Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Also hearing things like "hatred" and "bigotry" people need to remember that just because someone dissents from a view popular to you doesn't make it right to hate them for it, that just makes you a bigot as well.
What kind of bullshit is this? No, people aren't just calling him a bigot because it's dissent from a popular view. Why the hell do supporters of bigotry always lie like that? You don't even know what the word means. He's a bigot because he supports discrimination. This is not a hard concept, even for you I would hope.

If people would spend more time trying to understand peoples concerns about an issue rather than trying to shout them down as a bigot they might actually gain some understanding and be able to work towards a solution.
Provide valid concerns instead of whining that we don't listen to their concerns. Validity of concerns matters. If you can't provide any good ones then you're just crying that people won't give you a nice pat on the back for nothing.

Its to bad gay marriage has been so mishandled by both sides that now people are just to busy hating each other for it rather than finding a solution for the small fraction of people left that originally had the issue. Thus the problem with championing the cause of another.
Mishandled? Yeah right. Bigots can't really be reasoned with too well.
And so you assume I'm on which side of the argument then?
You're very obvious. Particularly where you say the bigots have concerns we should be listening to.

All I have said applies to both sides, that tolerance of people has to work both ways or it does not work at all.
Empty rhetoric. Counter-example: Racists, Nazis, Sexists.

big·ot
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Also not utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion. That would be the homophobes who are ;D

Now who is the bigot?
You.
An thus you prove my point. What have I said that was bigoted?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bigot

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bigoted

Matthew Cusanelli

Jul 21, 2012
I never really ate their to begin with because or stupid prices and baby-sized portions. With this latest development of stupidity coming from the company i have even less reason to give them my money. Companies need to adapt or die.

Besides why would you fund a company that funds hate groups like WBC.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Who gives a fuck. If his chicken tastes good (which it doesn't, because it's an American fast food chain, thus making the food they serve the most disgusting and unhealthy thing you can find) I'm still eating it.
Pretty much exactly this. Even if it was anywhere near quality food, I'm not eating the guy while listening to his ramblings, I'm eating the food his company produces. A boycott would be ineffective anyways, so I'd rather not rob me of some delicious food.

But again, it's an American fastfood chain, so it's disgusting food anyway.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The institution of marriage is older than recorded history. Christianity is not.

Why do they even get a say in the matter?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
targren said:
How the hell is this a shock to any? They're so uber-christian that they're closed on Sundays, for crying out loud. Yes. Every single restaurant. Not open on Sundays, the biggest "go out to a shitty breakfast" day of the week.
Some friends and I speculate that being closed on Sundays might actually have a positive effect on their sales, as people may go "oh crap, tomorrow's Sunday, better get my fix today!" Though yeah, they're pretty obviously super-Christian (might explain why so many are in my area; I'm literally a few miles from Bob Jones).

As for how I'd react, it's not like I didn't suspect this the many times I ate there before. Still, might go to the practically-next-door Zaxby's instead for some trips.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Zen Toombs said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Chick-fil-a hates gay people.
Been there, done that, started boycotting a year ago. It's their right to believe as they choose, and it's also my right to spend my money where I choose.

I do miss the chicken biscuits though..... -_-
That's not what I said; in fact, that's practically the opposite of what I said.

And Jesus Christ, this thread went on for a long time when I was out of town.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
RicoADF said:
Funny how America is land of the free, land of the freedom of speach regardless of views..... until its unpopular. If you believe in the freedom your country preaches to the world so much, then (for better or worse) he has a right to whatever view he likes and to spend his money however he wants (legally). I don't agree with his views, but the response your suggesting is hypocritical.

"Now, I support gay marriage as much as the next guy and I completely disagree with him, but I really don't mind this at all. For one, Chick-fil-a has always been known as a Christian business, what with being closed on the Sabbath and all, so this isn't exactly a shocker. For two, considering all the laughing people did over the "Gay Oreo controversy", it'd be pretty hypocritical to turn around and be mad about this. It's just the opinion of a guy who happens to own a restaurant with awesome waffle fries."

Responses like these confuse me. Did you misinterpret what I said or just make assumptions before reading the whole post?

You can have whatever opinion you want (and again, I actually agree with you) but please understand the original post before commenting.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
90sgamer said:
Those are seriously bad poll options. What were you thinking OP?
I thought I did a decent job actually. I had "very negative", "negative", "respectfully disagreeing", "apathetic", "positive", "unaware", and two stupid things to fill up poll options.

I couldn't exactly put "[super long paragraph about an appropriate compromise between Christian fundamentalists and gay rights advocates]" as a poll option.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I really don't know how I feel about this. I live in Texas and sooooo many businesses here, are either overt in their support of religious groups. Granted Chick fil-a is blatant in their bigotry but damn I love their waffle fries and chicken sandwiches. I dunno what I'm gonna do about it tbh. Sigh I dunno.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't live in North America. This boycott is irrelevant to me.

I'm not saying we don't have crazy religious folk who think gays are going to cause god to get mad an hurt people, but they generally know to keep their crazy views to themselves, and there seem to be much less of them.

The UK has quite a predominantly lot of Anglican views, that while quite conservative and inflexible, generally hold the "God is Good" ideology and abhors the idea that evil comes from God as some sort of punishment. Anyone who says "god's gonna hunt down the gays" will be countered by Christians who says God wouldn't do something so cruel, that God is Good.

Natural disasters just happen. People commit horrible crimes because they are evil. Not God's retribution. Floods happen because it rained, that was caused by the sun shining that was from a giant thermonuclear reaction in the centre of our solar system.

Anglicanism really doesn't have any time for Miracles, either of the salvation or damnation kind. I heard a speech from a Navy Chaplain at the ceremony for my Brother passing out from Royal Navy Officer Training, he read a story from the bible about angels. But he rejected the idea of praying for magical angels to affect situations, but that ordinary human beings stirred by an inner motivation (that you might call spiritual) are to be angels to their fellow man. And that the officers of the Royal navy have to be like angels, but makes clear that angels are no fairies, they are tough when they need to be, yet give comfort as well. The Chaplain also referenced Sodom and Gommorah and opined that they were destroyed by themselves because they were hives of criminality and rape and murder, and no reference to homosexuality at all in his summary.

I though the Chaplain's speech was very good, it dismissed any thought of magical solutions from religion, no praying for magical angels to solve problems, and made clear the most contentious part of Christianity (the story of Sodom) was about how violent vagabonds doom themselves, not that God approves of nuking the gay district.

That's kind of where Britain is with Christianity: no magical intervention by god, and re-framing old-testament god as opposing only the truly evil, those who inflict wanton harm on others, not just homosexuals.

I think anglicanism in the UK HAD to be soft, as in a sense the UK is a Theocracy, the Monarch is the head of the Church of England, the state religion is sewn into the establishment. It CANNOT hold divisive views.

Though there is still resistance in the UK amongst Anglican priests about Same Sex marriage, we currently only have a "Civil Partnership" as an option of same-sex couples, there is still a significant proportion of Anglican parishes and churches of other denominations that really want to be legally allowed to marry same sex couples, and they want this as part of their religion, not in defiance of it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so ... he's another idiot quoting a book, that has nothing to actually say on the subject?

wonderful, just what we need, another empty headed sheep spouting hate

as for boycotting his company, we don't have one up here, so nothing to boycott, though can't say i eat at KFC much or at all ether, not that its bad, but 20+ minutes is a normal wait time

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
RicoADF said:
Funny how America is land of the free, land of the freedom of speach regardless of views..... until its unpopular. If you believe in the freedom your country preaches to the world so much, then (for better or worse) he has a right to whatever view he likes and to spend his money however he wants (legally). I don't agree with his views, but the response your suggesting is hypocritical.

"Now, I support gay marriage as much as the next guy and I completely disagree with him, but I really don't mind this at all. For one, Chick-fil-a has always been known as a Christian business, what with being closed on the Sabbath and all, so this isn't exactly a shocker. For two, considering all the laughing people did over the "Gay Oreo controversy", it'd be pretty hypocritical to turn around and be mad about this. It's just the opinion of a guy who happens to own a restaurant with awesome waffle fries."

Responses like these confuse me. Did you misinterpret what I said or just make assumptions before reading the whole post?

You can have whatever opinion you want (and again, I actually agree with you) but please understand the original post before commenting.
Yeah, I don't know who you are quoting, but it's mainly his opinion, not all Christians oppose gay marriage as it's note defninitevely a Christian belief. Jesus Christ never explicitly said there is nothing wrong with two dudes loving each other, yet he also never explicitly stated it was okay to eat pork and shellfish, even though the old testament specifically forbade them, yet Christians infer from what the-bible-says-that-jesus-said* that there is nothing seriously wrong with eating pork or Shellfish, or mixing dairy and meat. So too, many infer that there is nothing wrong with love between two people who are the same gender.

So many Christians around the world and in America see that Jesus wasn't about following strict and arbitrary rules, but about following the spirit of the ideology, charity and service to humankind.

But the point is the Bible is so full of contradictions any religion or denomination can find any passage or just tradition with no scripture basis to enforce a dogma. Religious people may go on and on about scripture, but the reality is they do what they do under the guise of Almighty Providence.

And my point (if I can remember) is Christians don't all oppose Gay marriage nor all oppose all homosexual relations. It's very much his beliefs that he has decided to take on himself, my problem with religions is the idea of Biblical Infallibility, to spite contradictions just cherry picking either side of the point to serve what you have decided before from elsewhere.

*For reference, when I say "Jesus said" I mean what the bible legend says he said.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Treblaine said:

Yeah, I don't know who you are quoting
/reallyhugefacepalm

I'm quoting myself from the original post of the topic. And again, I basically agree with you, and I never mentioned any sentiments about Christians or the Bible in my post.

Not to be condescending, but please read through and try to understand people before responding, it'll save you from having to write long, unnecessary paragraphs.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Well, clearly a guy having anti-gay views is going to mean the chicken he sells is poisonous to the touch and will bring horrible disease on whoever consumes it.

Wait, no, that's fucking retarded. He sells chicken, he's not a goddamn politician.

Dany

Jul 21, 2012
Meh.

We're entitled to our beliefs. Boycotting someone because they don't support gay marriage is just self-righteous and borderline fascist.