work.

They were brides, tastefully shot nude women, male models, improv photo shoots... all filled to the brim with blood spatter, pus, and other fluids that quite frankly should be left in the body they came from.

My mother, obviously, was absolutely stunned and horrified.

When she came home, she told us about it, and I thought it was bizarre and disgusting. Then something odd happened. I went on Facebook, and one of my friends had posted a photo of herself with a slashed-out eye, stitches separating the normal half of her face from a skinned meat other half, and blood utterly covering her clothes and upper body. She's quite pretty, but this did her NO favors at all, and I actually leaped out of my chair.

There was a watermark in the corner, so I checked the website. There, more blood, pus, bodily fluids and such splattered everywhere, along with horrifying photoshops of pretty girls and a couple handsome guys with morphed demon mouths, devil horns, green clawed hands, etc, many in a state of cannibalizing.

My question: Why the hell would attractive people AGREE to shooting this crap!? Is it ATTRACTIVE?!

I considered Googling some images, but I'm afraid I'd be successful. I'm also not telling you the website, I don't want it to get traffic.

EDIT:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3074871735_a42d34c0e6.jpg

http://yurijz.exteen.com/images/Blood%2020.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiYYDOe5734uzwwibWxIcMG6-bgrkWf5siqTnyPEms1vGdnLYs&t=1

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/3486106535_6fd894f43f.jpg

I'm taking a risk by posting these, seeing how I'm on probation.

There's much worse, but quite frankly I'd rather not search for it.

EDIT2: For further clarification, I am not dismissing it or declaring it a non-art. I'm just wondering how many people would track it down to look at, and why.

EDIT3: (Man, I need to clarify my posts better...) For even further clarification, I understand that emotional response means the art was effective by most definitions. I played Silent Hill 3, and Amnesia. I'm not particularly new to this type of imagery.

The difference is that SH3 and Amnesia didn't try to post themselves as attractive. Quite the opposite, they made it very clear that they wished to make you curl into a ball and cry (the abortion/birth/cannibalism scene in SH3, the Iron Maiden in Amnesia, etc). According to the girl my Mom talked to, she clearly thought these photos were beautiful, even worthy of the catwalks in a pageant. The choice of attractive people, the posing, and the choice of setting and colors (sans gore) makes me think the same of the stuff I've seen on the internet. And it's THAT concept I have such a negative reaction to. Negative enough that I had a small freakout and asked if I'm insane for thinking it's right and has an audience that genuinely is attracted to this sort of thing.

So no, I'm not trying to belittle people who love this sort of thing. I'm trying to come to terms with something that I feel has assaulted my senses. That's why I'm calming down as the thread progresses.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Are you sure this actually happened? Sounds like some kind of weird cheese-nightmare.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
It doesn't have to be pretty. Not all art is about beauty. In fact, exploiting the macabre and destroying the once beautiful can be very powerful in evoking emotion (see: the OP).

I voted pancakes since the OP doesn't seem to understand that being grossed out was that point.

EDIT: Also, I want to see the site. Or at least a pic or two so I know what you're talking about.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Brutal, but as long as no one is getting hurt by it, I really don't care. And to answer your question, some people are just into morbid type of things. It also doesn't have to be attractive, maybe they just think it's a really cool and interesting subject.

Edit: Seen the pics and not that bothered by them. I think they're kinda interesting to be honest. Seen worse things in movies anyway.

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
I personally find that tasteless. I'd still be ok with it if they kept it to themselves, but that is not the case often.

Can't these people realize that other people find it offensive/disgusting/etc? If you like that kind of stuff, go nuts. But for Pete's sake don't go around shoving it into people's faces! Consider other peoples' opinions and tastes. And don't tell me "I didn't think they'd find it offensive or disgusting", because that's a flat-out lie. There's a reason we have censorship, ratings, etc. I am quite squeamish when it comes to extremely detailed graphic depictions of this stuff, and I would be outraged if someone forced me to see something like that, with their only defense being "It's art! Freedom of expression!"

/end rant (before I start sounding like a high-society grandmother)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zekksta said:
Hook us the website imo. I want to see what it looks like, otherwise I can't really say with certainty whether I find it attractive now can I?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3074871735_a42d34c0e6.jpg

http://yurijz.exteen.com/images/Blood%2020.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiYYDOe5734uzwwibWxIcMG6-bgrkWf5siqTnyPEms1vGdnLYs&t=1

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/3486106535_6fd894f43f.jpg

These are pretty tame, really, but I'd rather not go find the nasty stuff. If you're mordbidly interested, Google it yourself.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
We can't make an informed opinion if you don't show us the art. I wouldn't even know what to google. Regardless I voted that blood is okay but not the other fluids.

edit: Thanks for the pics
The first two are really hot. I think they were improved by the blood. The 3rd one looks like what you'd see in a movie on the sci-fi channel. The last one looks like something that I'll be seeing in a nightmare.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
We can't make an informed opinion if you don't show us the art. I wouldn't even know what to google. Regardless I voted that blood is okay but not the other fluids.
summerof2010 said:
EDIT: Also, I want to see the site. Or at least a pic or two so I know what you're talking about.
mireko said:
Are you sure this actually happened? Sounds like some kind of weird cheese-nightmare.
Because you guys asked...

I'm not giving the website, but I put some examples in the OP.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
I think you're asking a question that's entirely separate from the intention of the artist. I can tell just from reading the description that the artist's intention was never to make these people appear more attractive, and in fact appears to be actively trying to achieve the opposite.

Does it makes them attractive? No.
Does it achieve what the artist intends it to do? If the artist's desire was for the imagery to shock, to disgust, or to cause concern, then hell yes!

Even then, my own statement is subjective. There are some who would say this it makes them more attractive. Not necessarily in an aesthetic sense, but in a personal one. It could represent something as simple as human weakness; the fragility of ours bodies, and in this knowledge, yes, I can honestly say that more than a few people would be struck with a sense of beauty.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
For the lack of will to think better about it - people tend to say "Art is supposed to make you feel; I'd say those paintings/photographs succeeded". That may very well apply here.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Seriously?

First pic, she's still good looking. The rest are comical.

From all your complaining, I thought it was something bad.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blair Bennett said:
I think you're asking a question that's entirely separate from the intention of the artist. I can tell just from reading the description that the artist's intention was never to make these people appear more attractive, and in fact appears to be actively trying to achieve the opposite.

Does it makes them attractive? No.
Does it achieve what the artist intends it to do? If the artist's desire was for the imagery to shock, to disgust, or to cause concern, then hell yes!

Even then, my own statement is subjective. There are some who would say this it makes them more attractive. Not necessarily in an aesthetic sense, but in a personal one. It could represent something as simple as human weakness; the fragility of ours bodies, and in this knowledge, yes, I can honestly say that more than a few people would be struck with a sense of beauty.
I don't know about the website, but the girl at the family reunion sure seemed to think her models looked better afterwards...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Seriously?

First pic, she's still good looking. The rest are comical.

From all your complaining, I thought it was something bad.
There's much much worse, but I'd frankly rather not look it up.