Poll: Can a game ever make you say "This game should not exist"?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
My lord. Four pages of discussions and nobody brought up all the garbage Unity Asset flips sold as "games" on Steam these days? You know, the ton of "games" sold using pre-made assets without the "developer" changing a single thing, therefore making NOTHING, and just ripping off people with a "game" they didn't really work on to make a quick buck? THOSE "games" are the ones that shouldn't exist. This goes to the people that say "all games should exist", too. Because these are not real games, and most certainly shouldn't exist.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
VladG said:
A very emphatic Yes!

Oh, I don't mean stuff like Hatred (which is really not that offensive to begin with. I've done much more horrible things in games than Hatred ever manages. Hell, there are far worse scenes in GTA V than Hatred can manage) or even stuff that can be genuinely offensive (like RapeLay. Title says it all). You can create any game, as depraved, sick or other such relative terms as you like, and I would't care. They are pixels, it's not real, and just because a subject is unpleasant, doesn't mean it mustn't be approached.

What I'm thinking of are asset flip games. "Devs" have started buying unity asset packs and selling them as games basically unmodified. There are at least 3 "games" on steam that I know of that all use the exact, same, unmodified asset pack (unitZ). They are literally just re-selling the asset pack.

It was bad enough when "devs" stitched up a bunch of free assets together with no cohesion and dumped it on steam. Simply selling the asset pack raw and unmodified (hell, one even takes the screenshots from unity store and used them as steam screenshots. Fucker couldn't even be bothered to take his own damn screenshots) is just next-level shameless.

THOSE games should not exist.
Yeah, I can certainly understand this point of view. I've always made a very clear distinction between criticizing a game for artistic reasons you don't like (ie "why is the protagonist a white male?", "Why is that female character so sexy?", "Why didn't you make this character black/female/gay/etc?") and criticizing a game for real-world business practices. I will never agree with the former, but the latter I can understand more, even if I still won't agree with it in every case.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few games that would make me say they shouldn't exist (not many, but a few).

Whether that would move me to actually support measures to stop them is another question. Probably not. Too dangerous a territory.

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
Perpetual Early Access titles.

If a game is plainly bad, not fun, or even offensive, I don't really mind. At least they had a goal in mind and they're willing to put their work in the public eye for us to judge. That takes courage, and I can respect that. But those guys and their "you can't judge us, we're on an eternal alpha, give us your money for promises, oh and by the way, we just changed the whole thing now, whoops more alpha time. And money!" Yes, I'm looking at you Rust. You suck.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm...

Well there are some games which should be qualitative better. Or not abandoned before completion. Or not made to empty childrens pockets with veiled micro-payments. (Seriously one can buy a one-time bulk of in-game currency for Plants & Zombies 2 for 199 Dollars?)

But no game should "not exist" because of thematic or content. I am in the "games are art" camp. Entertainment and art can not be restricted. Give me the most brutal, filthiest, rapiest, murderey?? or psychotic games with the weirdest and most psychedelic premises.

Just don't make them shit...

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
Even games that spread and glorify ideas that are harmful to society deserve to exist. Being for free speech means being for free speech exactly for the things you despise.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Games that were released unfinished or broken, Godus comes to mind.

Yes people I'm going to mention it in every thread that is relevant to it I'm not going to apologize either.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I believe that all games have a right to exist, but by that same merit they all have the right to be mocked if they are bad or ill-conceived. Games should be judged on their merit alone, and by the merits of the game they should either be embraced or shunned based on a person's individual opinion. Due to this fact, you will have people who think certain games should never be made, but i do not believe it is anyone else's place to tell the artist what they should or should not create, even if I personal find it offensive, sickening, or dumb. In that same vain however, the consumer is also in the right to mock, ridicule, or rebel against what they see.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Wishfully thinking; Yes I would love to see the abolition of all moba's and mobile platform games, and those milking dlc games like hearthstone forever

Reality; not really they should die out on their own naturally with time, just don't expect me to support those terrible games.

P.S hope I made some fanboy wail

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Not really.
You can dislike a game, but someone else out there will probably like it. It should exist for them.
Even something like ET doesn't deserve to be removed from existence. Especially now in the days of digital downloads.

The reasons for people wanting a game not to exist I'm going to assume is A: Its bad, or B: Its offensive.
Option A is normally subjective, and I think most of us can agree that being bad is no reason for it not to exist. Just look at envirobear or whatever its called.
Option B has the rather simple solution I like to call "Get over it". The only reason I even heard of Hatred is because all the annoying people that can't be satisfied in a world they don't control kept bitching about it.
People that think games, or anything really, that simply presents a view they don't hold shouldn't exist are more annoying than people that ***** at the train station to move down the rows so they can hop in when people are packed in like sardines. Which is to say very annoying.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Shitty movie tie in games. I don't understand why movie studios commission them and why do publishers make them. Hell even the Dev team should know they don't have enough time.