Poll: Can sonic ever make a comeback??

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Naturally there will be those who say no for various reasons, but I tend to disagree with them. Especially on the terms of "the 2d ones were the only good ones". Heavily disagree, Sonic Adventure was fantastic and SA2 was the prime of my dreamcast collection alongside Jet Set Radio. Sadly since then they truly have flopped- but it is NOT down to a lack of material to work with or potential. It's down to the Sega developers being sloppy.

Honestly, if you gave something with a sound basic concept and broad room for story and gameplay growth (given the uncertain backstory to just about everything Sonic related) to a team who gave a damn about the product, we could see a real turnaround.

The bottom line of Sonic's future success: Stop with the tacky add-ons! No guns, no swords, Sonic doesn't turn into a bear, Sonic does not work best in an RPG. Take the best bits of SA2 (namely the sonic/shadow levels and general boss fights), top that off with supporting cast gameplay similar to SA1 (no treasure hunting or robot walkers) and give it a coherant story.
I mean seriously, who followed or cared about the plot of Sonic 2006?

asunder 82

Oct 15, 2009
Hi guys, I'm new to these forums but I've been following Yahtzee with much fondness.

Right, so, Sonic then. Well as Streetfighter proved that 2d games can still have mainstream appeal Sonic can still claw back some integrity.

The problem is that for all of the much maligned Sonic games in the post Dreamcast years they still seem to do respectable business, so the money men at Sega seem completely unaware of any problem.

For Sonic, and any franchise for that matter to be successful they, the people in charge of steering the ship need to understand the core mechanics of what made the game compelling in the first place. Go to Yuji Naka and ask his advice and see where he thinks the series should go, or maybe go to a few forums and listen to the people bothered enough about these things to write forum threads about them.

What I myself can see is that we all want Sonic, in 2d, going balls to the wall through colourful, rollercoaster levels full of interesting traps and facing inspired robotic incarnations of old egg head. No crap sidekicks, no 3d or rpg elements and no misconceived gimmicky shooty, psi energy, were hoffing bull crap.

Get back to basics and show us you still got the magic. If all else fails ape Sonic Rush, before it started on the 'adventure' elements for it's sequel. Better still just release the first rush, in HD on XBLA and PSN and lets all be done with the whole money whoring charade.

Thanks

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
If it returns to its roots, and I mean truly return, not take from, truly return to its roots it may have a chance of survival.

Otherwise it looks quite grim...

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
Has everyone just up and forgotten Sonic Chronicles?

As a huge fan of the first four games for the Sega Genesis (though I guess Sonic & Knickers Knuckles technically stretches the number to 7 games; if you've seen the cartridge you know what I'm talking about), and having even somewhat liked the Sonic Adventures games for the Dreamcast (those silly little Chao ^-^), it despairs me to watch my favorite series go to Hell in a flaming handbasket. However, my faith was mildly restored when Bioware announced that they were making Sonic the Hedgehog into... an RPG??

Okay, admittedly, I was somewhat confused as to how a blue hedgehog who's emphasis is on running really fast and collecting rings could be placed into a game focused upon strategy, points distribution and turn-based fighting. Thankfully, it seems Bioware sits on the same caliber as Jesus Christ, because the game is actually fairly good. Not complex or adult-themed (thank God, because He knows we get enough of that from furry freaks on deviantArt), but for kids, its way better than what most other companies have come up with. Hell, I'm 21 and I still had a blast with it. Frankly, if they do another, I might jump on it a bit sooner. It has its issues, but SC has been the best Sonic game since the second Adventures game.

But yeah, if they made another Sonic Adventure game w/o all the extra characters (which nobody I've ever known has used), and shy away from Nintendo again (hedgehogs and plumbers should NEVER be on the same page, unless they're brutally slaughtering each other), then it could, just might, happen. Of course, good luck getting Sega to agree -_-

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
If they cut down the characters, maybe to sonic, shadow, knuckles tails and eggman, maybe a few cameos from of the more liked characters e.g. espio or Chaos.

A sonic adventure 3 would be great as Adventure 1 and 2 were the best sonic games IMO

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The thing is....anything CAN make a comeback, if it does it will be because the sonic team hired people instead of inbred monkeys and once they do I will welcome sonic, but based on the past this will never ever ever happen

Cobra_X_Commander

Oct 15, 2009
Sonic is long dead. There pretty much giving CPR to a dead rotting corpse that just came out of The Pet Cemetary. The Sonic we all knew and loved died long ago and will never come back like he used to be. We can always hope but just look at everything SEGA has done for him recently and that hope will die as fast as he used to be able to move.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
the sonic franchise is over, but the consumers refuse to let him die. His games have become progressively worse ever since he switched to 3D, not just in terms of gameplay, but the stories, and the voice "acting" and the soundtrack are all utter crap.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guys at Sonic Team were TRYING to end the franchise.

"Let's see how many shitty Sonic Games we can make before people stop buying them."

But i don't blame the programmers who make the games. I blame the pillocks who buy them. Mummy's buying a colourful E-rated game for their ugly children in order to appease them into submission long enough to get some alone time with the mailman.

It goes back to what I've always said. If you keep buying shitty games, companies will continue to MAKE shitty games

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Not really. Even if Team Sonic did finally make a good modern day Sonic game for once, the scepticism will still seep out of the fanbase and will then lead to nitpicking of the highest calibre.

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
Can Sonic make a comeback: yes

Will Sonic make a comeback: no

Reason for prediction: Sonic Team still lives

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Actually, they should make an Eggman game, where you play as dr. Eggman and have to build and organize your Eggman Empire and defeat Sonic. It should definitly include the Eggmobile as a vehicle.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
He might be able to come back, the daytime levels were pretty fun in Sonic Unleashed. The main problem Sonic has is that Sonic Team keeps trying to shoehorn in some weird gimmick ("werehogs", talking swords, guns). They need to make a Sonic game about Sonic running through some world (NOT EARTH), saving animals, and defeating Dr. Robotnik.
Remember to make the jumps and spin dash actually hurt enemies and are useful.