Poll: Can periods create a false sense of attraction?

Confusedduck

Oct 10, 2016
Hey, so I know this might come across as an odd sort of question, and I'm new here so this might not be the correct place to post this- so if it isn't, sorry about that. So lately I've been wondering about something that happened when I was on my period- you see, usually I identify as a lesbian, but there was this one time where I felt this attraction to a male celebrity, which certainly struck me off guard because this usually doesn't happen. I remember thinking "Oh, so this is what other girls/gay/bi men must feel when they see a guy". But it's got me thinking, since there is naturally a lot of weight down there during that time, is it possible that it could create a false sense of attraction? I find myself not attracted to this celebrity when I'm off my period, and so far it's only happened once so I find this all a bit odd. Sexuality is weird if you ask me. :/

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Sounds like a good question for a doctor or someone more qualified and not the internet. That's my suggestion at least. Who knows, maybe someone has experienced this as well

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
There've been times when I've internally thought 'damn, that is a handsome dude.' Course there would be no no way I'd go for it regardless of any confluence of events leading to it.

I think it happens to everyone and no one really wants to acknowledge it. Just some evolutionary holdovers misfiring, nothing to worry about.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Can't say that ever happened to me when I had periods, but if I remember correctly, testosterone levels tend to be highest around the period, so perhaps that affects your experience with attraction. I don't think that necessarily makes the attraction "false," but definitely conditional. (For me, it seems like no amount of testosterone pumped into me gives me any sex drive or attraction to others, so experiences with hormonal fluctuations is a YMMV situation.)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I have no experience with periods but I do remember that there is a shit storm of hormones that get produced in that time frame, so depending on how things swing from day to day that is probably your answer. Attraction is after all mostly hormones, when people get horny they will get all kinds of crushes that quickly go away after...

Although not many swing to another gender when horny, remember that while you might logically identify as something your subconscious does it's own thing. We can't actually control who we are attracted to, we can ignore it but never control it.

Confusedduck

Oct 10, 2016
Smooth Operator said:
I have no experience with periods but I do remember that there is a shit storm of hormones that get produced in that time frame, so depending on how things swing from day to day that is probably your answer. Attraction is after all mostly hormones, when people get horny they will get all kinds of crushes that quickly go away after...

Although not many swing to another gender when horny, remember that while you might logically identify as something your subconscious does it's own thing. We can't actually control who we are attracted to, we can ignore it but never control it.
I am all too aware that we can't control our attractions. Trust me, I've learnt that with time. I used to try and "turn" myself straight, but of course that didn't work for obvious reasons. Feeling attracted to men isn't a common occurrence for me, so I found it odd when I did and someone said that it might be because of the weight down there at that time. Being female it can be hard to tell whether you're attracted to something or not, I've had times where I've thought that I've found men attractive, but I actually just needed to pee. :D

I've no idea what goes on in my subconscious, and judging by my weird (and not related to this thread) dreams probably some weird things. The thing is, I don't really feel attracted to men outside of my periods so it seems odd to me. I guess I'm like a Kinsey 5 in terms of attraction, but I usually just tell people I'm gay because I feel like that's closer to the truth. I have so few exceptions that it seems pointless getting guys' hopes up.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Hormone cycles are powerful things and a lot of people experience periods of relative hypersexuality around their periods, but the actual specifics of sexual orientation are mostly a cerebral affair. Just as it's not uncommon for exclusively straight people to crush on members of the same sex, it's also not uncommon for exclusively gay people to do the same with those of the opposite sex. It's possible that being on your period made you more receptive to those kinds of feelings, but it could also just be a coincidence and maybe your subconscious just happened to want to play around in a safe place at that time. The important thing is that it is a safe place and is not distressing or upsetting to you, which it doesn't seem to be.

The kinsey scale was very popular (and useful) a while back when people were just starting to grapple with the idea of sexual orientation as more than just binary, but it's also incredibly crude. There are so many things which can motivate us to be attracted to someone, some of which are gendered and others of which can be exhibited by people of any gender or none. It's possible that when you feel you're attracted to certain men that what really attracts you is the way in which they exhibit more typical female features or personalities, for example. Again, there's no need to overthink it though, unless it's something that causes you distress or which feels unwanted.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Shit Ive seen effemiate guys I found a little attractive. But thinking somebody looks good and being capable of giving me a boner are two different things. Besides when its just images of a person and you dont have them in front of you its probably a bit different.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I think what's happening is...and forgive me if I sound rude or blunt; I'm really not trying to be but I don't know how people might take it so...you just wanna get it on and have...something inside...you. Women do tend to be a bit more horny during periods because that's your body telling you that it's time to try and have a baby! So you better get right on it!

Now, I am no expert!! But I've noticed that, regardless of sexual orientation, as people have mentioned, your subconscious is weird. Your body is a female and, as a primal instinct,your body would be satisfied, or less horny if you will, when you find relief. And while other methods and solutions are out there, your body instinctively just wants the D. It doesn't mean that's who you are, just like people can't help but lust after others regardless whether they're single or married or whatever. Its a primal instinct! It's about what you want and what makes you happy.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone. I hope all of this made some sort of sense.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Sounds like a good question for a doctor or someone more qualified and not the internet. That's my suggestion at least. Who knows, maybe someone has experienced this as well
Unfortunately research into human sexuality is kind of lacking.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Dismal purple said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I made my post in October .3. But you are right

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Dismal purple said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I made my post in October .3. But you are right
Damn. I didn't realize this forum was so slow.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I've been told that's the case. A friend of mine has to avoid their phone around periods, because her standards plummet around her time, and every guy gets swiped right.