Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
I don't buy it firstly because it is mediocre at best and secondly the whole him being a bad person thing.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Well I would probably be down to boycott chick fill a but it is just too damn tasty. Yeah I wish they'd drop there whole christian family bullshit and all the stupid little rules that come with it(I guess it is a well known fact that god hated Mohawks and piercings?). That being said I'm not sure how any one who would boycott chick fill a would be a hypocrite because of the Oreo thing. I'm not following your line of reasoning there. Whatever public opinion is shifting anyway and I'm sure people like this will be a thing of the past when people realize how idiotic this whole anti gay thing was anyway.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Dragonclaw said:
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
It may not be wrong to hold views like his, but neither is it wrong to decide not to support someone who's views differ so sharply from mine, and who makes it clear that large portions of any money given to him will be used for a cause I cannot support. As a business owner I CHOSE to carry books like Earth-2, Life With Archie and Astonishing X-Men with their gay story lines...some customers voted with their wallet and went elsewhere those weeks out of protest and that's their right. Meanwhile I also got some new customers, as I'm sure Chick Fil A will lose some patrons, but also get some new ones because of their views.

As for me, I like knowing where my money goes, it's impoortant to me. To that end I prefer to shop locally and at smaller mom & pop stores whenever I can because I know that the money will stay local helping my community. Just like online shopping is my absolute last resort because it takes away from the area I live in.
So, that Oreo boycott and all the Million Moms stuff is A-OK with you, right?
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Now usually I'd agree on the 'let them have their opinion' thing but this person's opinion is wrong so we can't let them keep it. Seriously, these Christian family value ideas that get mixed with homophobia are unacceptable and shouldn't be passed on any further so we can actually progress.

omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them.
It is, it's very wrong. You don't necessarily have to like homosexuality but you can't go around enforcing discrimination against gays.
And by "discrimination" you mean "lack of public agreement, not voting for "civil rights" you disagree with, and not wanting your kids indoctrinated by "being gay is a-ok" rhetoric in school?
There is no anti-gay discrimination here. You have manufactured what you perceive as a civil right (the "right" for gays to marry, and by extension for all public entities to be forced to consider said marriage valid) and are outraged that anyone would have the audacity to speak against that "right." It's roughly analogous to PETA deciding to campaign to give all horses voting rights - no matter how much PETA may think it's normal, not everyone agrees (in this case, fully half the nation, despite the unrelenting one-sided media barrage) and PETA has no right to enforce their "right" on the rest of us.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Did God HIMSELF ever actually say that in the bible?
No he did not. In fact, the one line anti-gay Christian groups fall back on only counts towards gay men, says nothing about marriage, and Jesus completely invalidated Leviticus, the book of the Bible that contains that line. Plus hating people is against Jesus's teachings, too.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Screw you, Chick-Fil-A! I'm never eating there again! Mainly because you don't have one in my area! The whole homophobia aspect does contribute slightly, though.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-a (big Chicken fast food chain in the US) recently discussed his views on gay marriage, and he's firmly in the Rick Santorum-esque "Christian family values" camp. It also turns out the company has donated to numerous Christian organizations that lobby against gay marriage.
New interview, but old news. Chick-fil-a has ALWAYS been anti-gay - they've supported all sorts of groups that attack the gay community.

I've been Boycotting Chick-fil-a for years.

And I bought two packs of Oreos recently JUST to support their ad campaign. Not that I minded - yum. ^^

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Chick-fil-a? Sounds like the name of a pervy, misogynistic rapper... Nothin'? Oh well...

Anyway, when are SOME Christians gonna realise that discrimination totally contradicts the bible... That is of course the new testament... Not the old testament, just, just, forget about what the old testament says and... Yeah... Also on that note if there were no gay people there would be no lesbians and everyone loves lesbians... (If that offended you pleeeeease don't take it seriously, If not, then I was being totally serious...)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I was under the impression that Chick-fil-a was a Mormon-based company, which is why they're closed on Sundays. Why is this surprising...or even news? I never ate there because their food sucks. I guess I'll continue to "boycott".

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
omicron1 said:
Dragonclaw said:
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
It may not be wrong to hold views like his, but neither is it wrong to decide not to support someone who's views differ so sharply from mine, and who makes it clear that large portions of any money given to him will be used for a cause I cannot support. As a business owner I CHOSE to carry books like Earth-2, Life With Archie and Astonishing X-Men with their gay story lines...some customers voted with their wallet and went elsewhere those weeks out of protest and that's their right. Meanwhile I also got some new customers, as I'm sure Chick Fil A will lose some patrons, but also get some new ones because of their views.

As for me, I like knowing where my money goes, it's impoortant to me. To that end I prefer to shop locally and at smaller mom & pop stores whenever I can because I know that the money will stay local helping my community. Just like online shopping is my absolute last resort because it takes away from the area I live in.
So, that Oreo boycott and all the Million Moms stuff is A-OK with you, right?
While *I* disagree with the Oreo boycott and think the million moms are crazy (I had them calling my store to object to the Archie and X-Men issues...according to caller-ID they were hundreds of miles away so I doubt their personal boycott of me had any real financial affect) they have every right to vote with their wallets just like I do.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
So if you haven't heard yet, Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-a (big Chicken fast food chain in the US) recently discussed his views on gay marriage, and he's firmly in the Rick Santorum-esque "Christian family values" camp.
Live and let live, free speech etc.

It also turns out the company has donated to numerous Christian organizations that lobby against gay marriage.
Well this is war then.

Anyway I've never heard of this guy or this restaurant chain so it doesn't really mean much to me.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
I find it slightly annoying, but your comparison of this to the gay oreo issue is rather astute. With that in mind however, it does make sense to not support a product that funds or helps fund movements I oppose.

targren

May 13, 2009
How the hell is this a shock to any? They're so uber-christian that they're closed on Sundays, for crying out loud. Yes. Every single restaurant. Not open on Sundays, the biggest "go out to a shitty breakfast" day of the week.

Expecting them to not toe the ignorance-party-line was kind of naive, I feel.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Their food is delicious and I am absolutely not surprised considering the man is a very conservative Christian.
I. Do. Not. Care.
If I find myself in California any time soon, I'll probably eat there because I love their food. This whole thing changes nothing.

SRSavior

Jul 19, 2012
I think that people who say things like, "I don't care what they believe, if their product is good, I'll buy it" are immoral. It just shows that you don't care about the direct consequences of your own actions, especially if you agree with the principles of a free market. Because, if it were a free market system, this is precisely why someone would go out of business, and someone else would come along to replace them, who maybe didn't believe that a large percentage of the population didn't deserve the same rights as they do.

It just shows how banal, selfish and blind the modern consumer really is.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
omicron1 said:
And by "discrimination" you mean "lack of public agreement, not voting for "civil rights" you disagree with, and not wanting your kids indoctrinated by "being gay is a-ok" rhetoric in school?
There is no anti-gay discrimination here. You have manufactured what you perceive as a civil right (the "right" for gays to marry, and by extension for all public entities to be forced to consider said marriage valid) and are outraged that anyone would have the audacity to speak against that "right." It's roughly analogous to PETA deciding to campaign to give all horses voting rights - no matter how much PETA may think it's normal, not everyone agrees (in this case, fully half the nation, despite the unrelenting one-sided media barrage) and PETA has no right to enforce their "right" on the rest of us.
The thing about rights is that they aren't up for public vote.

I wouldn't call it indoctrination, either, to teach kids that it's okay for them to have any sexuality they wish (with other consenting partners). You might as well say that we're indoctrinating kids by teaching them that being black is "a-ok."

It's pretty simple: It's illegal and an unconstitutional infringement of rights to discriminate based on gender. If you can marry a woman, but another woman cannot, then she is being discriminated based on her gender, and that is unconstitutional.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Never heard of the place.

Even if it did come here i'm probably going to stick to KFC for my deep fried chicken needs. I love their potato wedges. Also my money probably won't go to anti-gay lobbyists.