Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

Andropov4

Jan 12, 2012
All right, looks like I have a need to educate some people. Here come the numbered points!

1. For all of you saying that we shouldn't hurt his business due to his personal opinion, that's not the issue at hand. The trouble is that he is using the revenue genrated from the sale of his delicious, delicious chicken to aid in the campaign against gay rights. Hence, any money spent there will have a small percentage going to anti-gay rights groups. It would be like if some small portion of your kills in COD went to the other team.

2. Everyone who claims that hating bigotry makes you a bigot is, big surprise here, wrong. You see a bigot acively hates a person for something they can't control, a la skin color or sexual preference. However, one who hates a bigot hates a person due to that person's opinion, which they can and ought to change. Opinions are a choice, no matter how much one may be influenced by their upbringing and surroundings. It's the difference between hating a guy 'cause he's a newb, and hating a guy 'cause he's a griefer. One of those is a conscious decision.

3. Claiming that boycotts are ineffectual is hogwash. If a sizeable enough potion of people discontinue giving this fucknugget their cash, perhaps he actually will stop funding anti-gay groups. It's not about changing his opinion, but changing what he does with consumers money once he has it. It's just like saying that if a huge group of gamers didn't buy any game with a certain feature, that that feature wouldn't make a discrete disappearance. If the financial repercussions are great enough, people will do a hell of a lot.

4. There is no "slippery slope". Legalizing gay marriage will not result in legalizing marriage to animals or children or objects anymore than giving afro-americans and other racial minorities rights ended up with your hamster voting and your door going on strike. It's like claiming that FPSs switching to a different time period will cause all video games to switch to that time period.

5. For those of you not in the US, I apologize. Those of you who are in the States and say that marriage is just a matter of semantics need to be slapped. Marriage gives the married couple a whole slew of rights and privileges not granted to those in a civil union. The distinction is actually quite important. It's like the difference between Sonic the Hedgehog and Masterchief: one is just clearly far better than the other, even if the other isn't bad.

All right, if I skipped anything, mention it one of the angry-as-hell responses I know I have coming and class will resume session.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Probably the sanest response Ive seen in a long time. Dont know why people are so quick to get angry other someone's views, its not likely he's decided to ban gay people from his chain or something. He's explained his views and the reasoning, end of story recently.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Hmmm, as long as they just stop at words I don't care all that much. Their nuggets are just so delicious!!!

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
ITT I love the people defending this persons right to an opinion (and doing what he wants with his finances in line with that opinion) but getting all bent out of shape at others doing the exact same thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just don't see how a person can not see that denying the right to marry to a specific group of people is kinda wrong.

Can people marry other consenting people? yes.

Are bi/homosexual men and women people? if yes see first question & answer, if no...well I'm not a nice person so I honestly hope you get hit by a bus and/or your children, all your friends, your parents, your pets even your sofa turn out to be bi/homosexual and you douse your self in 5M H2SO4 to wash off all the gay cooties you now have.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I only knew what the fuck Chick-fil-a was because they mentioned it in a WeeklyTubeShow video, and since their restaurant chain isn?t in the UK and, therefore, doesn?t affect me, I couldn?t boycott it even if I wanted to. Which I don?t, because why should I give a shit what some homophobe from across the pond thinks? Just one person deciding to take the ?moral high ground? won?t do shit when there will still be thousands of others who don?t give a shit because they want to get their grub on.

Nor do I have much of a moral code. I still occasionally eat some of Kellogg?s cereal (if cardboard-flavoured cornflakes with cold milk is the only thing to eat for breakfast at my friend?s house, then fuck it, I?ll eat it), even though I now know that he was a vehemently antisexual Christian who was far too interested in little boys? masturbation habits. However, I don?t eat battery eggs because I can afford free-range eggs, which taste better and have the advantage of no chicken poop on them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Glass Joe the Champ said:
So if you haven't heard yet, Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-a (big Chicken fast food chain in the US) recently discussed his views on gay marriage, and he's firmly in the Rick Santorum-esque "Christian family values" camp. It also turns out the company has donated to numerous Christian organizations that lobby against gay marriage.

Here's a quote by him in an interview: "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.

Now, I support gay marriage as much as the next guy and I completely disagree with him, but I really don't mind this at all. For one, Chick-fil-a has always been known as a Christian business, what with being closed on the Sabbath and all, so this isn't exactly a shocker. For two, considering all the laughing people did over the "Gay Oreo controversy", it'd be pretty hypocritical to turn around and be mad about this. It's just the opinion of a guy who happens to own a restaurant with awesome waffle fries.

Opinions are opinions, businesses are businesses, and chicken sandwiches are chicken sandwiches. No need to get caught up between them imo. What do you think about it?

EDIT: Bah, stupid poll glitches. Third option should say, "I don't agree, but it's his company/opinion." and forth should say "Meh, I don't care"
Funny how America is land of the free, land of the freedom of speach regardless of views..... until its unpopular. If you believe in the freedom your country preaches to the world so much, then (for better or worse) he has a right to whatever view he likes and to spend his money however he wants (legally). I don't agree with his views, but the response your suggesting is hypocritical.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
I disagree strongly that it isn't wrong to hold anti-homosexual views. The only reason I think you can say that is because of people like this dude here that espouses hate and hides behind religion to justify it quoting what few scrapes of the bible that address it. The bible has a bigger issue with eating cloven hoofed animals and feeding the poor then they do with men sleeping with men. THAT SAID sectionalism won't solve this problem, it'll only intensify it and like Shinji said, if I refused to visit places where owners had opinions that differed from my own then I wouldn't be able to leave my house.