Poll: CCP stakes White Wolf's Heart - World of canceled

Rose N Garten

Apr 25, 2014
So sd...

CCP games bought White Wolf, sucked out all the juicy parts and left a dead hulk to rot on the ground... not even a decent burial.

I guess proves that CCP the biggest vampire in the game industry. Such a shame. As great as Eve Online is (I can not deny that), a persistent Vampire world would have attracted ten times more paying subscribers as the spaceship game.

If CCP could not make this content work, we can only pray they will sell what's left of White Wolf and include the intellectual property stay with those of us who love Vampire.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
When I read the thread title, I interpreted "CCP stakes White Wolf's Heart" as "Chinese Communist Party stakes Geralt of Rivia's Heart"...boy was I confused...

Menageryl

Apr 4, 2014
Rose N Garten said:
If CCP could not make this content work, we can only pray they will sell what's left of White Wolf and include the intellectual property stay with those of us who love Vampire.
Sadly this is just never going to happen unless:
1) CCP at some point finds itself in DIRE STRAITS and absolutely DESPERATE for cash!
or, maybe,
2) If they were offered TRULY OBSCENE amounts of money for IP ownership!!!

Right now they're sitting with a property that requires damn-near ZERO management from their end, yet which still generates money for them via companies like Onyx Path. And then, of course, there are future considerations...

I would LOVE to see Onyx Path end up with the IP in-hand, but the situation (sadly) is what it is.
For now we should just hope that things continue into the future the way they are now - at least the property isn't dead or static... Only the "computer game" side of things looks abysmal right now, today! :)

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
After seven or eight years without ever delivering anything substantial, this was a hopeless romance anyway. Move on.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
The MMO was likely to be bad, that's why they canned it. They're probably waiting for tech considerations so they can do it properly. I don't mind. I still got my tabletop WoD.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
A WoD MMO is simply too awesome an idea to exist at this point.

CCP is simply how the paradox backlash manifested.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
White Wolf has been in financial straights for years. I'm not sure publishing, especially tabletop games is particularly profitable. It just seems like the companies are either constantly going out of business or merging with companies that also do 100,000 other things (Cough cough, Wizards of the Coin).

I think I've gotten used to this by this point, it's sad but I'm used to it. Don't worry, the game you loved is still there in the books. You can still play it. I'm still playing Silver Age Sentinels Tri-Stat!

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I think the sad thing is mostly that they focused on some shitty game like DUST514 first, an absurd decision in my eyes as they decided to release the thing for consoles while their biggest target group for EVE is the PC.
It's also reflected in the crappy numbers and reviews that game is pulling.

Maybe DUST514 had nothing to do with WoD's cancellation, but if it did, that would be very sad. A good game set in that universe (taking some pointers from VTM:Bloodlines perhaps), would have been a million times more interesting than some crappy P2W MMO shooter.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
The MMO has been cancelled yes. But White Wolf is still making books for both the Classic and New World of Darkness through Onyx Path. The people at Onyx Path have flat out said that this has not affected anything they are doing and their release schedule is still going strong.

Sep 14, 2009
dyre said:
When I read the thread title, I interpreted "CCP stakes White Wolf's Heart" as "Chinese Communist Party stakes Geralt of Rivia's Heart"...boy was I confused...
hahahaha to be honest, I thought the same thing, CCP only meant that to me and white wolf instantly made me think of geralt.

OT: I have no ties to any of this, so I'm not gonna say anything about it.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
They should have never made that stupid Dust game. They should have made a couple RPG's out of the World of Darkness franchise. A Werewolf RPG, Wizard RPG and so on.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I think I would've enjoyed it as single player more, honestly. Definitely expanded upon to include werewolves, changelings, humans, and other products of whitewolf.
I imagine a game running on the same engine with similar assets, and information readily available would allow a company to make sequels easier with more ability to hit more interested audiences.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
MMOs are huge undertakings, both in development and deployment. The WoD MMO CCP has been working on has been a project troubled for awhile now...cutting their losses now is the sensible thing to do, rather than pushing forward and risking it turning into the Duke Nukem Forever of MMORPGs.

The World of Darkness isn't going anywhere. CCP hasn't even necessarily abandoned the idea of an MMO forever, they've just realized they aren't in a position to make it happen right now and that continuing to throw money after it is a losing proposition for everyone. Personally, I'd advise them to start rolling out single player/small multiplayer outings in the setting before trying to climb the MMO mountain again, especially with the way the MMO market tends to be.

I wonder if something like the old Neverwinter Nights multiplayer kit might be an interesting direction here.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
I think world of darkness's focus on story and lack of balance would have killed it. Its hard to have fun when you have to struggle so hard against other characters in the universe when they dont even have to lift a pinky to start kicking ass. And yes I know its more about the story but the guy who gets stuck being the other werewolfs ***** without a chance in hell tends to not see it that way and not have much fun.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
CCP knows what they're doing.
If they cancelled it, it's because it was the right thing to do.

CCP is in no rush to make a crappy MMORPG. They want to build unique masterpieces that are exactly what they SHOULD be, not anything fettered by preconceived notions set by other games.

They're not going to release another dumb WoW clone like SWTOR or TESO. So, if they cancelled it, it probably because that weren't satisfied with their ability to escape the gravitational field of conventions based on WoW in a way that they thought made for a great game.

They'll probably come back to it later when they figure out how they want to do it.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
World of Darkness MMO, especially the vampire part, would not be possible without huge landscapes, several cities and very small player base, unless most of the players portrayed basic humans. The simple idea of hundredthousand vampires grinding and sucking dry gang members and civilians in a few square kilometer area would utterly stupid. It should have been something like 20 vampires per city, less if a smaller town.

They would have been better off trying to produce a single player sequel or spiritual successor for Bloodlines. That would have sold.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
SFMB said:
World of Darkness MMO, especially the vampire part, would not be possible without huge landscapes, several cities and very small player base, unless most of the players portrayed basic humans. The simple idea of hundredthousand vampires grinding and sucking dry gang members and civilians in a few square kilometer area would utterly stupid. It should have been something like 20 vampires per city, less if a smaller town.

They would have been better off trying to produce a single player sequel or spiritual successor for Bloodlines. That would have sold.
This pretty much. The way most World of Darkness p&p and LARP games are played is almost impossible to translate into a MMO. Take a look at the two most prominent OWoD-games: Vampire: Redemption and Vampire: Bloodlines. The former had multiplayer in the form of DM-led scenarios while the latter was a story and social heavy singleplayer game.

The concept of a WoD MMO is intriguing, but it would also require a completely groundbreaking approach to design, play style and lots of other areas because it wouldn't make sense to have daily quests, grind quests, raids or player driven market (all staples of MMOs) in a WoD-based games. CCP probably did the right thing here.