Poll: Cazadors, Deathclaws, or Feral Ghoul Reavers?

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Deathclaws, definitely. At least cazadores are fairly easy if you have antivenom, and are very easy if you have a companion with you (especially if its ed-e). Deathclaws just don't give up, and they kill you in two or three hits. I ended up just using two stealthboys to get to the otherside of the quarry by sticking to the edge. I hate them so much. I burned through the cazadore canyon for that quest for the thorn without getting poisoned once (my companion, on the other hand....) Still stuck on the deathclaw part though.

Reavers...eh, never had much of a problem with them.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
For me, Reavers. I'm so used to merrily salsafying feral ghouls in one or two shots that whenever I see one, I recklessly charge them head-on. Then one of them turns out to be a Reaver, and I'm already dead.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
Ghoul Reavers, better yet I think I'll say ALL types of ghouls.

Sure Cazadors and Deathclaws have kicked my wastelander ass plenty of times, but I HATE ghouls. It is not the amount of damage that they do to you when they decent in their packs, it is not that some of them move faster and hit harder than others, or that they are healed by radiation and that their are ghouls that serve only as mobile healing factories, and it is not because in N.V. they filled Vault 34 which I always went in to get the pulse gun. No, none of those matter, what really drives me towards an all ghoul genocide is their throaty howl that they do when ever they so much as imagine you are where you are. It is as soon as I hear that throaty howl that I go from savior-of-the-wasteland mode to all-moving-things-must-die mode.

This even caries over into Skyrim, when ever I dealt with the Falmer and heard that howl, I would always walk out of that cave a while later having killed anything that did move, could move, might have moved, or that I thought that I saw move in my murderous rampage.

So yeah, I REALLY HATE ghouls

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Cazadors.

Its always hilarious telling a first time player to go north of Goodsprings and then watching the fallout.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I have to go with Cazadores on this one. The little bastards sap your life, and then fatigue you so you can't even fight back effectively.

Esp. if you are trying to do an awesome melee character, the little devils will bend you over a bench and have their way with you. Deathclaws are just fun.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
death claws, they can kill you in 1-4 hits depending on level and armor. they often come in swarms them selfs, there faster than you. bugs can be annoying as hell in there own right, but much ezer to manage. reavers eh, never had a issue to be honest.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Reavers were never a problem for me since it's pretty easy to get close enough to them to get a good headshot or two.

Deathclaws are incredibly deadly but only if they can manage to reach you. If you run a melee oriented character than Deathclaws are likely the bane of your existence. However if you run a character that's accurate with guns than the challenge diminishes, specially if you further add a high critical rating. They can close gaps fast, but they still have to deal with an oncoming hail of gunfire.

Cazadors are a completely different story as they have range, they have venom, and they move quickly and in groups. They deal a lot of damage from afar and if you don't kill them fast enough than the venom will likely take a good chunk of your health, specially for those with lower endurance.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I'm not really afraid of the Cazadores, at least not anymore. Sure they downright murder you and their very existence forces you to follow a very linear path for the first 30 percent of the game, but that can be over come. Also, Veronica in Power Armor tends to take the fear and most of the challenge away.

at my level, I'm farming them for fun.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
God. Fucking Reavers. Too fast, too hard to hit, too strong. They can throw you around with a few hits. They even have a projectile that can inflict radiation damage.
Haven't played FNV past the first town, but in FO3 I agree with YellowCellPhone. Not only do they have tons of health, but you generally run into them in abandoned buildings and tight quarters, meaning you have no room to manuever while they shower you with rads and toxify the place up.

Hate those guys.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Despite the bullet-sponge tendency of the Reavers, I can usually deal with them ok. Deathclaws, I can usually avoid any areas with them hanging around. However, as for Cazadores...
The things are hell. Really. They're tough, ridiculously hard to hit, poison you, and swarm. And move faster than you do. The only way I can survive the early levels against those beasts is to get Veronica with me as soon as possible. They seem to have an unusual weakness to power fists...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Take Reavers off and replace with FUCKING LAKELURKS. Since I play a long range sniper, Reavers are pushovers with my high sneak criticals, but fucking Lakelurks man. Attacking from range means the bastards use their sonic attack, which ignores AP entirely and can kill you in three hits. And there's always a group of the fuckers.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Out of the Options presented, im going with Deathclaws. Mainly because they are one of the most universal Threats no matter the character.

As a Melee Character:

Cazadors are pushovers, especially once you have the ballistic fist or similar, as well as piercing strike and super slam. They dont have high DT, or massive Health, a swarm is usually about 5-6 at once, throw a tin grenade at them at the beginning and then rush them and punch like a madman till everything is dead.

Ghoul Reavers are difficult, mainly because of high DT and high amounts of Health, but they are usually in small numbers, there's one, maybe two at once, and easy to deal with, just keep at it. In large swarms, especially with a glowing one around? Yeah best bet is to take the glowing one out first, otherwise thats gonna be a pain.

As for Deathclaws, well they suck. If you get one alone? Its a pushover, piercing strike, super slam and at worst a couple stimpacks, usually you can either KO them or knock them back avoiding their counterattack essentially, then just run after them so they cant jump you. However in a larger group, say 3-4 at once? Thats when it gets difficult, even worse when its more than that. Never take one more than 3 at a time. Rush the first one and kill it quickly, lob a grenade at it first maybe, then enter VATS and punch out the second, it gives you some room to breathe due to the slowdown, then deal with the third the same way as the first. If its more than that? Run like hell. And im going from the perspective of a high level Character by the way.

Ranged Character:

Depends essentially on the gun at that point, im going with a Sniper Rifle with Suppressor, its the safest method.

Cazadors, cripple a wing from afar, use vats. You will most likely get a stealth crit if you are crouched and either take it out entirely or at least cripple the wing, do the same to the rest of the swarm, alternatively, throw a tin grenade at them, or any grenade first, then pick off their wings and circle-strafe them. Without wings they arent any Threat.

Ghoul Reavers, aim for the head. Yes it sounds silly bit honestly its the best method, if you manage a stealth crit you can either take them out entirely if you are lucky, or cripple them outright, which makes them stand still, allowing you to fire a round in the leg or torso, crippling that as well, essentially stun them and then kill mobility. However seeing as they are usually not in large groups, its easy to deal with them from afar, picking them off one by one before they even notice you are there, or rather where you are.

Deathclaws, cripple the legs, whatever you do, cripple the legs. It makes them slow as hell, especially if you manage both. However avoid being swarmed, you can easily get hit by one from behind so stay as far away from packs as possible, take out small ones first, shot to the head usually does the trick and then whittle them down by keeping to move. They are only a threat if they get within range or its more than 2, you cant shoot fast enough if they get too close so that will be almost assured death on your part. At best, kill one or two from afar, then switch to a shotgun with DT Ammo, since they will either have spotted you by then, or are too close to deal with with a sniper rifle. If they havent spotted you, just kill the rest from a distance.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I only played Fallout 3 (never New Vegas), but I only found Deathclaws intimidating until I got the Dart Gun. That just kills them - a Deathclaw with no legs can't get to melee, so I'd just orbit them, taking potshots until they keel over.

Reavers are worse - when my character can't get a sneak attack headshot.

...What is a Cazador?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Alpha Deathclaws are hell. They catch you, you're dead. At least cazoardors drop like flies with a flamethrower. High level deathclaws can take a rocket blast to the face. I don't go up against deathclaw without stealthboys and alot of mines.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Cazadors. Screw them.

Deathclaws are easy, Feral Ghoul Reavers are easy. A Cazador though...

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Regiment said:
I only played Fallout 3 (never New Vegas), but I only found Deathclaws intimidating until I got the Dart Gun. That just kills them - a Deathclaw with no legs can't get to melee, so I'd just orbit them, taking potshots until they keel over.

Reavers are worse - when my character can't get a sneak attack headshot.

...What is a Cazador?
Basically a Giant Wasp that attacks with a stinger of course, the thing that makes them so deadly is that they are very fast, can poison you, and they attack in swarms, 1 can be a hassle, but 5 at once are a nightmare, I find them much more of a problem than Deathclaws and Reavers, at least they have the courtesy to stand still enough to target points on them in real time

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Not even a close call.

Deathclaws aren't a big deal. Apart from the Legendary Deathclaw and possibly the Alpha/Matriach, they were never THAT dangerous by the time you're a decent level. Only real threat is their armour-ignoring claws and leap. Cripple them, they're useless. At range, they're useless.

Feral Ghoul Reavers aren't dangerous, they're just absolute ammo sponges. Just keep pumping rounds into them and they will EVENTUALLY go down.

Cazadors, on the other hand, are fuckers. They're faster than you at all times, come in larger groups than the other ones, have more mobility, can chase you up edges easier, and poison you with a decidedly dangerous toxin.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
I have a lot of trouble fighting the Reavers. They are tough sons O' bitches. Im blasting them with everything i have and the fucker is still standing but they are not the worst though.

The absolute worst threat in Fallout 3/New Vegas are none other than the fucking ALBINO RADSCORPION. I swear to god, these fuckers are extremely powerful and they can easily survive a mini nuke. When i see one, i don't waste my time and i just start running he'll stop chasing me eventually.