Poll: Can sonic ever make a comeback??

OwenWalker

Oct 6, 2009
All it takes is someone to blow the faint ember of Sonic the Hedgehog to set off the blaze that is Sega's most successful franchise again.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes, he can make a come back, he nearly did with Sonic Unleashed, if it wasn't for the shitty God of War rip off night levels the game would have been amazing. Now you have to work your way through the crap night levels and beat the game so you can enjoy the day levels, which are truly awesome.

If they listen to the fans and do a 2D game (which they FINALLY are doing) it can be great if they just work it like the Genesis/Mega Drive classics.

Konami is apparently hearing all of these nagging SEGA fans because they're making a new 2D Rocket Knight Adventure game which is looking like it could be great with more time.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Brutal truth time. Sonic doesn't need to make a comeback as his games are still popular with kids. There will be no return to the "glory days" as Sonic games were always a bit shit.
Sonic doesn't seem all that popular among kids. Halo, and CoD is a lot more popular. Though parents tug Sonic Unleashed out of the bargain bin because they think its a game their kids will like.

It's always nice to play a good game. And the added benefit of seeing something as smeared as Sonic managing to pull itself out of the gutter would be great. Unlikely to happen, but still great.

And it is 'possible' for Sonic to make a comeback. It wouldn't be very hard to create a good Sonic game. The problem lies with Sonic Team, and well... Their idiots, lets just leave it at that. So, maybe if Sonic was handed to another company, someone who knows what their doing, and listen to the fans, then I'm sure a good Sonic game could be made. But I just don't see that happening, and won't get my hopes up.

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
fudgebo said:
its only natural that running from left to right got boring, at the end of the day thats all sonic does...run,quite boring when you think about it.
Well, nowdays yes, but before Sonic Adventure the levels were HUGE and free to EXPLORE but nowdays it`s just about SPEED!!1111

Snotnarok said:
If they listen to the fans and do a 2D game (which they FINALLY are doing) it can be great if they just work it like the Genesis/Mega Drive classics.
Just doing it 2D will not solve anything.
Listen to the fans...yeah right, I guess you mean the ones who think that "in the glory days" Sonic was just about running..

Wrong, Sonic was about plattforming and exploration! Don`t believe me?

http://sonicstadium.org/articles/the-crossfire-level-design

http://nicochi.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-in-Lava-Reef-Zone-117341739

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
i don't think so. i think the only way sonic should continue is in 2D or maybe at a push 3D as long as it sticks to the speed levels. and even then it should be confined to the xbox arcade etc.

B0BX

Dec 24, 2008
Kill off every character introduced after adventure two, (and even some before that).

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Actually, I kinda felt that some of the later levels in Sonic Unleashed showed a bit of promise. What they need to do is stop making so many of them in such a short period of time first of all, that just ruins the appeal. They also have to abandon all their new gameplay devices such as medal collection and God of War-esque fighting stages. It can be done, but it'll take an immense amount of creativity, and perhaps an even greater amount of luck.

SideScroller99

Jun 25, 2009
im not sure if its safe to say that sonic is completely dead yet because there has been alot of great sonic games on the hand-held (sonic-advanced & sonic rush) i think that the real problem with his 3-D games is that no one really knows how to make a speed-ster work in 3-D plains but i think if they look back at what made the sonic-adventure games good and improve it a little it would work thats more wishful thinking on my part but heres hoping
(P.S. put sonic in a world where there arent any humans except egg-man and everyone else are animals because sonic looks really stupid walking around with real people)

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Only if Sonic Team get completely disbanded and the franchise is turned over to a competent developer.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
To those that volunteer to try bring Sonic back, at this point in his career, *salute* "Thanks for accepting your mission and good luck!"

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
atomictoast said:
Sonic Adventure 3...that's all I want.

Make it happen Sega. Just make it like SA2, make an Online Chao Garden with more games, and DON'T MAKE ANY MORE CHARACTERS.

Oh, and while we're at it. No more Big the Cat...ever.
better yet, put a .50c round through big's skull

Make it more like a cross between Sonic Adventure 1+2, the mirrored-ness of SA2 kinda sucks
give Knuckles a better roll then a treasure hunter, even if he is suposed to be hunting down the shards of the master emerald

mad benji89

May 4, 2009
i heard that they was going to do a sonic game where it was 2d again so its more going back to when it was true to the sonic game, because i think it played so much better as a side scroller than it did 3D

am hopping the next sonic will be 2D because then it might be able to pick it self of the floor again and might be taken as a good game again.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Am I the only person on this entire forum who LIKED the Day AND Night stages in Unleashed? To answer you're question, he's heading the right direction with Unleashed Day levels imo. They just need to work out the kinks in the 3-d segments.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Dr. Wily III said:
fudgebo said:
its only natural that running from left to right got boring, at the end of the day thats all sonic does...run,quite boring when you think about it.
Well, nowdays yes, but before Sonic Adventure the levels were HUGE and free to EXPLORE but nowdays it`s just about SPEED!!1111

Snotnarok said:
Just doing it 2D will not solve anything.
Listen to the fans...yeah right, I guess you mean the ones who think that "in the glory days" Sonic was just about running..

Wrong, Sonic was about plattforming and exploration! Don`t believe me?

http://sonicstadium.org/articles/the-crossfire-level-design

http://nicochi.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-in-Lava-Reef-Zone-117341739
I own every Sonic game on the genesis I know how the levels look haha. I know what the old ones are like and I know what made 'em good, running different paths, bouncing off enemies to get across a waterfall. Going fast was a fun part about it but it's platforming.

Unleashed was a fun different way to play Sonic, is it on par with the genesis games? Hell no, but was it fun? I think so (not the night levels I don't have THAT much brain damage)

Hypeoz

Oct 8, 2009
Refer to the zero punctuation review on sonic unleashed...that is how I feel about it.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
For it to come back, i say it needs to remake the original "good" games in 2.5D with only sonic and tails. That would work right?