Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
Considering the hate usually generated by anti gay marriage types, this is actually quite tame. its a christian business, as OP said, so its not really shocking. I've eaten there maybe 2 times my entire life, so it couldn't possibly effect me less. i'm sure the people who run the businesses I go to are into all sorts of crazy shit, they just don't talk about it.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
Kaulen Fuhs said:
NotALiberal said:
While not a Christian, or a liberal.. or a conservative, a lot of people on this site sure are being hateful. You cannot compare the civil rights movement with gay rights. Simple.

One was pure bigotry, plain and simple, viewing certain people as inferior and subhuman because of their skin color really has no justification beyond ignorants gon' ignorant. The "gay rights" movement however, has pretty much come to a standstill on gay marriage. That has ALWAYS been the polarizing issue. I've NEVER (Inb4 someone quotes some radical WBC like "christian group") seen Christians advocate gays be treated like subhumans, segregated and lacking any civil rights. The one issues Christians will raise, however, is the marriage issue. They believe they have a certain moral obligation to oppose it, while also believing that marriage should stay defined as a "one man, one woman" thing. There is no hate in most of the opposition, and any true Christian is called to love everyone unconditionally, regardless of race, sex, orientation, and social status.

So while I support gay marriage, I would still eat at this man's restaurant chain..despite not living in 'Merica. Also, cut back on calling him a "jerk" because he disagrees with your viewpoints. If he came out and said something like.. "I believe all gays should be hanged", I'd be down for a definite boycott. Is he somewhat "ignorant"? Sure. I just don't believe he's genuinely hateful.

But I suppose this will just get lost in the sea of liberal claptrap demanding the mans head for *GASP*, not holding liberal viewpoints. Jesus, "conservatives" and "liberals" are as fucking narrow minded and bigoted as each other.
God.

Get the fuck over yourselves, people. No one is demanding this man's head. They just choose not to contribute to a business engaged in practices that don't sit well with them morally.

They are just as entitled to their perspective as this business owner is to his.

Christ.
Never said they weren't did I now? I've just seen a couple of posters in this thread calling the man a jerk, simply because he holds a very conservative viewpoint in comparison to theirs, while calling those who didn't boycott the "very thesis of the modern consumer" or some bullshit like that.

You might want to learn this thing called reading comprehension before you start flaming people.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
NotALiberal said:
While not a Christian, or a liberal.. or a conservative, a lot of people on this site sure are being hateful. You cannot compare the civil rights movement with gay rights. Simple.

One was pure bigotry, plain and simple, viewing certain people as inferior and subhuman because of their skin color really has no justification beyond ignorants gon' ignorant. The "gay rights" movement however, has pretty much come to a standstill on gay marriage. That has ALWAYS been the polarizing issue. I've NEVER (Inb4 someone quotes some radical WBC like "christian group") seen Christians advocate gays be treated like subhumans, segregated and lacking any civil rights. The one issues Christians will raise, however, is the marriage issue. They believe they have a certain moral obligation to oppose it, while also believing that marriage should stay defined as a "one man, one woman" thing. There is no hate in most of the opposition, and any true Christian is called to love everyone unconditionally, regardless of race, sex, orientation, and social status.

So while I support gay marriage, I would still eat at this man's restaurant chain..despite not living in 'Merica. Also, cut back on calling him a "jerk" because he disagrees with your viewpoints. If he came out and said something like.. "I believe all gays should be hanged", I'd be down for a definite boycott. Is he somewhat "ignorant"? Sure. I just don't believe he's genuinely hateful.

But I suppose this will just get lost in the sea of liberal claptrap demanding the mans head for *GASP*, not holding liberal viewpoints. Jesus, "conservatives" and "liberals" are as fucking narrow minded and bigoted as each other.
Really? REALLY? I love it when people bring this up.

Blacks were discriminated against because of something they were born with.
Same with gays.

Blacks were attacked by extreme religious groups that called for them marrying their loved one a sin against God.
Same with gays.

Marriage allows for several very important civil rights, such as Social Security, visitation in a hospital, medical waivers, adoption, etc. So this is a VERY LARGE civil rights issue.

It all comes down to both groups were discriminated against because of the way they were born, and both times the PSYCHOS DOING IT WERE DEAD WRONG.
Guess what? Everyone's been discriminated against at some point in their lives. Gay or not. Me as an Arab, who sticks out like a sore thumb in an Australian country, was bullied for a majority of school. I don't act like I'm some oppressed minority.

Blacks were attacked by extreme religious groups that called for them marrying their loved one a sin against God.
Same with gays.
Let's dig deeper

extreme religious groups
Oh I see, cause extreme religious groups are representative of a majority of a nation amiright, and are always rational and never discriminate against people other than gays. Ever. Not to mention, some of the people pushing for the civil rights movements very heavily were EXTREMELY religious people. So please cut the bullshit.

Also, last time I checked, pretty much EVERY single civilized country allows civil unions to whomever the **** wants them. Legally, they are the same as marriage in the governments eyes, just you know...not the "marriage" part. Which just makes it an issue of semantics and less about "civil rights".

So look, try not getting so worked up next time, this liberal habit of acting like politically correct "issues" are the only issues worth giving a fuck about is fucking infuriating. Not allowing gay marriage is stupid, but it will happen eventually, stop acting like this is some great "social injustice".

Captcha: Moot point. See, even captcha agrees with me.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Old news is old. Old boycott is old.

The guy's got his own views. He supports what he wants to support. It's all on the up-and-up and all legal. He doesn't discriminate against employees or customers.
If you don't like his views and don't want money going to what he supports, go ahead and boycott. It's as simple as that.

The best way to get any message across has always been to hit them in the wallet. Therefore, do so.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
NotALiberal said:
Also, last time I checked, pretty much EVERY single civilized country allows civil unions to whomever the **** wants them.
I see what you did there... Every "civilized" country... Therefore, most of the US is not civilized. :-D

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This is an interesting issue. I have no problem with a guy not liking gays. It's his opinion to hold and it is not my business to dictate to him how I think he should think. Boycotting his chain is doing exactly that. However, the fact that he had donated to anti-gay agendas changes things drastically. Now my business and support of his product (not his ideas) is supporting his ideas (not his business). Suddenly, it's not just him supporting something I don't like, it's me supporting something I don't like. It' becomes a paradox of trying to not do the wrong thing (supporting anti-gay agendas) and doing the right thing (not playing thought-police by boycotting his business).

Phew, that's a lot of double-negatives and conditional modifiers in that paragraph.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.
Its not like the company drops in a few dollars towards anti-gay marriage groups. The company has dropped MILLIONS. Now I don't hate the company or suggest other people don't eat there. I personally just can't allow my own money to flow towards a cause that I'm so passionately against.

Feel free to eat there, they have amazing chicken sandwiches. (I liked the hot n spicey) Its me that has the issue. Why should everyone else be affected by my personal views.
Dragonclaw said:
They are just starting to expand into Northen California but I wont be trying them out. Like Zack I just don't want money I give anyone to have even a tiny fraction of it be used that way.
I assume you both spend nothing on anything considering that you have no idea where that money is going to end up the moment it leaves your hand?
Of course I can't look into every little bit on where my money goes, but I do know about Chick-fila. I can't consciously give money to an organization that donates money to a cause I'm so strongly against. I'm sure my money has gone to other such things I'm against, but the thing is I don't know about it.

Also many organizations have stances on things, but they don't donate huge sums of money. If oreo went the other way and said "We believe marriage is between a man and a woman." I would still buy their cookies along as they don't start donating. A vocal opinion is one thing a direct action is another.
So you want to force your opinion on them?

Look, the deal is, the moment it leaves your hand it ceases to be your money. I doubt you'd like it if your boss decided to stop paying you because you disagree with him/her on something. I just consider your way of looking at this as silly. It's not your money anymore, so your money isn't supporting anything that you disagree with.
I think your trying to convey that I'm paying for a sandwich not donating to anti-gay groups. I think your not looking in depth enough. Also my boss would be required to pay me because he hired me to do something. It would be like me going to Chick-Fila and not paying for a sandwich, but still eating one. Thats wrong. This is about the fact that I happen to know where the money goes this time and I don't want to fund that in any way possible. As in any way I can. I don't have to eat there, I am not required to eat there, so I don't have to spend any money there.

I am not forcing my opinion on them at all I'm not in the crowds that protest, nor do I send nasty letters to them. All I'm doing is not eating there because they give funds to anti-gay marriage groups. My money is barely a scratch in their profits, they honestly could care less. However, by eating there, knowing what I know, I am supporting this cause through a secondary action. Which is giving them money (however small) which they then take a percentage of and donate it to anti-gay marriage groups.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
OK - this guy has an opinion - he voiced in a non hateful way

He is entitled to that opinion, if you agree or don't....

If he starts to act on that opinion and ban gay people from his chicken hut then he becomes a douchbag - and as far as I'm aware lobbying against something is fine, done in the correct way.

MY opinion is that all religions in the western world are getting marginalized and were once they were a power now they're just a very vocal minority who think their opinion should be sacrosanct and their voice the only voice heard - times have, thankfully IMHO, moved on and this is not the case but it will be a few more generations until some new balance is reached

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.
Its not like the company drops in a few dollars towards anti-gay marriage groups. The company has dropped MILLIONS. Now I don't hate the company or suggest other people don't eat there. I personally just can't allow my own money to flow towards a cause that I'm so passionately against.

Feel free to eat there, they have amazing chicken sandwiches. (I liked the hot n spicey) Its me that has the issue. Why should everyone else be affected by my personal views.
Dragonclaw said:
They are just starting to expand into Northen California but I wont be trying them out. Like Zack I just don't want money I give anyone to have even a tiny fraction of it be used that way.
I assume you both spend nothing on anything considering that you have no idea where that money is going to end up the moment it leaves your hand?
Of course I can't look into every little bit on where my money goes, but I do know about Chick-fila. I can't consciously give money to an organization that donates money to a cause I'm so strongly against. I'm sure my money has gone to other such things I'm against, but the thing is I don't know about it.

Also many organizations have stances on things, but they don't donate huge sums of money. If oreo went the other way and said "We believe marriage is between a man and a woman." I would still buy their cookies along as they don't start donating. A vocal opinion is one thing a direct action is another.

Look, the deal is, the moment it leaves your hand it ceases to be your money. I doubt you'd like it if your boss decided to stop paying you because you disagree with him/her on something. I just consider your way of looking at this as silly. It's not your money anymore, so your money isn't supporting anything that you disagree with.
I think your trying to convey that I'm paying for a sandwich not donating to anti-gay groups. I think your not looking in depth enough. Also my boss would be required to pay me because he hired me to do something. It would be like me going to Chick-Fila and not paying for a sandwich, but still eating one. Thats wrong. This is about the fact that I happen to know where the money goes this time and I don't want to fund that in any way possible. As in any way I can. I don't have to eat there, I am not required to eat there, so I don't have to spend any money there.

I am not forcing my opinion on them at all I'm not in the crowds that protest, nor do I send nasty letters to them. All I'm doing is not eating there because they give funds to anti-gay marriage groups. My money is barely a scratch in their profits, they honestly could care less. However, by eating there, knowing what I know, I am supporting this cause through a secondary action. Which is giving them money (however small) which they then take a percentage of and donate it to anti-gay marriage groups.
The general idea of boycott is to force change with non-violent means. Yes, you are trying to force your opinion on him. It's simple as that. No, you do not have to eat there, obviously, but your reasoning isn't the service itself but what the owner of the service thinks, that, by default, makes this about you wanting to force your ideals.

You are free to do whatever you want, you are however not magically in the right because of that. You are just as silly as the people that had a problem with Oreos being pro gay rights. As far as I'm concerned you're all ****** that have no clue how to just live peacefully with each other.
Not true Oreo isn't throwing money towards helping gays. Also I don't give a damn about boycotting for the purpose of stopping anything. I'm doing it because I would feel sick inside if even a penny I gave went to that cause. Its not them and what they do its me and my personal beliefs.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
I suddenly have a massive craving for some red rooster right now...

Seriously, I don't give a flying fuck. So some south american purveyor of fried poultry doesn't like gay marriage, it's hardly a ground-shattering revelation. I disagree with his views (it would be pretty hypocritical of me to say otherwise), but I think the best course of action would be just to say "that's nice, dear" and keep doing whatever it is you do.

PrinceFortinbras

Jul 18, 2012
Revnak said:
SRSavior said:
*necessary snip*
1. I suppose you track down every dollar you spend then? At some point you must be more concerned for your own livelihood and pleasure than you are about where your dollar goes. This changes when the issue is significant enough to actually be worth throwing a fit about. In my opinion, this guy seems to be relatively decent, he just supports politics I don't. Considering that NOBODY supports politics I do (it would be impossible for me to survive if I only gave my money to fellow libertarians) I am okay with this. He's not slaughtering or murdering, and he certainly isn't delivering the product in a manner I find disagreeable. He's just supporting things I don't. I'm kinda used to that.
2. The civil war was about economics because the south based their economy around slavery. I'm pretty certain that homophobes don't based their economy around homophobia, or the other way around.
3. Rights aren't necessarily about equality, rights are applied equally. Marriage isn't a right, as rights are about preventing interference in your life. State recognition of relationships, which is what marriage is, is the state interfering in your life for the better and not to prevent other sources of interference. Clearly no one has any right to be married, just as they have no right to own a Waverider, at least not in the way you are implying they do.
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.

1. The point is not to keep track of every dollar you spend. The point is to be as conscious as possible. When you know a given company actively support something you are against, or do something you don't support you don't give them the money they need to continue doing what they do. This might not do much in the big scheme of things,but it is always better to do something then nothing. Always. If everyone was in the "I don't care, it's only chicken" -camp, anti-guy organizations would have more money with which to campaign.

2. I think his/her point was that everything has political element, namely because politics is about how society should be run/structured. And politics and the market are absolutely not separated - as this case proves. When businesses support political agendas they intersect. And a using money becomes a political action.

Aug 25, 2009
ElPatron said:
DVS BSTrD said:
where as there is A VERY LOGICAL REASON to keep pedophiles from marrying kids.

Then maybe you should spend your time deriding marriage itself instead of defending bigots who use their God to justify persecuting others.
Which is? Oh, right, cultural reasons. Someone not able to consent in your country might be able in other. I am not equating pedophilia to homosexuality, I am just saying that people are not forced to agree with other people, and that does not mean hatred for who they are.

I am not defending bigotry. I am defending people's rights to be bigots if they want, and be free to say that they are.
Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one who exhibits intolerance or animosity toward members of a group.

If you support the rights of someone to be a bigot, you are supporting bigotry, there isn't a distinction, they are literally exactly the same thing.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I am not going to boycott a company because the owner disagrees with me.

If the chain was refusing to hire gay people, I'd have a bigger problem. If the owner is just prejudiced, and it's his personal axe to grind, honestly, this is not my business. It's unfortunate, absolutely, but I'm really not going to try to fix Everything Wrong on the Internet (or real life).

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

Dragonclaw said:

The general idea of boycott is to force change with non-violent means. Yes, you are trying to force your opinion on him. It's simple as that. No, you do not have to eat there, obviously, but your reasoning isn't the service itself but what the owner of the service thinks, that, by default, makes this about you wanting to force your ideals.

You are free to do whatever you want, you are however not magically in the right because of that. You are just as silly as the people that had a problem with Oreos being pro gay rights. As far as I'm concerned you're all ****** that have no clue how to just live peacefully with each other.
Not true Oreo isn't throwing money towards helping gays.
And Chick-A-Fil didn't make a press release that Gay People totally suck, the owner talked about his beliefs. His personal beliefs.

Also I don't give a damn about boycotting for the purpose of stopping anything.
All I'm hearing here is "no, no, I'm totally not boycotting except that I'm boycotting."

I'm doing it because I would feel sick inside if even a penny I gave went to that cause.
Yes, I'm sure you aren't exaggerating in the slightest because you have no actual argument.

Gay people suck and should be put into camps so everyone else doesn't have to deal with their gay shit. And I am going to pay for it with Money that I can prove was once in Zack Alklazaris Wallet!!!

I assume you were overcome with explosive diarrhea just now? At the very least you should have to lie down because you feel so terrible.

Its not them and what they do its me and my personal beliefs.
Sure it is. Like I said, you should probably stop spending money on anything if this is suuuuch an issue for you. But go ahead and keep telling yourself that you totally aren't trying to force your ideals. I'll just continue to laugh at what huge hypocrites you all are.
I see you are unable to hold a mature conversation nor understand the difference between a company that vocally voices its opinion compared to financially supporting its opinion.

Yes I am boycotting, but not in the way you convey. I am not punishing the company I am simple withdrawing my own funds from being part of that company because, however small amount that is, that company has stated a small amount goes to something I find is wrong in the humane sense. It barely effects them, so its not a punishment, its a peace of mind for me.

Now I am sorry you can not understand simple reasoning in this conversation. Perhaps you should read more into things and post with intellect instead of emotion.