Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I love how homophobic, anti-gay marriage people always refer to the "sanctity of marriage" as if it really exists.

Our country has about a 52% divorce rate. Which means over half of all marriages end in divorce.

If we really want marriage to be sacred, then divorce should be illegal. But that will never happen because that would be the whole "separation of Church and state" thing.

If we can't outlaw divorce based on religious "sanctity", then we shouldn't be able to use the Bible to justify saying that gay marriage is wrong.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
snowfi6916 said:
I love how homophobic, anti-gay marriage people always refer to the "sanctity of marriage" as if it really exists.

Our country has about a 52% divorce rate. Which means over half of all marriages end in divorce.

If we really want marriage to be sacred, then divorce should be illegal. But that will never happen because that would be the whole "separation of Church and state" thing.

If we can't outlaw divorce based on religious "sanctity", then we shouldn't be able to use the Bible to justify saying that gay marriage is wrong.
I think marraige needs to be protected from CELEBRITIES :p They seem to screw up the numbers pretty badly...Just for Larry King, Elizabeth Taylor and Zha Zha Gabor there are 23 happily married couples :) Lets homosexuals marry...but protect marriagge from celebrities at all costs :)

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Fappy said:
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
Thing is the company is actively opposing it. people are welcome not to buy from firms they dont wish to support.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Kliever said:
Cheers to the guy for having is own opinion. If they had one of those places here in New Zealand I'd probably go and try it because of how many people here seem to love it. Seems as though every side is full of ''Bigots'' no matter what way you look at it. Sure some people don't agree with gay marriage,but forcing it down everyone's throats and boycotting a business over one persons view is pretty hypocritical.
1. You're congratulating someone for having an opinion?

...hgnnn...

I think I have a headache now. Thanks.

2. Where exactly are the bigots on the side of "we want everyone to have equal representation under the law"? What's bigoted about wanting to be treated equally?

3. "forcing it down everyone's throats and boycotting a business over one persons view is pretty hypocritical" - In what way? In that everyone's allowed their own opinions and refusing to associate with people we find repugnant is... hypocritical? Because we hold opinions too? Whaaaaat?

4. That "one person" is the co-owner and COO, and he donates money to anti-gay groups. I'd say his opinion is pretty relevant, considering he uses the money of his customers to support those causes.

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
What a lot of people here in the thread aren't getting is that the boycott isn't just because he is against gay marriage, it's because they don't want to give business to a place that donates funds to anti-gay establishments. I think this is a good time to point out one such place that does thes same; the Salvation Army.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dont-donate-to-the-salvation-army/Content?oid=11182500

Telling a gay couple to "break up or we won't offer you any assistance" is a very dick move. Refusing to offer shelter to a mom and her kids is a dick move. It's not "forcing opinion down someone's throat". Refusing to donate to the Salvation Army wouldn't be "hypocritical". Telling gay couples that their orientation doesn't suit the Army's "core beliefs" is just an excuse to justify their bigotry. I don't give a rat's ass about them or Chimp Filet.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I say instead of putting millions of dollars toward lobbying against gay-marriage, how about putting it towards something useful like organizations that actually help people.
Banning gay marriage doesn't help anybody. It wouldn't help Christians, nor would it "save" people who want gay marriage, it will just make people detest Christianity for fighting them and sour them to the religion. There really are more important things to worry about. *Cue story about starving children in Africa*
The less you single out and fight groups of people, the less likely they are to hate you. Maybe if you weren't so busy shutting people down, people would be more likely to listen to your message and would be more open to persuasion. Isn't that the main goal? To get more people to follow Christ, not to make them hate him?
Also, I never ate at Chick-fil-a to begin with because someone who ate there described their food as gross. This doesn't really make me want to eat there any more or less. He spends his money on useless efforts, big deal. Unless he is spending money to commit genocide or physically threaten gay couples personally from getting married, I won't let it stop me from eating there. Like others have said, his views don't necessarily reflect every individual who works there. Boycotting the company for his personal view hurts the people below him regardless of their feelings on the matter.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
It's not wrong to boycott something you don't approve of, gentle being. What, exactly, is the problem here?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Chik-fil-a sucks now and sucked before. Not being down with the faggotry does nothing to change that.

It's just one random douche (albeit a rich one) and his backwards opinions. It'd be like saying we shouldn't watch Disney because the man was an anti-semite. Of course, that's exactly what we did with mel gibson...
and I try to avoid things scientology is involved in...

fuck it, I'm just gonna be my own kind of bigot however I want

EDIT: and before I get modded, as publicly disclosed on this site many times, i fuck dudes, I am allowed to refer to teh buttsecks however I want. Faggotry is a fun word. try it. say it with me

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Buretsu said:
DeltaEdge said:
Like others have said, his views don't necessarily reflect every individual who works there. Boycotting the company for his personal view hurts the people below him regardless of their feelings on the matter.
Well, it's exactly like you yourself said. Instead of putting money toward lobbying against gay marriage, I'd rather put money towards something useful like organizations that actually help people. So useless or not, if I have my choice, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

And I highly doubt anything other than a serious, concentrated, dedicated effort at boycotting will do anything but put the slightest of dents in the company's bottom line.
And when you look at it that way, that's a fine reason not to eat there. That way you're choosing to eat elsewhere because there are more valuable places to eat rather than flat out refusing to eat there under any circumstance because the opinion of one person is one you disagree with even if everyone in that particular restaurant happened to support what you find valuable.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
ElPatron said:
DVS BSTrD said:
where as there is A VERY LOGICAL REASON to keep pedophiles from marrying kids.

Then maybe you should spend your time deriding marriage itself instead of defending bigots who use their God to justify persecuting others.
Which is? Oh, right, cultural reasons. Someone not able to consent in your country might be able in other.
So pedophilia can't be wrong objectively? Is Rape wrong, Or simply taboo? I'm sorry if thinking bigotry, pedophilia and rape are wrong makes me culturally insensitive.

Oh wait, no I'm not.
I think we should go back to the original laws of marriage from the Bible, that would make heads roll lol. If your spouse dies, then you have to marry the next of kin relative to keep the bloodline going, if an unmarried virgin is raped then the rapest must take her as his wife, also the age of consent for marriage or sex would be considered in most modern nations as pedophilia... Also later on in history the ruler could sleep with any woman on their wedding night... So yeah lets go back to traditional marriage lol.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Fappy said:
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
That's not true. From what I've heard from friends who've applied there is part of the application process is them asking your sexual orientation, presumably so they can discriminate against homosexuals trying to get a job. Why any gay person would want to work at an openly anti-gay establishment is beyond me, but still.

People don't seem to be willfully ignorant to the fact that money talks. Here is a guy dropping millions of dollars into anti-gay rights groups and by being a customer you are giving him more money to do so. It's not like he's not allowed to express his bigoted opinions, but when you own a mutli-million dollar company, and you're using it to support groups that support those bigoted opinions that IS a problem. Someone said in the thread that they don't care because his the chicken tastes good, and honestly that is disappointing. This is the same site that got outraged over the incident with Daniel Tosh, so I expected better.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Can you imagine hating gays so much that your willing to allow your views to interfere with your business and hurt your profits? I can't even wrap my head around his motivation.

Lunias

Mar 29, 2011
My opinion? Mr. Cathy (trying not to snicker) can have whatever beliefs he wants, and he can state them outright if he so wishes. HOWEVER, he is not going to get away with calling some of my best friends and me "arrogant" simply because we are pro-gay. I, for one, am no longer going to frequent his chains.

You just had to go and light the match, didn't you?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
In related news, the Muppets have dumped Chick fil A as sponsors because of this. Apparently the CEO of the Muppets Lisa Henson is very pro-gay, and she wasn't going to stand for Muppet toys being sold at Chick fil A after this was announced. I gotta say...go Lisa.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-23/news/sns-rt-us-media-muppets-chickfilabre86n01l-20120723_1_gay-marriage-muppets-facebook-page

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/muppets-huckabee-take-sides-in-chick-fil-a-same-sex-marriage-controversy/