Poll: Can you touch your toes?

AnimatedAmbiguity

Mar 28, 2011
I can, but just barely. Can't go beyond the middle of my fingertips before feeling like my arms are about to be dislodged out of their respective sockets.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I have long legs, have a bad back, weigh about 300 pounds, have a rather large gut, and yet I still can touch my toes without bending my knees. If there's one thing I can be proud of, it's that, even being unfit, I'm still rather flexible.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
MisterGobbles said:
Wouldn't that disastrously affect your posture? Not that I have good posture, but this just seems like it'd make you walk like a horse or something.
No, not really. It's not like my knees stay at 90 degrees or anything. If measured with a protractor, the angle would be around 170-175 degrees. Not far off from straight, just... not there. I've found it to actually be quite useful. Truth be told, I don't know why anyone would want to keep their legs perfectly straight.
Yeah, that makes sense. Most of the time when I stand I'm leaning to one side slightly; I just find it more comfortable to stand like that. I don't know whether it's because one leg's slightly shorter or because I'm flat footed or because I'm just plain weird.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
It hurts the back of my knees a bit because I have pretty long legs, but yeah I can do it.

Why so curious?

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
ONCE UPON A TIME... i could...

Now that i am older, 30 kg heavier, not working out anymore... and sitting about 12 to 14 hours a day at the computer: nope...

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Easily.
In fact, I held the state record for male 8th grade sit-and-reach length for years.
Actually, I'm unsure if it was broken. I never checked >_<

I am a VERY VERY limber guy.
They had a state record for "male 8th grade sit-and-reach length" where you come from? where is this? although we did a similar thing in grade 8/9, I don't think there was much in the way of records, it was just who could throw themselves furthest forward and disregard all pain

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Nope, I'm what many doctors are calling "obese"

Also I have a pretty serious leg problem, and a less serious back problem.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bravo 21 said:
They had a state record for "male 8th grade sit-and-reach length" where you come from? where is this? although we did a similar thing in grade 8/9, I don't think there was much in the way of records, it was just who could throw themselves furthest forward and disregard all pain
For a time, they kept those sorts of records in Illinois. Why, I cannot guess.
Then again, growing up I was subject to many state programs for alternative PE curriculum/programs: including line dancing, cooperative tumbling, and (oh why) partnered-dancing.

So I won't pretend to understand the madness behind it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm not very supple. D:

I can reach my ankles, but my legs are much longer than my arms and I have too much gut fat and lack the flexibility required to reach three inches farther. ;_;

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Not that flexible. I blame the children of the world, I got older they didn't. I can get maybe half my hand away from the toes? Do I get half credit?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
MisterGobbles said:
Wouldn't that disastrously affect your posture? Not that I have good posture, but this just seems like it'd make you walk like a horse or something.
No, not really. It's not like my knees stay at 90 degrees or anything. If measured with a protractor, the angle would be around 170-175 degrees. Not far off from straight, just... not there. I've found it to actually be quite useful. Truth be told, I don't know why anyone would want to keep their legs perfectly straight.
So I can rear to my full height and intimidate people. As a cashier, this has come in immeasurably helpful. Me standing up straight to my 6'4" height with a slight chest puff lowers an angry customer's volume by as much as thirty decibels! :D

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I absolutely can, just not with my hands.

(Crosses arms, tilts head back)

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Powereaver said:
Sure no problems.. the upside of having a long torso and by comparison short legs... means i can touch the floor in front of me usually.
I have a long torso (long enough that even with advance warning that it's happened before they still can't fit everything into a single shot in a chest x-ray) and short enough legs that I wear the same size pants as my friend four inches shorter than I am...and I don't think I've been able to touch my toes since I was in elementary school. Ever since high school I haven't been able to get much beyond 8" from the floor, even on a good day, no matter how good shape I'm in. I just have really tight hamstrings. It's kind of weird because my hips are as loose as my hamstrings are tight, so despite that I can still almost put my legs behind my head.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Have never been able to. I'm not flexible enough to bend that far, and it's not because I've got pudge to overcome. Even as a kid in gymnastics, I was never able to do this (and thus became the laughing stock of the class). I just don't have a very flexible frame. Never have, even when I stretched out a lot more than I do now.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Nope. I can't. Never have been able to. I am just seriously inflexible. Kind of annoying sometimes but what can you do right?