Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
So if you haven't heard yet, Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-a (big Chicken fast food chain in the US) recently discussed his views on gay marriage, and he's firmly in the Rick Santorum-esque "Christian family values" camp. It also turns out the company has donated to numerous Christian organizations that lobby against gay marriage.

Here's a quote by him in an interview: "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.

Now, I support gay marriage as much as the next guy and I completely disagree with him, but I really don't mind this at all. For one, Chick-fil-a has always been known as a Christian business, what with being closed on the Sabbath and all, so this isn't exactly a shocker. For two, considering all the laughing people did over the "Gay Oreo controversy", it'd be pretty hypocritical to turn around and be mad about this. It's just the opinion of a guy who happens to own a restaurant with awesome waffle fries.

Opinions are opinions, businesses are businesses, and chicken sandwiches are chicken sandwiches. No need to get caught up between them imo. What do you think about it?

EDIT: Bah, stupid poll glitches. Third option should say, "I don't agree, but it's his company/opinion." and forth should say "Meh, I don't care"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If I were to avoid everything made by people with controversial opinions, I might as well not leave the house anymore.

Walt Disney hated jews but I still like his movies.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.
Its not like the company drops in a few dollars towards anti-gay marriage groups. The company has dropped MILLIONS. Now I don't hate the company or suggest other people don't eat there. I personally just can't allow my own money to flow towards a cause that I'm so passionately against.

Feel free to eat there, they have amazing chicken sandwiches. (I liked the hot n spicey) Its me that has the issue. Why should everyone else be affected by my personal views.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
They are just starting to expand into Northen California but I wont be trying them out. Like Zack I just don't want money I give anyone to have even a tiny fraction of it be used that way.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Casual Shinji said:
If I were to avoid everything made by people with controversial opinions, I might as well not leave the house anymore.

Walt Disney hated jews but I still like his movies.
Avoiding someone with Hateful views is advisable (especially when I go off my happy pills). Its fine to like the product though as long as they don't use it as a propaganda.
That's what I'm getting at.

If I like a product I like a product, whether or not the man/woman behind the product is a homophobic, antisemitic werewolf. Of all the movies, games, and series you like there's bound to be a few that had people with conservative or even controversial views working on them.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
omicron1 said:
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Today's homophobia is yesterday's racism.

It's just bigotry.

OT: Seeing how I have never heard of this fast-food franchise since they are not in my area, it should not be hard to avoid.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
omicron1 said:

It may not be wrong to hold views like his, but neither is it wrong to decide not to support someone who's views differ so sharply from mine, and who makes it clear that large portions of any money given to him will be used for a cause I cannot support. As a business owner I CHOSE to carry books like Earth-2, Life With Archie and Astonishing X-Men with their gay story lines...some customers voted with their wallet and went elsewhere those weeks out of protest and that's their right. Meanwhile I also got some new customers, as I'm sure Chick Fil A will lose some patrons, but also get some new ones because of their views. When people let it be known what causes they give financial support to it affects my decision as a consumer.

As for me, I like knowing where my money goes, it's important to me. To that end I prefer to shop locally and at smaller mom & pop stores whenever I can because I know that the money will stay local helping my community. Just like online shopping is my absolute last resort because it takes away from the area I live in.

Mar 9, 2010
Now usually I'd agree on the 'let them have their opinion' thing but this person's opinion is wrong so we can't let them keep it. Seriously, these Christian family value ideas that get mixed with homophobia are unacceptable and shouldn't be passed on any further so we can actually progress.

omicron1 said:
It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them.
It is, it's very wrong. You don't necessarily have to like homosexuality but you can't go around enforcing discrimination against gays.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
A lot of the Chick-fil-as here are franchised, It would be silly to boycott those restaurants and put those owners through hardship.

Besides I like the chargrilled chicken sandwich...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
jackpackage200 said:
omicron1 said:

Today's homophobia is yesterday's racism.

It's just bigotry.

OT: Seeing how I have never heard of this fast-food franchise since they are not in my area, it should not be hard to avoid.
"I say it's a civil right, so you better treat it like one. Or you're an evil homophobe."
Also,
"Intolerance of liberal position? Totally bigotry. Intolerance of conservative position? A-OK."
When you get right down to it, we're all equally bigots on this issue. So kindly drop the incendiary nomenclature.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
omicron1 said:

It's not illegal to hold or express anti-homosexual views, but of course it's wrong. If you can't judge people by their opinions and actions, then what are you supposed to do?

That said, I doubt I would boycott his company or anything. His anti-homosexual viewpoint makes me dislike him as a person, but if I boycotted every company ran by pricks I'd never be able to eat again.