Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Zen Toombs said:
Chick-fil-a hates gay people.
Been there, done that, started boycotting a year ago. It's their right to believe as they choose, and it's also my right to spend my money where I choose.
That's not what I said; in fact, that's practically the opposite of what I said.
Erm, I just double checked your OP, and that is pretty much what you said. I'll edit my post to say that the owner of chick-fil-a doesn't like gay people (seeing as, in point of fact, an organization doesn't have feelings), but I am otherwise confizzled as to how you said the opposite of "chick-fil-a hates gay people" in your OP.
Dany said:
Meh.

We're entitled to our beliefs. Boycotting someone because they don't support gay marriage is just self-righteous and borderline fascist.
You keep using this term, "fascism".

'Sides, if others are entitled to their believe as they will, am I not entitled to spend my money as I will?

Dany

Jul 21, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
Dany said:
Meh.

We're entitled to our beliefs. Boycotting someone because they don't support gay marriage is just self-righteous and borderline fascist.
Self-righteous? Not really. It's like how we don't associate with Nazis much.

And certainly not borderline fascist. You don't know what the word means if you're seriously saying that. Refusing to do business with someone isn't fascist in the least.
How's that double standard working out for you?

Reported.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
No Chick-fil-as in my area. Understandable as my area encompasses San Francisco.

Personally I don't care. If the gays have the support to overturn marriage bans, it's all good. If the fundies have the support to keep it from happening, the world's not ready.

May the ideology with the most backing win.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Dany said:
Zen Toombs said:
am I not entitled to spend my money as I will?
Where the fuck did I say that you can't?

Go away. You're nauseating.
I'm very sorry to say that your troll-fu is quite weak. Visit Mr. Trollagi, he may be able to help you with your problem.

On the off chance I'm wrong and you're just misguided and inflammatory: If I can spend my money as I will, then choosing to not spend my money at a particular place is not "just [being] self-righteous and borderline fascist".

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
While he's entitled to his (ignorant, backwards) opinion, and I'll not be going to Chic-Fil-A unless I have no other option for food, this is kinda old news.

Also I found it unreasonably funny that he attacked the younger generation(s) for having the audacity to try to define marriage, while he himself is defining it as "one man and one woman".

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Zen Toombs said:
Zen Toombs said:
Chick-fil-a hates gay people.
Been there, done that, started boycotting a year ago. It's their right to believe as they choose, and it's also my right to spend my money where I choose.
That's not what I said; in fact, that's practically the opposite of what I said.
Erm, I just double checked your OP, and that is pretty much what you said. I'll edit my post to say that the owner of chick-fil-a doesn't like gay people (seeing as, in point of fact, an organization doesn't have feelings), but I am otherwise confizzled as to how you said the opposite of "chick-fil-a hates gay people" in your OP.
Hm, yeah, I suppose it could be seen that way, but to be clear, I think it's more about his archaic view of what defines marriage and his belief in a religiously influenced government than any sort of hatred towards gay people themselves. Like I said, it's just an opinion. If I thought the owner was legitimately hateful like, say, Westboro or the KKK, then I'd definately have a real problem with his company.

I think that the people who see this as something seriously hateful or evil to fight against are a bit silly. That's why I thought it was the "opposite" of what I said.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I wasn't boycotting anything, but now I'm boycotting gay oreos, because that is a ridiculous poll option.

GO DOWN ON GAY OREOS! I mean, er, GET DOWN WITH GAY OREOS! I mean, um, GET OREO'D BY SOME DUDE NAMED PIZZARO! I MEAN UM

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Hm, yeah, I suppose it could be seen that way, but to be clear, I think it's more about his archaic view of what defines marriage and his belief in a theologically influenced government than any sort of hatred towards gay people themselves. Like I said, it's just an opinion. If I thought the owner was legitimately hateful like, say, Westboro or the KKK, then I'd definately have a real problem with his company.

I think that the people who see this as something seriously hateful or evil to fight against are a bit silly. That's why I thought it was the "opposite" of what I said.
While I'll argue that his strong support of so-called "family-values" groups is a liiitle more than just having an archaic view of marriage, I see your point and back down accordingly.

Anyways, I was already being simplistic for space, so I changed your quote in my first post to the even simpler "OP".
Naeo said:
Also I found it unreasonably funny that he attacked the younger generation(s) for having the audacity to try to define marriage, while he himself is defining it as "one man and one woman".

This one is amused by your cleverness.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Don't curr what he says just keep making delicious sandwiches.

I tried to work there when I was 18 and i'm pretty sure they didn't hire me cause I'm atheist... not that I let them know... BUT I BET THAT'S WHY! Conspiracy I tell ya

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
I don't give a damn?

If he uses his belief to mistreat his fellow human people then yes I'll boycott but other than that I really don't care about his personal beliefs.

Cleffy

Apr 16, 2011
I don't really care because I don't view the gay marriage issue to be at all important. Government should not be in the marriage business in the first place, gay or straight.
However, boycotting Chik-Fil-A is ludicrous for me. OMG the customer service is so excellent. They cut the foam on my rootbeer. They CUT THE FOAM. Also they have pretty good food and remember your face well enough to drop off food to your table. Thats just damn good service.

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
So, I liked Chick-fil-a well enough, particularly because on my campus they're one of the few places to eat, but I don't go there when I'm awake enough to recall that they donate to the places they donate to.
I don't care about the owner's opinions, just like I don't care about the opinions of a single person that works there, but I do care where my money ends up. At least, for the next one or two steps it makes.
If my money is near-directly fueling lobbying against people's rights, then I'm not happy.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
People are still free to be homophobic just like you can't stop people from being racist or sexist. However until the same laws prevent people from discriminating and acting on those beliefs like there are for sexism and racism... we just have to do what we can to discourage it ourselves.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I think that guy came to our school once. I completely blanked out, since I was tired of hearing "the lord" this and "the lord" that. I get that he was Christian, but for fuck's sake, you're here to make us want to eat your food, not convert us.

Either way, this doesn't affect me much. I never ate there.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"Christian family-values"? So if I ever had a kid, I should tie him up to a tablet and stab him to death, because some voice in my head told me to.

Meh, KFC's probably better.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
I boycott all fast food, because it hates my heart. And my stomach.

If the dude owned a company that actually produced healthy, delicious, and reasonably-priced food, would I boycott? Probably not, because I care more about my health than whatever pittance my occasional purchase would end up in his wallet. But why would people eat that crap anyway?!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dany said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Dany said:
Meh.

Self-righteous? Not really. It's like how we don't associate with Nazis much.

And certainly not borderline fascist. You don't know what the word means if you're seriously saying that. Refusing to do business with someone isn't fascist in the least.
How's that double standard working out for you?

Reported.
reported? what for? i dont understand how this guy deserved to be reported

and im gonna be honest it really doesnt help your agrument about facism when you report someone for disagreeing with you unless i have completely missed something here

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
I picked "What the hell is Chick-fil-a?" because I've never seen one. And before this backlash I even hadn't heard of them.
And no, I will not be going there in the future either.