Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
It has come to this, unfortunately. It's wrong to even hold an opinion these days. If you believe in anything remotely controversial to the societal norm then you're a bad person. Quite honestly, I'm surprised taht this thread has been this tame, I expected posts about filing federal injunctions and having his business shut down.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.
Its not like the company drops in a few dollars towards anti-gay marriage groups. The company has dropped MILLIONS. Now I don't hate the company or suggest other people don't eat there. I personally just can't allow my own money to flow towards a cause that I'm so passionately against.

Feel free to eat there, they have amazing chicken sandwiches. (I liked the hot n spicey) Its me that has the issue. Why should everyone else be affected by my personal views.
Dragonclaw said:
They are just starting to expand into Northen California but I wont be trying them out. Like Zack I just don't want money I give anyone to have even a tiny fraction of it be used that way.
I assume you both spend nothing on anything considering that you have no idea where that money is going to end up the moment it leaves your hand?
Of course I can't look into every little bit on where my money goes, but I do know about Chick-fila. I can't consciously give money to an organization that donates money to a cause I'm so strongly against. I'm sure my money has gone to other such things I'm against, but the thing is I don't know about it.

Also many organizations have stances on things, but they don't donate huge sums of money. If oreo went the other way and said "We believe marriage is between a man and a woman." I would still buy their cookies along as they don't start donating. A vocal opinion is one thing a direct action is another.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I'm surprised how many people haven't heard of Chik-fil-a there's like 3 in my area, in fact the local Chik-fil-a sponsored my high school. I'm not that surprised though they close on Sundays after all, I always figured the people at the top were at least somewhat religious. I'll probably continue to eat there because I like their food. I also predict that gay rights groups will probably boycott the chain and try to get some nasty definition that has to do with gay sex attached to the word "Chik-fil-a" like they did with "Santorum".

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Fappy said:
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
It also doesn't mean their food is bad - which last I checked still was the primary reason to visit a restaurant. (That, and to get laid, but I digress)

ejb626 said:
I'm surprised how many people haven't heard of Chik-fil-a
There's this minor thing of them not being present on my continent.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
I disagree with the former, and the issue for him is that he operates with a free market in which consumers are not forced to buy his products.

Mick Golden Blood said:
His opinion on a controversial issue shouldn't determine whether or not you eat from certain restaurants. Jebus guys...
Really? I thought people were free to spend their money as they pleased.

Fappy said:
boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
The thing is that the fellow actively supports the religious right, meaning the money put into his franchise is going to end up part with groups that I oppose. Giving money to your enemy is not wise.

DocBot

The Prettiest Girl
Dec 30, 2009
This was a surprise?
Seriously, this is to be files in the "Crap I have been aware of after going to Chick Fil A on a Sunday" category.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
SRSavior said:
I think that people who say things like, "I don't care what they believe, if their product is good, I'll buy it" are immoral. It just shows that you don't care about the direct consequences of your own actions, especially if you agree with the principles of a free market. Because, if it were a free market system, this is precisely why someone would go out of business, and someone else would come along to replace them, who maybe didn't believe that a large percentage of the population didn't deserve the same rights as they do.

It just shows how banal, selfish and blind the modern consumer really is.
Direct consequences? Buddy, I do not think it is anyone's personal responsibility to track down how each and every piece of their property they gave away was used. I think that is absolutely insane. I also know this guy is anything but a jerk, he just supports a cause that I have no intention to agree with. And that's fine. In the end, his side will lose and I have no issue with him fighting a losing battle. I do like chicken sandwiches though, so I will buy them. If somebody feels this is a big enough issue for them to vote with their dollar, that's also fine, but I don't think it is.

And politics is a decidedly outside of the market force. The market is about supply and demand. I demand chicken sandwiches, he supplies them, there is a fair compromise, therefore the market is free (or is it ergo in this case?). If I think his sandwiches are beneath me because he supports a moron of a politician, then I am allowing outside forces to influence my opinion of his product. I don't that's immoral or anything, but it certainly isn't free-market economics.

And stop trying to claim our side is about civil rights. It's about state recognition of relationships. That is not a right, it is simply right.

DocBot

The Prettiest Girl
Dec 30, 2009
Revnak said:
Their food is delicious and I am absolutely not surprised considering the man is a very conservative Christian.
I. Do. Not. Care.
If I find myself in California any time soon, I'll probably eat there because I love their food. This whole thing changes nothing.
This is exactly what I thought when I read this. Is this some secret news? The owner and the alot of the fundamentals of the company or heavily Christian. So, while not supported, their anti-gay views aren't exactly surprising.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
Oh boy, a discussion about gay marriage on the Internet! This can't possibly go awry!

Lear said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Did God HIMSELF ever actually say that in the bible?
No he did not. In fact, the one line anti-gay Christian groups fall back on only counts towards gay men, says nothing about marriage, and Jesus completely invalidated Leviticus, the book of the Bible that contains that line. Plus hating people is against Jesus's teachings, too.
There are multiple passages from the Bible which denounce homosexual activities. There's the passage in Leviticus (Leviticus 18), Romans 2, and 1 Corinthians 6 (I think). I won't quote them on you, but there is much more than a single passage.

And no, Jesus did not completely invalidate Leviticus. What he did is make the ceremonial law from Leviticus unnecessary -- stuff like sacrifices, ritual cleansing, dietary law, etc. He did not invalidate the moral law -- stuff like laws against murder, incest, bestiality, and yes, homosexuality. Heck, Jesus actually explicitly states in Matthew 5 that he has not come to abolish the law (5:17-19):

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

And opposition to gay marriage is not hate, per se. Opposition to any sin is not hate. It can become hateful, but it doesn't have to be. Are people who oppose allowing medical marijuana hateful? Are people who oppose stem cell research hateful? No, because it has nothing to do with the people involved. It is simply a moral line that conservative Christians do not want to cross.

Avaholic03 said:
I was under the impression that Chick-fil-a was a Mormon-based company, which is why they're closed on Sundays. Why is this surprising...or even news? I never ate there because their food sucks. I guess I'll continue to "boycott".
No, the founder, Truett Cathy, was Southern Baptist.

And really, it isn't surprising at all for the owner of Chick-fil-A to speak out against gay marriage and support organizations that work against it. Chick-fil-A wears its traditional Christianity on its sleeve -- they're closed on Sunday, and (at least the ones near me) play Christian music in the restaurants. This is utterly unsurprising to me, and as a conservative Christian myself (one who believes homosexuality to be immoral, but does not actually oppose allowing gay marriage) it doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm a little impressed with this thread, though. Most posters are being reasonable. Either you guys are saying "I don't agree, but it doesn't really matter" or "Since Chick-fil-A gives money to organizations which I oppose, I don't want to give my money to them". Both of which are reasonable.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
SRSavior said:
I think that people who say things like, "I don't care what they believe, if their product is good, I'll buy it" are immoral. It just shows that you don't care about the direct consequences of your own actions, especially if you agree with the principles of a free market. Because, if it were a free market system, this is precisely why someone would go out of business, and someone else would come along to replace them, who maybe didn't believe that a large percentage of the population didn't deserve the same rights as they do.

It just shows how banal, selfish and blind the modern consumer really is.
Or maybe... people only have so much shit to give [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/6012-Giving-It], and "guy who owns a deliciously disgusting chicken franchise" is probably not high up on that list for most people.

Unless you 100% self reliant (which is near impossible), the chance you will be indirectly (which was the word you were looking for supporting something you disagree with is close to if not 100%. You don't get to decide what battles people should fight, nor do you get to decide what people should be passionate about.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
DrLoveNKiss said:
Revnak said:
Their food is delicious and I am absolutely not surprised considering the man is a very conservative Christian.
I. Do. Not. Care.
If I find myself in California any time soon, I'll probably eat there because I love their food. This whole thing changes nothing.
This is exactly what I thought when I read this. Is this some secret news? The owner and the alot of the fundamentals of the company or heavily Christian. So, while not supported, their anti-gay views aren't exactly surprising.
I find it hilarious that I, as a person who does not care about this, have been insulted for not caring where my money goes by people for whom this was actually news. That's irony right? I'm pretty certain that's irony.

And I was really hoping you were someone who was angry at me for my other comment. I was really hoping to get into an argument about pointless semantics and misleading rhetoric. Those are the best arguments.