Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
To reiterate my poll vote: What the hell is a Chick-fil-A?

Also, is he donating his own money to anti-gay lobbying groups or the company's money? Seems to be a little confusion on that part from the news sources I've looked up since reading the OP. If he was just stating his own opinions, then I couldn't care less. A little stupid, perhaps, but entirely his own prerogative. If he was using his own money to donate to a cause I may not agree with, once again within his own rights. If he was using his franchises to spread anti-gay propaganda or using company money to force his own views on others though, then we might have a problem. But then again, there aren't any Chick-fil-As (Chick-fil-A's? Chick-fil-Aies?) in Hawaii so this really has no bearing on me.

Edit: Also, for some reason this link I found in my half-a-minute search for Chick-fil-A annoyed me for some reason. Can't put my finger on it though.

http://chick-fil-a.com/Story/Stories/721

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
omicron1 said:
You have manufactured what you perceive as a civil right (the "right" for gays to marry, and by extension for all public entities to be forced to consider said marriage valid) and are outraged that anyone would have the audacity to speak against that "right." It's roughly analogous to PETA deciding to campaign to give all horses voting rights - no matter how much PETA may think it's normal, not everyone agrees (in this case, fully half the nation, despite the unrelenting one-sided media barrage) and PETA has no right to enforce their "right" on the rest of us.
Discrimination is wrong, there can never be justification for it. Homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexuals the same way as different ethnic groups deserve the same rights. Dividing people up into groups and giving them different levels of civil rights is hateful and evil, no other words for it.

And no its not the same as wanting animals to having voting rights.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
In short some people cannot accept other peoples beliefs and ideals and flat out refuse to be seen with people they disagree with.
You make it sound as though we should be willing to accept all other beliefs and ideals.
o_O maybe I am?

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
In short some people cannot accept other peoples beliefs and ideals and flat out refuse to be seen with people they disagree with.
You make it sound as though we should be willing to accept all other beliefs and ideals.
o_O maybe I am?
Why should we though? What reason is there to be willing to accept all other beliefs and ideals?
we should respect other people's right to have their own ideals

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im sorry if Im not surprised taht the business that doesnt open on sundays is pro consertive/christain.

i actually havent really eaten there in a while but I probably would a few days later if i wasnt hinking about what they support.

Sep 8, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Who gives a fuck. If his chicken tastes good (which it doesn't, because it's an American fast food chain, thus making the food they serve the most disgusting and unhealthy thing you can find) I'm still eating it.
because some of that money goes to support horrible shit that oppresses and dehumanizes me and a lot of people i care about, and im not shiny with that?

if chicken were so important to me that i would hurt the people i care about (and myself, but thats not really important) that would make me a chicken whore, and i would realize i was on the road to becoming my parents and pretty soon i would be keeping a live chicken in my room and painting it bright colors and worshipping it and i would have to kill myself to prevent this from happening. do you want me to keep a live chicken in my room and kill myself?

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Evil Smurf said:
o_O maybe I am?
Why should we though? What reason is there to be willing to accept all other beliefs and ideals?
What a cop out. Why do people throw around the word 'right' in such a ridiculous situation? Oh I guess I better buy from him not to violate the right you made up for him! He's free to have his own ideals, people refusing to buy from him or not accepting his beliefs doesn't stop him.
again, This your belief and I respect your choice :p

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Gottesstrafe said:
To reiterate my poll vote: What the hell is a Chick-fil-A?

Also, is he donating his own money to anti-gay lobbying groups or the company's money? Seems to be a little confusion on that part from the news sources I've looked up since reading the OP. If he was just stating his own opinions, then I couldn't care less. A little stupid, perhaps, but entirely his own prerogative. If he was using his own money to donate to a cause I may not agree with, once again within his own rights. If he was using his franchises to spread anti-gay propaganda or using company money to force his own views on others though, then we might have a problem. But then again, there aren't any Chick-fil-As (Chick-fil-A's? Chick-fil-Aies?) in Hawaii so this really has no bearing on me.

Edit: Also, for some reason this link I found in my half-a-minute search for Chick-fil-A annoyed me for some reason. Can't put my finger on it though.

http://chick-fil-a.com/Story/Stories/721
Chick-fil-a is a fast food place with chicken sandwhichs/nuggets/awesome waffle fries. Pretty simple place really.

Also, from what ive seen, the corporation is donating money to 1 organization which is fighting against homosexual marriage. Other than that one organization, nothing else.

Also, yeah, that link... I dont know.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Those are seriously bad poll options. What were you thinking OP?

The owner of a business is entitled to his opinion. Every business owner will believe in something you don't believe in. The minute you begin boycotting business based on their owner's views is the day you grow your own food and make your own clothing. Have fun with that.

The basic problem is that marriage is both a religious concept and a legal principle. As a religious concept it is defined and bound to the religious context. The Bible is pretty clear: marriage is between a man and a woman. Unfortunately, marriage is also a legal principle whereby two people are joined together in a legal partnership and treated as one entity. This empowers these people to rights that non-married people do not enjoy.

What gays (should) want is to be recognized legally in that same capacity. They currently are not. I feel this is a reasonable expectation and I feel ashamed to live in a time where this is even a debatable issue.

What gays do (and should) not want is to redefine the religious definition of "marriage." That's not any of their business. If religious gays want to be married then tough shit. They chose the wrong religion to believe in piecemeal.

The answer is to separate church from state. The recognition of a couple joined together as one entity and given corresponding rights should be called something other than marriage. Let's go with "Legal Partnership" for now. Legal Partnership should be open to any two people of sufficient age and mental capacity without regard for gender. If people want to get married in the eyes of God at a church then fine. They would be practicing a religious ritual; however, from a legal perspective the "State" should no longer make any distinction between a married person and an unmarried person. The new legal standard is called "Legal Partnership." Or whatever.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Blablahb said:
Evil Smurf said:
Not applicable in this case however, since the guy hates other people for whom they are. And hating homosexuals is not an ideal.
But why should that stop you buying his products?

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Damn it! I really liked Chic-fil-a too. I guess I'll think twice about going to a Chick-fil-a.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Evil Smurf said:
Well that's the real Catch 22, isn't it? Not all beliefs can be defended, and certainly not all should. There is certainly virtue in tolerance of other viewpoints (indeed, the democratic process practically relies on that) but that does not mean that all views have the same qualitative value and/or are defensible or should be treated as such. There is substantial qualitative difference, for instance in the idea that "all men and women are created equal" and the idea that "women were made to serve men". There is a similar difference between teaching tolerance and teaching total passivity. The former is the simple acknowledgement that people have different views, the latter ultimately preaches inaction, that anything that could fall under the heading of 'different viewpoint' is inassailable[footnote]And actually, it takes the former idea and applies a double standard to it, implying that it's ok for some people to act on their personal views, but other people cannot do the same if they disagree[/footnote].

That's what's really getting me about a lot of the posts I've been seeing recently. I'm all for preaching tolerance, but to use so to silence opposition is anathema to the very concept. Tolerance does not forbid conflicting opinions, nor does it forbid those opinions from being voiced on either side or acted upon. Indeed, tolerance ultimately thrives on those things. The guy's entitled to his opinion and he's certainly free to act upon it within the confines of the law, but those who disagree with him possess the same right.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Blablahb said:
Evil Smurf said:
Not applicable in this case however, since the guy hates other people for whom they are. And hating homosexuals is not an ideal.
But why should that stop you buying his products?

well imo i dont want to give money to a massive homophobe who is using some of his profits to fund anti gay movements, if i dont buy from him he cant use the money i gave him to fund these moevments

but while im british i dont need to worry about that but that is they way id see it